Nail Damage

W

Wenchy

I did the fake nail and fiberglass/acrylic overlays for years.

I stopped all of that about 7 years ago.

My thumbnails keep getting worse.

My other nails are perfect, but I have thumbnails that look like they came out of a horror movie.

I know the nailbeds were damaged, but shouldn't they get better instead of worse?

Anybody else out there?

EmnJoe

nunya bidnis
Mine have been crappy ever since I did mine about 9 years ago. They have not been right since. Just won't grow long before they get weak and break.

Wenchy said:
I did the fake nail and fiberglass/acrylic overlays for years.

I stopped all of that about 7 years ago.

My thumbnails keep getting worse.

My other nails are perfect, but I have thumbnails that look like they came out of a horror movie.

I know the nailbeds were damaged, but shouldn't they get better instead of worse?

Anybody else out there?

I made the mistake of going to one of those Asian salons where they use power tools on your nails. Over time, they filed away the nailbed on all my fingers. I just had to wait for them to grow out. Yours should be fine once they grow out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One of my pinky nails has a permanent split from acrylic nails. I stopped getting them more than 10 years ago, but the damage is done.

When you go to the cheap nail joints, they use those power tools and that's what causes the damage to the root of the nail. Another thing is that they use Methyl Methacrylate, which dries incredibly hard. So if you catch your nail in something or twist it, the nail won't break, but it twists and can cause permanent damage.

Your nails actually grow in hundreds of tiny sections, created at the nail root, that are bonded together. When you get damage to the nail root, it can destroy one of those sections. It's not a problem for short nails because the sides of the nail hold it together. Once the nail grows past the free edge, that's when the missing section creates a split because it no longer has the side pressure holding it together.

:nerd:

vraiblonde said:
One of my pinky nails has a permanent split from acrylic nails. I stopped getting them more than 10 years ago, but the damage is done.

When you go to the cheap nail joints, they use those power tools and that's what causes the damage to the root of the nail. Another thing is that they use Methyl Methacrylate, which dries incredibly hard. So if you catch your nail in something or twist it, the nail won't break, but it twists and can cause permanent damage.

Your nails actually grow in hundreds of tiny sections, created at the nail root, that are bonded together. When you get damage to the nail root, it can destroy one of those sections. It's not a problem for short nails because the sides of the nail hold it together. Once the nail grows past the free edge, that's when the missing section creates a split because it no longer has the side pressure holding it together.

:nerd:

My right pinky nail has a permanent ridge in it that splits the nail once it gets to a certain length. I never thought that it might be from those cheapo nail salons. I certainly learned my lesson; I'll never go to one of those again.

janey83

Twenty Something
cattitude said:

:yeahthat: I second this, I had bad nails from only 6 months of getting acrylics -- and I went to GNC and picked up some biotin vitamins. That, and this nail polish by OPI (restrengthening stuff) really helped.