My dog has lyme disease

music

My dog has just been diagnosed with lymes disease and is on anti-biotics for a month - 8 pills a day. I have heard that it is pretty common down here...have others had much luck with the antibiotics? Thanks :howdy:

morningbell

hmmmmmm
My dog has just been diagnosed with lymes disease and is on anti-biotics for a month - 8 pills a day. I have heard that it is pretty common down here...have others had much luck with the antibiotics? Thanks :howdy:

Its pretty common everywhere Mid Atlantic to New England and Minnesota/Wisconson area. If caught early antibiotic treatment is usually a sucess. Good luck.

dn0121

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

is the pooch vaccinated?

Parrotmomm

What's one more bird?
I believe there are 3 different vaccines but they are not 100%, but they do offer some additional protection. It' generally recommended that unless your "high risk" (spends a lot of time in wooded areas) that you just use topical flea repellents.
With that said I'm so sorry about your dog, I've seen dogs recover really well and others that continue to struggle with symptoms over and over again :( My mother's dog continues to have relapses and is always on antibiotics, I think her weight prior to the infection really set her up for problems (she's a table top she's so big- I could eat off her back it's so flat). On the other hand my BIL's dog had it when he was younger and only now at 14 does he seem to suffer from arthritis, which may not even be related to his Lyme's years ago. I hope your pal is okay :) Definitely do the antibiotics it's the only way to combat this, what vet are you seeing?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Sure there is, my mutts are vaccinated

One of those "waste of time" vaccinations.

Erlichia, which is a tick-borne disease, is actually worse than Lyme and there is NO vaccination.

Some dogs can even show a false positive for Lyme after receiving the vaccination.

music

I believe there are 3 different vaccines but they are not 100%, but they do offer some additional protection. It' generally recommended that unless your "high risk" (spends a lot of time in wooded areas) that you just use topical flea repellents.
With that said I'm so sorry about your dog, I've seen dogs recover really well and others that continue to struggle with symptoms over and over again :( My mother's dog continues to have relapses and is always on antibiotics, I think her weight prior to the infection really set her up for problems (she's a table top she's so big- I could eat off her back it's so flat). On the other hand my BIL's dog had it when he was younger and only now at 14 does he seem to suffer from arthritis, which may not even be related to his Lyme's years ago. I hope your pal is okay :) Definitely do the antibiotics it's the only way to combat this, what vet are you seeing?

I did not get Joy(my dog) vacinated because her brother had such a bad reaction to it. However, she has been on Frontline etc, regularly. She is 11 years old. I take her to All Kinds Vet. I am hoping they caught it in time, she sure doesn't feel very well. I feel bad for her!

dn0121

There is no lymes vaccine :confused:

:howdy: by the way Ms NoSho :killingme

All our dogs are vaccinated for it, and my gf works at SMVH and they give it there. I'll have to ask the vets about it. I like asking them hard questions and making them squirm :evil: they usually just blow it off and realize Im just :elaine:

Last edited:

What symptoms originally caught your attention? Just wondering what to be on the lookout for. Are cats also susceptible?

dawn

What symptoms originally caught your attention? Just wondering what to be on the lookout for. Are cats also susceptible?

I would swear my cat had it last year. He lost his appetite, then became lethargic. We took him to the vets they did blood work said that the blood work showed something going on with his kidney. I questioned if he could have Lyme disease as one of my dogs had it a few years back with the same symptoms, she said cats do not get Lyme disease. They gave me antibiotics and appetite stimulating pills to get him somewhat healthy for them to figure out what was going on with his kidney. Neither medicine seemed to take effect, so we brought him back. When we were in the exam room, I found a tick on the back of his ear and pointed it out to the vet. She pulled it off and dismissed it. They took his temperature and told me his body was shutting down and they suggested putting him down. (mind you I had just put my dog down 6 days before for a wobblers syndrome). I figured they knew what was best. After researching the internet, it appears cats can get it, but when I called and questioned the vet again, she again insisted that cats dont get Lyme disease. So I still don’t know.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
:howdy: by the way Ms NoSho :killingme

All our dogs are vaccinated for it, and my gf works at SMVH and they give it there. I'll have to ask the vets about it. I like asking them hard questions and making them squirm :evil: they usually just blow it off and realize Im just :elaine:

:bawl: Its true, I am suck.

I had no idea about a lymes vaccine. I don't currently have a dog. I wonder if its available for cats too but since cat says its a WOT vaccine then why bother. I wish I could have a dog :ohwell:

I would swear my cat had it last year. He lost his appetite, then became lethargic. We took him to the vets they did blood work said that the blood work showed something going on with his kidney. I questioned if he could have Lyme disease as one of my dogs had it a few years back with the same symptoms, she said cats do not get Lyme disease. They gave me antibiotics and appetite stimulating pills to get him somewhat healthy for them to figure out what was going on with his kidney. Neither medicine seemed to take effect, so we brought him back. When we were in the exam room, I found a tick on the back of his ear and pointed it out to the vet. She pulled it off and dismissed it. They took his temperature and told me his body was shutting down and they suggested putting him down. (mind you I had just put my dog down 6 days before for a wobblers syndrome). I figured they knew what was best. After researching the internet, it appears cats can get it, but when I called and questioned the vet again, she again insisted that cats dont get Lyme disease. So I still don’t know.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I've heard conflicting information as it regards cats also. That's why I asked. My cat spends a lot of time in the woods, and every now and then I find a tick on him, despite the fact that I use Revolution.

music

My dog was acting funny, having a hard time getting up and down, moving, etc. I thought it was because she was getting older. Then she started limping with her front leg and just seemed like she didn't "feel" well. She wouldn't even get up when i came home from work, etc. So, even though she is getting older the vet seems to think that some of her "soreness" etc may be from the lymes disease. By the way the vet told me that cats cannot get lymes disease, since I have two of them.

shamrockmommy

My bichon girl, Lexi, was dx'd with it this spring. Gave her a month of antibiotics also and she is fine now- no big deal. I nearly forgot until I saw your thread.

I was able to catch it in the early stages though (had removed a tic recently, she was lethargic and had a rash on her belly where the tic was).

Good luck.

music

Do you think Lyme Disease can affect the temperment of a dog, possibly make a dog behave more aggressively?

It seemed to make mine very lethargic and unwilling to get up and move around, etc. I have no idea about making a dog more aggressive.