Namath, Shatner & JJ duping the seniors

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I see these ads all the time. These and the my pillow are probably the most viewed when I'm watching TV.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Pitches like Namath’s can be misleading or downright deceptive, starting with the red, white and blue colors that insinuate the ads are from the government, as do the state logos on some mailers. While the plans themselves are perfectly legal and may be great for many of the 27 million Americans enrolled in them, they often don’t deliver everything those pitches seem to promise. Plus, those pitches don’t come close to telling the full story of the benefits of those plans – many of which aren’t even offered in your area.

For instance:
Unlike original Medicare, which is accepted by virtually all doctors and hospitals, Medicare Advantage plans include a network of doctors and hospitals you must visit to be insured. So if you hear about a great gastroenterologist in New York City and she isn’t in your Advantage plan’s network, your insurance may not cover your visit. Plus, unlike original Medicare, you may need prior approval for coverage of a medical procedure or equipment such as insulin pumps.

here, take my money

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My dad sees those all of the time, and started complaining to us that those plans seemed so much better than what he has. Our first argument is the phrase "you MAY be eligible"... No guarantees at all. Different zip codes offer different benefits, some are pretty poor.

Then it's "Dad, all they want to do is take your money." Oh. can't have that...

He has a great retiree-sponsored secondary plan thru BC/BS. Between Medicare and the BC/BS, he pays nothing most of the time for major medical issue, I think his hearing aids weren't covered. Eventually he agrees what he has is very good.

We go thru this every few months with him, especially at the end of the year when the commercials are never-ending.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
But Captain Kirk says I can get $100 extra on my Social Security!
I actually get $165 a month back, SS and drug prescription plan fee reimbursement. But not because I called one of those numbers. It's just part of my post-retirement plan, plus a monthly allowance towards any medical bill or related that I want to use it on. Right now I have almost $6K banked. Might need it for some potential upcoming surgeries.

PeoplesElbow

I assumed they were some sort of welfare Medicaid bilking scheme.

Years ago my grandfather signed up for liberty medical and they kept sending him all sorts of medical devices he didn't ask for or need. He must have had 20 blood sugar testers and wasn't diabetic.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I assumed they were some sort of welfare Medicaid bilking scheme.

Years ago my grandfather signed up for liberty medical and they kept sending him all sorts of medical devices he didn't ask for or need. He must have had 20 blood sugar testers and wasn't diabetic.
That's part of the scam. Your GF got them 'for free', but they charge Medicare/Medicade using your GF as the recipient.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I got my mom a Jitterbug flip phone and as soon as it was activated, people were calling her about expanding her medicare coverage. She didn't know what to do. I took care of them :smack: I can only imagine those elderly who don't have someone to look after them.

black dog

Free America
I actually get $165 a month back, SS and drug prescription plan fee reimbursement. But not because I called one of those numbers. It's just part of my post-retirement plan, plus a monthly allowance towards any medical bill or related that I want to use it on. Right now I have almost $6K banked. Might need it for some potential upcoming surgeries.

I believe its because your income in under the 19,### dollar threshold.

black dog

Free America
Well about four or five years ago I took my friend Thomass for an appointment at SS and he was given his Medicare Medicaid payment back 125.00? In his monthly check because his income was under the then 17,### dollar income allowed.
Thats what I know... Yours certainly may be different...

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Well about four or five years ago I took my friend Thomass for an appointment at SS and he was given his Medicare Medicaid payment back 125.00? In his monthly check because his income was under the then 17,### dollar income allowed.
According to the info from my retirement plan, it's a negotiated benefit. How and where, don't know. I just know it's a reimbursement directly to me rather than adding it back to my SS benefit.

black dog

Free America
According to the info from my retirement plan, it's a negotiated benefit. How and where, don't know. I just know it's a reimbursement directly to me rather than adding it back to my SS benefit.
I believe part A and getting Part B elsewhere is part of it...👍

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I figured that the pitches are more to the benefit of those who trying to sell you something.
The Mrs. has GEHA through the job. As I understand, she can keep it post retirement.
As it looks now, do not need to call the number on my screen.

PeoplesElbow

I figured that the pitches are more to the benefit of those who trying to sell you something.
The Mrs. has GEHA through the job. As I understand, she can keep it post retirement.
As it looks now, do not need to call the number on my screen.
Yea, she does as long she had the insurance for 5+ years before retirement.

Always wondered about GEHA, never knew anyone who had it.

phreddyp

Wow I didn't know you could get that charge refunded, I have a friend who may qualify . Thanks for bringing that to my attention .

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Yea, she does as long she had the insurance for 5+ years before retirement.

Always wondered about GEHA, never knew anyone who had it.
It was one the benefits offered, looked and is better than the coverage we had through my insurance at Lowe's.

27 August was her 9th anniversary with NAVAIR. She's currently assigned to the Coast Guard C-27J program.

Before that, was with Triton, had been voluntold to transfer there from VX-23, working the Growler.

Her first 2 years were a structured internship designed to get long tern, unemployed disabled vets back into a career for which they are qualified. During that time, was with Fire Scout. Her graduation assignment from the internship was 3 months at a program office in the Pentagon.

It got her into a job with NAVAIR, where she could put what she did as an officer in the USAF for a little over 13 years, test, evaluation and development of aircraft system. The Air Force's "drawdown" over the course of 94 - 95 caught her and she was involuntarily separated at the end of August 1994. She then worked for a dairy company, until her division was eliminated by a new corporate owner.

15 years out of work, the firings tripped some things, and it took 15 years for her to get better. We squeaked by, together.

PeoplesElbow

It was one the benefits offered, looked and is better than the coverage we had through my insurance at Lowe's.

27 August was her 9th anniversary with NAVAIR. She's currently assigned to the Coast Guard C-27J program.

Before that, was with Triton, had been voluntold to transfer there from VX-23, working the Growler.

Her first 2 years were a structured internship designed to get long tern, unemployed disabled vets back into a career for which they are qualified. During that time, was with Fire Scout. Her graduation assignment from the internship was 3 months at a program office in the Pentagon.

It got her into a job with NAVAIR, where she could put what she did as an officer in the USAF for a little over 13 years, test, evaluation and development of aircraft system. The Air Force's "drawdown" over the course of 94 - 95 caught her and she was involuntarily separated at the end of August 1994. She then worked for a dairy company, until her division was eliminated by a new corporate owner.

15 years out of work, the firings tripped some things, and it took 15 years for her to get better. We squeaked by, together.
Good for her, especially the part I bolded.

I'm 47 and can't wait till 57.