My first turkey!

sm8

If you coat cheesecloth in butter and place it over the turkey while cooking it helps keep it moist and the skin from burning but lets it get crispy. Then you will not have to worry about basting.

homedepot20

If you coat cheesecloth in butter and place it over the turkey while cooking it helps keep it moist and the skin from burning but lets it get crispy. Then you will not have to worry about basting.

:howdy: Is this better than using a oven roasting bag ? :whistle:

acommondisaster

A couple of years ago I started cooking the turkey unstuffed and do the stuffing in the slow cooker. I salt and pepper inside the bird, add half and onion, a stalk of celery and one of those little herb packs you get in the store (sage, thyme, etc). Turkey cooks in less time and doesn't dry out - and it smells yummy. I add chicken or vegetable broth the the stuffing as it cooks if it seems to be drying out. As someone who vowed that stuffing belonged in the bird, I am a convert.

As far as those bags go, to me, while they're probably the most moist, it's steamed. :-/

lovinmaryland

Remember those wings I brought to that UFC fight at Mojo's? They were made in it. It makes unbelievable wings.

This year I will be smoking my turkey and then finish it in TBE (The Big Easy.)

Yea those things were addicting!! Ok now I really want to get one of those, is it easy to operate?

somdfunguy

not impressed
It comes with a small one but I get most of the info from my Smokers forum. I bought two accessories that really make it worth while. There are trays that fit in the basket so you can do smaller items like wings. Also rib hooks to hang baby backs on.

I've done a few roasts and most of the pics are up on Facebook. I can add you to the Smokers group so you can see them. My favorite was the pork loin that I butterflied and stuffed with broccoli, rice, and smoked cheddar.

calvcopf

Im cooking my first turkey this year for thanksgiving....19 lbs...any advice, do's or dont's?
:howdy:

also put a piece of aluminum foil over the top (very loose) to keep it from burning the skin and keep basting it with the juices in the bottom of the pan..good luck!

lovinmaryland

It comes with a small one but I get most of the info from my Smokers forum. I bought two accessories that really make it worth while. There are trays that fit in the basket so you can do smaller items like wings. Also rib hooks to hang baby backs on.

I've done a few roasts and most of the pics are up on Facebook. I can add you to the Smokers group so you can see them. My favorite was the pork loin that I butterflied and stuffed with broccoli, rice, and smoked cheddar.

Ok cool. Would you mind posting which smoker you have also. Big B has been wanting one of those for years. He really would like the fish he catches.