My Venn Diagram

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

I posted this for two reasons.

First, because none of these three priorities is the sole winner. Each priority is equally important and, as such, navigating the COVID-19 pandemic requires really precise balancing.

Second, because it links back to an earlier thread of mine:

This Venn diagram is a perfect example of the competing EQUITIES I mentioned in the thread.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Yooper

I forgot to add this from Scott Adams to the above post (#2). Listen from about the 15:00 mark where he talks about Nate Silver and how government has reacted to the COVID-19 pandemic. I don't necessarily agree with the fine points Adams makes, but I do agree with the direction of his comments.

--- End of line (MCP)

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The level of anxiety and subsequent government knee jerking doesn't reflect our reality. Sure I think it's a cause for concern.

Here in Texas they have 30 million people. Yet only slightly more than 1,400 deaths total. The county where we are staying has a population of around 147,000. The list 10 people currently infected. The death toll is a whopping 6 people. I'm sure the death of those 6 people was devastating to their families. But did that justify severely modifying the lives of the other 146,994 people? Given the way I've seen drivers zip along on I35, I bet they've had more traffic deaths in the same time span. I guess that means they will be lowering the speed limit shortly.

Yooper

Oh, my. Listening to Scott Adams newest podcast.

The two minutes (or so) starting at about 1:55 is glorious. EXACTLY my sentiment. EXACTLY.

PUBLIC POLICY MAKING AND IMPLEMENTATION IS DIFFICULT. Because seeing into the future is at best imprecise and balancing what we think might happen against known EQUITIES is REALLY TOUGH.

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

The level of anxiety and subsequent government knee jerking doesn't reflect our reality. Sure I think it's a cause for concern.

Here in Texas they have 30 million people. Yet only slightly more than 1,400 deaths total. The county where we are staying has a population of around 147,000. The list 10 people currently infected. The death toll is a whopping 6 people. I'm sure the death of those 6 people was devastating to their families. But did that justify severely modifying the lives of the other 146,994 people? Given the way I've seen drivers zip along on I35, I bet they've had more traffic deaths in the same time span. I guess that means they will be lowering the speed limit shortly.
I hear you. But listen to the two minutes (plus) I just posted about (above, #5). Part of the national reaction (in some places, we now know it to be perhaps an over-reaction) was an attempt to change governmental inertia. Now we're in a place (in some places) where we're having to overcome COVID-19 lock-down inertia. But also, there are some places (MI, NY, etc.) where governors may be enjoying their taste of Fuehrer-ship, but certainly are catering to the population centers/hot spots (i.e., NYC, Detroit) at the expense of the rest of their states.

--- End of line (MCP)0