My MIL got scammed

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Got a call from my MIL asking me if I knew where my 18 year old son was. Technically since he was no longer going to school since Seniors got let out last Friday, I really didn't. She said that he just called her from Mexico City and had been arrested. Well, I knew darn well that was a lie and told her she got scammed. She didn't believe me. She said it was definitely our son and he had gotten arrested for a rear end car accident and needed $900 in the next 30 minutes to get out of jail. Again, I told her she got scammed. Again, she didn't believe me. She ended up wiring $950 cash to some place in Mexico. The fact that she had to go to a Mexican restaurant (which the caller told her by name) to wire this money never occurred to her to be strange. I told her to call the cops and that she will probably never see that money again.

Now this woman for the last 22 years that I've known her has told me how smart she is and basically how stupid I was. Well, Sista... I wasn't scammed out of $900 so who's stupid now. :lol:

TCROW

Wait now.

I realize relationships with mothers in law is almost adversarial by default ... but you’re laughing at her misfortune?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Got a call from my MIL asking me if I knew where my 18 year old son was. Technically since he was no longer going to school since Seniors got let out last Friday, I really didn't. She said that he just called her from Mexico City and had been arrested. Well, I knew darn well that was a lie and told her she got scammed. She didn't believe me. She said it was definitely our son and he had gotten arrested for a rear end car accident and needed $900 in the next 30 minutes to get out of jail. Again, I told her she got scammed. Again, she didn't believe me. She ended up wiring $950 cash to some place in Mexico. The fact that she had to go to a Mexican restaurant (which the caller told her by name) to wire this money never occurred to her to be strange. I told her to call the cops and that she will probably never see that money again.

Now this woman for the last 22 years that I've known her has told me how smart she is and basically how stupid I was. Well, Sista... I wasn't scammed out of $900 so who's stupid now. :lol:
Where did your son turn up?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Wait now.

I realize relationships with mothers in law is almost adversarial by default ... but you’re laughing at her misfortune?
No, I feel bad that she was scammed but I find it ironic that she has called me stupid my entire marriage and then she is the one who falls for this scam. She knows I work for the Police and said she should have called me first to find out if it was true or not .

glhs837

Power with Control
Wait now.

No, they are not. But really, unless she needs that money for heart meds or is out of it with mental issues, I'm okay with laughing. The signs of a scam were written in huge bold letters all over this. Even if not, there was an easy cutout. she had 30 minutes, taking two 2 minutes to verify with Mom where the kid was seems pretty easy.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
No, they are not. But really, unless she needs that money for heart meds or is out of it with mental issues, I'm okay with laughing. The signs of a scam were written in huge bold letters all over this. Even if not, there was an easy cutout. she had 30 minutes, taking two 2 minutes to verify with Mom where the kid was seems pretty easy.
They have plenty of money and even she said, "Oh well, it's only $900". I forgot to mention, the scammers called her FOUR TIMES during this so she had plenty of opportunity to realize what was happening.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I am the princess of Korscamza, a tiny little village in Africa. If you could provide me your MIL's phone number, I would like to ask her to wire me funds so that I could get a VISA and travel to America, where I will meet up with her to reimburse her double the amount she wires to me............

TCROW

No, I feel bad that she was scammed but I find it ironic that she has called me stupid my entire marriage and then she is the one who falls for this scam. She knows I work for the Police and said she should have called me first to find out if it was true or not .

Fair enough.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I am the princess of Korscamza, a tiny little village in Africa. If you could provide me your MIL's phone number, I would like to ask her to wire me funds so that I could get a VISA and travel to America, where I will meet up with her to reimburse her double the amount she wires to me............
Funny. You dont' spell like a Nigerian Princess.

Hmmm...

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
When my husband called her later last night to ask her about it, she told him his father kept telling her it was a scam. But they have separate bank accounts so if she wanted to waste $900, he couldn't stop her.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
When my husband called her later last night to ask her about it, she told him his father kept telling her it was a scam. But they have separate bank accounts so if she wanted to waste $900, he couldn't stop her.

She's ensured her place on the scammers list now.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
She's ensured her place on the scammers list now.
Apparently this wasn't the first time she had gotten scammed either so they already had her name. She kept swearing that it was my son on the other end of the phone.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Here is the email she sent I guess before she got a hold of me giving a play by play of what happened. :rolleyes:

I have tried reaching (ME) at home and on her cellphone, but no answer. First of all., do you know where (SON) is ???? He called us about 1:00 p.m. today from Mexico City the Court House!! He needed $900.00 wired to him to pay off the officials for a rear end tap in a rented car.I am pretty sure it was truly (SON). I have spoken with James Moore an attorney from the American Embassy who is working with the boys to get them released, return their passports and get them back home. Sounds legit. Anyway, we have wired $950 to BanCoppel (bank) in Mexico City for (SON). He has a court hearing right now and needs to pay over the money. The attorney from the Embassy is meeting him there. Says this kind of thing happens very often. Apparently, (SON) cellphone doesn't work down there so he has been trying to use pay phones and reception is terrible. He was embarrassed to call you. The attorney is supposed to call us back when the hearing is over, and I will give him your number because he should speak directly with you!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Karma is a bittersweet thing.

I'm kind of shocked that anyone would fall for that old scam.