Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
He got this one in St Marys this year..

Attachments

• 1203091709.jpg
    1203091709.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 240

cmhurley1

Just curious...what do you base this opinion on?

Mainly the still very youthful brown coloring of his coat, he's not as grayish as most older bucks i have seen. Also i don't see a lot of mass/stickers at the bases of his antlers, and his chest doesn't appear to be very 'deep,' of course, that rack would dwarf a 150 pound animals body. No very good indicators, it is just a picture after all, but there's enough for me to formulate the opinion that this deer probably wasn't over the age of 5 or so. God knows I'm no expert though, for all i really know this deer was older then me :shrug:

bulldog

Mainly the still very youthful brown coloring of his coat, he's not as grayish as most older bucks i have seen. Also i don't see a lot of mass/stickers at the bases of his antlers, and his chest doesn't appear to be very 'deep,' of course, that rack would dwarf a 150 pound animals body. No very good indicators, it is just a picture after all, but there's enough for me to formulate the opinion that this deer probably wasn't over the age of 5 or so. God knows I'm no expert though, for all i really know this deer was older then me :shrug:

Okay, thanks. Like I said, just curious...as I am when anyone tries to age a deer on the hoof (or dead in this case). I read from the experts that they are guesses at best and the only accurate way to tell is by using the lower jaw to age the teeth...and even that is not exact.
That said, around here were very few people let any bucks walk, any deer 3.5 or older is doing very well IMO. Would love to see more older deer, but probably not going to happen.

cmhurley1

Okay, thanks. Like I said, just curious...as I am when anyone tries to age a deer on the hoof (or dead in this case). I read from the experts that they are guesses at best and the only accurate way to tell is by using the lower jaw to age the teeth...and even that is not exact.
That said, around here were very few people let any bucks walk, any deer 3.5 or older is doing very well IMO. Would love to see more older deer, but probably not going to happen.

yes the most accurate way is to observe the wear and tear on the deers jaw, ive heard if you know what to look for (which i don't) it can be accurate to within about a year. maybe even less.

I'm one of those people myself, it'd have to be pretty sad looking buck for me to pass on a shot. ive gone whole seasons (sep-jan) without seeing a single antlered deer, so i usually try and capitalize on any chance i get. its ok though, i'm not a trophy hunter, i just like being out in a tree, and i love venison

bulldog

yes the most accurate way is to observe the wear and tear on the deers jaw, ive heard if you know what to look for (which i don't) it can be accurate to within about a year. maybe even less.

I'm one of those people myself, it'd have to be pretty sad looking buck for me to pass on a shot. ive gone whole seasons (sep-jan) without seeing a single antlered deer, so i usually try and capitalize on any chance i get. its ok though, i'm not a trophy hunter, i just like being out in a tree, and i love venison

:buddies: :buddies: I'm with you. Not much beats being up in a tree waiting, hoping, wondering if/when that deer will show up. I have been very, very fortunate to kill good bucks over the last several years so now I'm spoiled. I shoot only does and let bucks walk...unless they are at least 8 points, inside spread is outside the ears and I "think", based on best guess that they are at least 3.5 years old. I got a 4.5 year old (tooth aged by DNR) 10 point this year that was only 12" wide that I mistook for wider and once I walked up on him wished I'd of let him pass. After a close once-over, I'm glad I took him cause he was an older deer with some unique business in his narrow rack.
It's all good. They are all trophys, especially with a bow. Kill what makes you happy and screw everyone elses opinion.