My poor baby.....what a scare!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Poor baby Chase....choked last night and was still slobbering this afternoon, so Rottncop had to drag him into the vet today....now he's put up, in his blankie all alone....poor little fella.
That's TERRIBLE stuff, choke, i've never had one do it before.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Ive unfortunately had choke 3 times here. 2 from one horse. 1 from another. Both my horses - my appy did it twice no apparent reason, massaging her throatlatch and a hose on LOW pressure worked. After I sold her (ofcourse that was disclosed to buyer) She choked one more time. I went over ASAP and massaged it gone. You feel so helpless them frothing, coughing and hanging head so low. God it looks like they are dying.
My arab had an episode after being introduced to a new gelding here. I guess it was nerves and he wanted to inhale his hay. Im sorry you had to go through that Happy.
Oh and when I was 12yo my welch "Chaddy" had to go to Leesburg for choke surgery. They removed a wad of swollen pellets from his asphogus (mis sp?).

W

WildHorses

happyappygirl said:
Poor baby Chase....choked last night and was still slobbering this afternoon, so Rottncop had to drag him into the vet today....now he's put up, in his blankie all alone....poor little fella.
That's TERRIBLE stuff, choke, i've never had one do it before.

Hope he is okay. :flowers: Have only seen one choke and that was recently. Vet told us via telephone to run a hose across the tongue through the opening at the back of the mouth with water at low pressure. Worked beautifully, but never want to see that again, it is so scary.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
It was the young baby Chase (6 mos) i've never seen it before and was terrified he had an instant case of strangles...but that just didn't feel right, he was absolutely fine one minute and gasping and slobbering the next. He was eating pellets at the time. I don't feed textured. Vet recommended starting him on textured, but he won't touch that at all, (he took a mouthful and let most of it fall out last night) maybe he's afraid of grain now? is that possible? or maybe his throat is sore?

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
I had the same horse choke a couple differnt times. 1 time on some hay cubes that he did not chew properly and 1 time he choked on pellets. It was a real scarry thing to see and it makes you feel so helpless. The vet had to tube him both times to get it to pass. Afterwards I took a couple of good sized rocks and put in his feed bucket so he had to pick around his food and slow down.

W

WildHorses

happyappygirl said:
It was the young baby Chase (6 mos) i've never seen it before and was terrified he had an instant case of strangles...but that just didn't feel right, he was absolutely fine one minute and gasping and slobbering the next. He was eating pellets at the time. I don't feed textured. Vet recommended starting him on textured, but he won't touch that at all, (he took a mouthful and let most of it fall out last night) maybe he's afraid of grain now? is that possible? or maybe his throat is sore?

Most likely it's a sore throat. :flowers: Is it dry textured or with molasses? If dry, try adding a little molasses. We can't get our horses to eat dry grain at all -- spoiled brats that they are. :lmao: Good luck. :howdy:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
happyappygirl said:

Also the vet did suggest that I did not give him pellets again and if I were to give him haycubes I should water them down 1st. And it did take him a couple of days before he wanted to eat. I've never made bran mash but I was told that it would be easier to get down. Glad he's doin better.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
happyappygirl said:
We had a friends horse choke a few years ago when we were boarding at the same barn. She apparently choked on her grain. It was very scary even though it wasn't our horse! The vet had to come out and use water and mineral oil. She was kept off all pellets, grain, carrots, etc. for 2 weeks and then gradually worked back up to her regular ration. The scary thing about choke is the esoph. can sometimes stretch and also form a pocket that will be prone to catching pellets or grain in the future. That is why some horses seem to be prone to it. They may not be eating too fast - they have a pocket in the lining that the food builds up in. I'd keep him on soft grass hay and then gradually start him on blue seal senior that was soaked and softened up - we fed that to one of ours without teeth! I'm thinking of you guys!

W

WildHorses

HorseLady said:
We had a friends horse choke a few years ago when we were boarding at the same barn. She apparently choked on her grain. It was very scary even though it wasn't our horse! The vet had to come out and use water and mineral oil. She was kept off all pellets, grain, carrots, etc. for 2 weeks and then gradually worked back up to her regular ration. The scary thing about choke is the esoph. can sometimes stretch and also form a pocket that will be prone to catching pellets or grain in the future. That is why some horses seem to be prone to it. They may not be eating too fast - they have a pocket in the lining that the food builds up in. I'd keep him on soft grass hay and then gradually start him on blue seal senior that was soaked and softened up - we fed that to one of ours without teeth! I'm thinking of you guys!

Haven't met a horse yet who won't eat that Blue Seal Senior! :lmao: In case anyone is thinking SPAM, I have not been paid to make this endorsement in either currency or kind. :flowers:

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Blue Seal is the absolute BEST senior feed! If I ever have a horse that needs to put on a few pounds it is the first thing I reach for. We gave away a horse a few years ago - the one with no teeth! - and that is all he eats. He eats it dry now and that is all he eats. He'll chew hay but it all falls out of his mouth as he can't grind it and swallow it. Just be sure to feed it by weight and not volume. The biggest difference is it is totally processed feed. There are no grain or beet pulp pieces to chew as with some senior feeds. I always have a bag around - it is great as a treat too - no sticky sweet feed in my pockets!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Poor kid, i tried him on some pellets again tonight, a few in my hand, and he coughed AGAIN, then wouldn't eat. He was SO hungry....i gave him a dose of banamine, and went to the feed room to mix some oat bran, with some pellets and soaked the whole mess in warm water, and took it out to him. Blitz WANTED some of what momma had....and kept nosing into the bucket :lol: and i fed that baby boy by hand (prying his mough open with my finger and popping some mush in, listening for him to chew and swallow, and repeating, for about 10 minutes, then i guess the banamine kicked in and he started slurping it then he went at it with gusto. All the while my son (17) is yelling from the porch MOOOOOM the timer on the oven is giong off!!! I'm HOOOOONGRY!!!!!!!!!! :lol: That boy didn't get fed until AFTER Chase ate :lol:

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Vet dosed it 1x a day for 500lb baby. paste form. i'm having Rottncop feed him the mash twice a day now. he hasn't called me yet this am to tell me if he ate without the banamine. i told him not to give it this am unless he couldn't eat it, then he would have to give it. I can't free feed the stallion is in with them, and he'd never leave the feeder, and explode himself.