nails

camily

Peace
Nickel said:
I hate to file my nails too. :lol: I don't know if it's the sound or feeling or what. I've become an expert at clipping them, so that I never have to file afterwards. :lol:
You must be an expert. I have never been a good clipper and have always needed the filing part. Not now though. :yay:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
My nails just suck out loud. They don't/won't grow and never have. I did a stint of tips then overlays and it was a lot of maintenance - but that was back in the day.

I take vitamins, eat healthy, drink lots of water and they still end up fairly paper thin. Even with polish, the ends will chip and the nails will tend to tear.

So, no, I don't do anything except trim with scissors and file the little rat bastard pieces that catch on everything.

:biggrin:

just.me

camily said:
:howdy: I have overlays so my nails are actually that length, just have a "cover". I LOVE them!! I have always had long nails but hated the breaking and chipping. I'll never go back.

I just got mine to a good length and they all look nice. Except for the dumb thumb that just broke...what are overlays? I am such a tom-boy -- I don't know a lot of girl stuff..how much are they? who does yours? If they don't break, that is great! Do you paint them yourself?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have no need for fake nails because I have the bestest real nails in the world. :diva:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
camily said:
You must be an expert. I have never been a good clipper and have always needed the filing part. Not now though. :yay:
Necessity is the mother of invention...or something like that. :lmao: Anyways, I keep my nails fairly short, with just a smidge of the white part showing. My fingers are long anyways, so having long nails would make me feel like a witch or something. :lol: I don't think I've filed them in a looong time.

Chasey_Lane said:
Yep. I had acrylic nails for about a year straight and my nails were ruined for months because of it. That was about 8 years ago.

Agreed. I used to go to one of those Asian owned nail places in Waldorf. One day I decided to have them soaked off and go to a real salon and have them done. The girl at the salon said she couldn't do anything for me at that time because my nail bed was just about gone! They had filed it down to almost nothing and new tips would have nothing to adhere to. :(

I will NEVER do that again.

W

Wenchy

In the early 90's, big shoulder pads and long fingernails were the rage. I was in the fashion industry and went along with the trends.

I have goofy pictures of the big shoulder pads, and I have damaged nail beds on both of my thumbs that will never go back to normal to remind me of those days.

The fiberglass overlays supposedly let more air through to the nail, but they were time consuming, to say the least. I then went on to the press on nails :yikes: Prying those suckers off my thumbnails did them in.

Now, I leave my fingernails natural, and hide my thumbs whenever possible (bandaids work great)

camily

Peace
just.me said:
I just got mine to a good length and they all look nice. Except for the dumb thumb that just broke...what are overlays? I am such a tom-boy -- I don't know a lot of girl stuff..how much are they? who does yours? If they don't break, that is great! Do you paint them yourself?
Overlays are what you get if you want to keep your nails and not just add tips. My nails are as long as they look. There is no fake nail added, they just put acrylic right over my nails. I keep my nails pretty long too. I have short fingers so I need all the help I can get in making them look longer. I DO NOT have those crazy long nails though. A new fullset is $20 and fills are $12. I only go maybe once a month. You should go 2 1/2 -3 weeks to mke them look their best they say but I get lazy. You do not have to polish them yourselves. Polish comes off natural nails due to the oils produced. It gets under it and "pops" it off. There is no oil on the acrylic so the polish stays on great!

camily

Peace
Speedy70 said:
Agreed. I used to go to one of those Asian owned nail places in Waldorf. One day I decided to have them soaked off and go to a real salon and have them done. The girl at the salon said she couldn't do anything for me at that time because my nail bed was just about gone! They had filed it down to almost nothing and new tips would have nothing to adhere to. :(

I will NEVER do that again.
I go to Mega Nails nd love them. Classic Image does it too but it is soooo expensive there.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
camily said:
Overlays are what you get if you want to keep your nails and not just add tips. My nails are as long as they look. There is no fake nail added, they just put acrylic right over my nails. I keep my nails pretty long too. I have short fingers so I need all the help I can get in making them look longer. I DO NOT have those crazy long nails though. A new fullset is $20 and fills are $12. I only go maybe once a month. You should go 2 1/2 -3 weeks to mke them look their best they say but I get lazy. You do not have to polish them yourselves. Polish comes off natural nails due to the oils produced. It gets under it and "pops" it off. There is no oil on the acrylic so the polish stays on great!

Exactly, I have overlays as well. My nails grow really fast but have always been paper thin, so I have to go get them filled every two weeks, it takes about 30 mins. I go to Davis Nails in Waldorf (Rt 925) ask for Davis the owner he does a wonderful job.

camily

Peace
sanchezf said:
Exactly, I have overlays as well. My nails grow really fast but have always been paper thin, so I have to go get them filled every two weeks, it takes about 30 mins. I go to Davis Nails in Waldorf (Rt 925) ask for Davis the owner he does a wonderful job.
My cousin goes to him as well and says not to have anyone but Davis do them. I went there once when I was shopping around. I found Jackie at Mega Nails and love her.

cdsulhoff

Jameo said:
I gots fake toe nails :diva: :lmao:

Now that is gross!!!
I always keep my nails short. I seem to always break a nail. I used to do the whole fake nail bit. But like many of you say they ruin your real nail.Plus there were times where tey would hit my nail bed with their drill, SOB does that hurt. I just go now for a manicure. Now, I would like long nails, but with my luck I break them as soon as they are long..

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Chasey_Lane said:
Not me; I grow my own! Acrylic nails suck!

:yeahthat:

The last time I got a set was years ago and I'll never get them again! Got sume fungi and upon going back to the salon to ask them WTF?, she gave me a half empty bottle of "nair pawrish" as a consolation prize.