MY pony went lame today

IntegritysDream

This SUCKS
took him out of stall to ride, majorly limping

dead lame in right front.

Swelling along tendon and front of pasturn area, some heat, but not like HOT.. cold hosed twice, gave some bute, put standing wraps on, on stall rest for rest of day, and tomorrow. Hes not like touchy to it when we press along his tendon area... its weird,

Friends mom came and looked at him cause everyone else was not really around, she thinks hes getting ready to blow a absess.. lets PRAY thats what it is!

Girl that brought him in last night said he definatly was not lame then, he was all energetic and a spit fire, so he either did something then and is feeling it today, or hoping/praying its just a absess!

I think my sort-of trainer is going to Pultice him tomorrow.. well.. teach me so i can do it i should say.

No show this weekend =/
Poor little fella! He looks so pitiful!

Last edited:

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
I hope he gets better soon!!! a good way to bust an (umm i dont think im going to spell this right) abscess, is to clean out the hoof, pack it with pine tar (i cant remember the EXACT name of the stuff we use, but i know its mostly pine tar), put a baby diaper on it, then take a feed bag, cut the bottom coner out (enough for the hoof to fit in) and wrap duct tape around the whole thing. This is if you dont have a boot for him... a vet told us to do this and it works well.

covekat

Instead of dealing with the mess of Poultice, you can wet an Animalintex pad, cover the affected are and wrap a standing bandage over it...

Poultice dries, and then stops working... although we use it, I've found the Animalintex does a really good job.

You can also use it on feet for an abcess... really helps to draw out infection, we also use it on leg wounds if there is a slight infection!

You just cut the pad to fit, dip in a little hot water and wrap. The reason I like to use it for cuts, and abcesses is because you can see what comes out on the pad... and you know when the are stops draining, (clean pad).

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Instead of dealing with the mess of Poultice, you can wet an Animalintex pad, cover the affected are and wrap a standing bandage over it...

Poultice dries, and then stops working... although we use it, I've found the Animalintex does a really good job.

You can also use it on feet for an abcess... really helps to draw out infection, we also use it on leg wounds if there is a slight infection!

You just cut the pad to fit, dip in a little hot water and wrap. The reason I like to use it for cuts, and abcesses is because you can see what comes out on the pad... and you know when the are stops draining, (clean pad).

Great information Covekat. :yahoo:

I found this page all about Animalintex.

http://www9.3m.com/us/healthcare/professionals/animalcare/pdfs/equine.pdf

IntegritysDream

Well we did the pultice and everything and my one trainer looked at his hoof and did the hoof check, and its not a absess... plus the bute and all really helped him and if it was a absess it wouldnt have. However, after being in 3 days and doing the pultice and having standing wraps on, today i hand trotted him and hes about 98% sound again, so we think he just strained something. I only gave him bute once which was the evening i first noticed it. Hes still a little puffy in that one spot, but hes getting better so im relieved. BUT we still arent out of the ball park. Gonna give him a few more days off and then maybe hop on him later this week and do some walking and see how it goes.

covekat

Glad to hear he's doing better... just make sure you cold hose him for at least 20 minutes a day.. twice is even better, that should really help take the swelling down!