Name This Vice??

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
What's the vice called when the horse is moving forward at a good clip then throws on the breaks, drops it's head and throws it's legs out front then BAM tosses the rider off over it's head?

TIA

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
she's trying to sell her, and described what she's done to her THREE times and managed to crack a vertebrae in her back this last time (she's come off all three times), so now she's afraid of her. she' doesn't know what she's describing to me. I don't know if there's a name for it or not. Is there? I can't find one.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
OK that's what i told her. I've suggested she send her to a professional trainer to work it out, then she should take lessons too. Thanks!

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
I've got one here that someone gave us to use as a free lease and she has done that twice so far in six months so she is not unridable but you can't trust her farther than I can throw her! It is a pretty neat trick and takes alot of thought on their part. Give em A for effort!

W

WildHorses

:smack: :deadhorse
happyappygirl said:
What's the vice called when the horse is moving forward at a good clip then throws on the breaks, drops it's head and throws it's legs out front then BAM tosses the rider off over it's head?

TIA

It's more likely a habit and not a vice and, if that's the case, you might be able to work it out of the horse. :howdy: Patience, patience, patience and a good seat. :flowers: If not :smack: :deadhorse :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:

barncat

happyappygirl said:

TIA

I would think it's a combination of rooting and then a healthy buck thrown in. Definately would require a confindent, attentive rider that was riding back seat style to be prepared for this and ready to give a good whomp with the whip. I rode a 2 year old that would slam on the breaks from a gallop and then do a 180 causing me to eat mane. A few whomps with the whip and she broke the habit.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
the woman wants 950 for the mare. she's afraid of her. she's only 5, but could she EVER be completely trusted?? It's a registered walker mare, sorrel, pretty. She's not bucking, she throws the front legs out straight and just slams on the breaks, with her head down. she can't afford to send her to training, and said perhaps she would buy her back after she's trained :lol:

Oh wait...she seems to think riding up on her neck, as in like a jockey is what elicits the response...now i wonder perhaps it's saddle fit? I have a saddle that does that, digs into the horses' shoulders when pusing them into a lope, especially going uphill, so they go into a crow hopping fit (every single horse i've put it on, save 2). Maybe i'll suggest that to her.

Last edited:

barncat

happyappygirl said:
the woman wants 950 for the mare. she's afraid of her. she's only 5, but could she EVER be completely trusted?? It's a registered walker mare, sorrel, pretty. She's not bucking, she throws the front legs out straight and just slams on the breaks, with her head down. she can't afford to send her to training, and said perhaps she would buy her back after she's trained :lol:

Oh wait...she seems to think riding up on her neck, as in like a jockey is what elicits the response...now i wonder perhaps it's saddle fit? I have a saddle that does that, digs into the horses' shoulders when pusing them into a lope, especially going uphill, so they go into a crow hopping fit (every single horse i've put it on, save 2). Maybe i'll suggest that to her.

Definately rooting, it's not a desirable habit but is retrainable and once the horse is going more than likely will not reoccur. How long has she had the mare? It's been cooler out, maybe she's feeling fresh and needs a longer warm up at a slower pace to get some energy burned. While I galloped 2 - 3 year old TBs during the winter we were very attentative to the horses freshness because they could do some wacky things when they were feeling good. The saddle fit could also be investigated.

If I wasn't pregnant I would be happy to put a few rides on the horse and help her, I love a challenge, but she should get professional help if she's afraid of the mare.

W

WildHorses

happyappygirl said:

Oh, she's just a baby, she can't be held responsible -- yet! :flowers:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
happyappygirl said:

Has anyone tried working her in a roundpen first without tack and then with tack. I have found that alot of horses that have issues when put into a canter is because of a few different things. 1) If the rider does not have steady hands they could be causing the bit to bump against the horses teeth. (teeth can also cause many problems) 2) The horse may have a issue with their back...in which the canter causes the rider to put pressure on certain uncomfortable areas. 3) Could be a tack issue.

But by starting out with no tack and then building from there you can usually figure out where the problem is coming from.