My HVAC Nightmare

Radiant1

Soul Probe
My HVAC unit went out once last summer at which time my landlady called a service out of Lusby that claims to Allways be There (you know 24/7 service etc). They came out the next day and fixed her right up. Since I had to be there I lost one day of work, but, hey,that's to be expected. So far, great! Right? Right!

Well, the unit went out again in early Winter. It took them three days to get there to fix it. In the meantime, I had to use emergency heat ($$) and I lost another day of work when they showed up to repair it. At this time they talked my landlady into buying a new HVAC system, which was cool because the other system was pretty old and outdated but that was going to cost me a few more days of emergency heat ($$) and another day's work. This was ok of course except... they never actually finished the job. They left a huge gaping hole in one of the walls to access the old unit, which would be understandable if it weren't for the fact that you could access it through a closet door! I asked if the hole was going to be fixed and I was assured it would during their routine Spring maintenance. In addition, since it was Winter, they didn't hook up the A/C stating they will also do that along with their Spring maintenance. It was during a cold spell and they had a lot of calls. I sure as heck wasn't going to be using the A/C at that time so it was understandable to finish the job later.

The second day using my new HVAC system it stopped working. They said on the phone it was probably the thermostat since I couldn't use the emergency heat this time. It took them three days to come back and fix it while in the meantime I was using space heaters ($$) and lost another days work. I was told that the thermostat was replaced but it needed to be re-wired and they would do that during their Spring maintenance.

Subsequently, about a month later, the unit froze up (as in with ice). I had to wait five days in the coldest part of the Winter to get my unit running again. I was able to use emergency heat in the meantime ($$) and of course I lost another days work when they showed up. When they repaired that issue they went ahead and re-wired the thermostat by moving it and leaving another unpatched hole in the wall where the old one was located. I complained and I was assured all would be taken care of during their Spring maintenance.

I'm not sure what type of service contract my landlady has with these people, but she was charged for parts and labor for each visit even though the unit was most assuredly still under warranty.

So, they finally came out for their Spring maintenance, costing me another days work, and... I still have holes in my walls. :mad: But hey, my A/C is working for now so I guess I should be thankful for that, right? :yay:

Am I wrong in my expectations? Am I wrong in thinking that this has been a botched job from the get go? My landlady will be calling someone else in the future and of course I have my handy dandy man to patch the walls and repaint, but it seems to me they should have done what they said they would. Luckily, my landlady is cool enough to have given me a discount on rent due to the days I spent using emergency heat. This job ended up costing her a lot more money than it had to. :ohwell:

Chris0nllyn

Sounds like a fubar'd install from the beginning.

I'm always sketched out by "we'll totally remember and come back in a few months because we're too busy to finish the job now".

They installed a new system but didn't provide a new t-stat? They didn't even check to see if it was wired correctly? Then when they did re-wire it, they moved it? Did they move it because it's the best location for temp. measurement or because it was easier for them to simply run new wire?

It froze up most likely because it had a leak and Freon leaked out. Again, a mistake by them.

Sure your A/C works now, but I'd be afraid (and buy some window units) :lol: Not to jinx you or anything.

What company was it, by chance?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
As someone who has a rental property, I don't burden my tenants if something needs attention and a technician needs to come out. I try to schedule maintenance and service calls later in the afternoon or around lunch when me or my husband can be there. This might be worth mentioning in the future.

Sorry about your HVAC unit. :flowers:

glhs837

Power with Control
As someone who has a rental property, I don't burden my tenants if something needs attention and a technician needs to come out. I try to schedule maintenance and service calls later in the afternoon or around lunch when me or my husband can be there. This might be worth mentioning in the future.

Same here, but usually my tenant offers to cover since she's on disability and doesnt work.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

^This^

Why are you having to fool with that? Usually the landlord takes care of it. She should also be the one bitching because they keep punching holes in her walls and not fixing them.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
^This^

Why are you having to fool with that? Usually the landlord takes care of it. She should also be the one bitching because they keep punching holes in her walls and not fixing them.

Yep..that. Speaking as a long-time landlord, I don't want my tenants to have anything to do with repairs or work related to basic infrastructure like appliances, plumbing, electrical and HVAC. Not their problem, first of all, and don't want them potentially making a problem worse with a misguided "I can fix dis" approach.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Sounds like a fubar'd install from the beginning.

I'm always sketched out by "we'll totally remember and come back in a few months because we're too busy to finish the job now".

They installed a new system but didn't provide a new t-stat? They didn't even check to see if it was wired correctly? Then when they did re-wire it, they moved it? Did they move it because it's the best location for temp. measurement or because it was easier for them to simply run new wire?

It froze up most likely because it had a leak and Freon leaked out. Again, a mistake by them.

Sure your A/C works now, but I'd be afraid (and buy some window units) :lol: Not to jinx you or anything.

What company was it, by chance?

Yeah, I thought it was botched from the get go as well, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if that was the case or not. When they re-wired the thermostat, they moved the entire thing to where the 'wires run straight', so yeah, it was easier. Please don't jinx me, god knows if it happens it will be on the hottest day of the year! :lol: Re-read the first sentence in the OP and take heed.

My landlady lives in PA and doesn't use a property manager. She comes down on occasion. I don't mind taking a day off for such things here and there, but this was excessive.

Yep..that. Speaking as a long-time landlord, I don't want my tenants to have anything to do with repairs or work related to basic infrastructure like appliances, plumbing, electrical and HVAC. Not their problem, first of all, and don't want them potentially making a problem worse with a misguided "I can fix dis" approach.

The only work will be to patch and paint the holes in the wall. She's more than happy if I do small things to upkeep and will give me a discount on the rent for the work.

lucky_bee

RBF expert

As a renter with pets, I believe it was written in my previous lease agreement that should anyone need to come out to the property for anything, I had to be present because of the pets. Regardless of breed. My current landlords didn't write that in, but they're local and I only live 10 mins from work so we're usually able to figure something out. I have on occasion not been there but I try to always be, or stop by soon after. Someone coming into my house in the middle of the day will wake the dog from her 8-hour power nap and she'll have to pee and it's not his responsibility to walk the Queen :lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The only work will be to patch and paint the holes in the wall. She's more than happy if I do small things to upkeep and will give me a discount on the rent for the work.

That's typical..and does not fall under the categories I mentioned above, like anything to to with the HVAC.

HotPinkChicken

I just want to say that I have had a few run ins with him and his family. I know they are just people trying to make a living, but they were always very shady to me. I never trusted them and I would never consider using his business.

NIU_Huskies

Going without HVAC is horrible. I was without A/C from July through September last year because the home warranty company took forever to fix my system and ultimately determine that they were going to do a full system replacement.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I just want to say that I have had a few run ins with him and his family. I know they are just people trying to make a living, but they were always very shady to me. I never trusted them and I would never consider using his business.

Shady is a good description! After their first time out to the house I had searched somd.com and the forums for their name but nothing came up.

OP- What company do you speak of?

All I know is that they are allways there and will come from Lusby just to screw your stuff up.

Restitution

Sounds like they belong to the Southern Maryland Oil-class of HVAC work. Those bastards screwed me royally. Will NEVER recommend them to anyone or use their services again!!!