NASCAR Diversity

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Ken King said:
Anybody hear that Junior is going to be fined and get a points penalty for his interview slip where he said "it don't mean ####"?

$10,000 and 25 points to both driver and owner points! OUCH!

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Oz said:
$10,000 and 25 points to both driver and owner points! OUCH!

There's not mention on the article (on Nascar.com) about owner points being docked ... :confused:

But, that aside ... last night, on Dave Despain's show on SpeedTv, they were talking about this, and a caller suggested that instead of docking points for profanity, "violators" serve community service time, and I agree with that. A $10K fine doesn't hurt someone who rakes in a few million a year. The points can/can't do much depending on where the person sits in the chase. The article on Nascar makes a good point, in that this is the only sport where a team is docked points after they are scored for an infraction. Also, you can tune your tv to any prime-time show and see the same if not worse being said than S#it. :shrug: So personally, I don't see what he said and the manner in which he said it as that big deal. People can't shelter their kids from EVERYTHING; the DQ knows what is/is not a word she's allowed to repeat. This begs the question: who's parenting your kids: NBC or You? :shrug:

Another "issue" here is that drivers have come under fire lately for NOT talking to the media when they exit the car. They've been called rude and said to be turning their backs on their fans and the media for doing this. Well, now it's a catch-22 ... if you jump outta your car after winning one of the biggest races of the year and you're in victory lane, and you tell the dude there to call your PR person to schedule an "on-air" interview, you can bet Nascar and the sponsors are gonna be pizzed! Granted, the driver blurts the word out ... BUT, his job is to drive and win; not ensure that some network weenie shoving a mike in his face follows the "delay" rule to prevent something like this from airing, which I thought became a requirement after Janet exposed her nip at the Superbowl show. :confused:

So, the overall decision gets :boo::boo: from me.

And I would tell drivers who enter victory lane to refer the dude with the microphone to his PR person to arrange for an interview when he's more "calm, cool and collected" vs. elated and excited for possibly winning one of the highlight races of his career so he doesn't -- in his excitedment -- have a slip of the tongue again.

Last edited:
huntr1 said:
From WTOP:

"NASCAR star Dale Earnhardt Jr. was knocked out of first place in the Nextel Cup by a slip of the tongue. Earnhardt was docked 25 points and fined $10,000 by NASCAR on Tuesday for cursing during a TV interview after his victory at Talladega Superspeedway.

Asked Sunday by NASCAR broadcaster NBC about the significance of his fifth victory at Talladega, Earnhardt said, "It don't mean s--- right now. Daddy's won here 10 times."

Now, instead of leading Kurt Busch by 13 points in the Nextel Cup standings, Earnhardt trails by 12 with seven races left in the season."

This is the biggest load of crap I have ever seen... :tantrum :banghead:
What about other sports where you can clearly see it and sometimes hear it being said in moments of anger. It was a joyous moment and a slip of the tongue that most people I have talked to didn't even hear.

crabcake

workin hard said:
This is the biggest load of crap I have ever seen... :tantrum :banghead:
What about other sports where you can clearly see it and sometimes hear it being said in moments of anger. It was a joyous moment and a slip of the tongue that most people I have talked to didn't even hear.

I agree :ohwell:

Here, I'll share him with you to ease your current state of grief. :poorbaby:

:lol: his expression in that pic looks like he's thinking "Well, ain't THAT a pizzer!"

Attachments

• jr.jpg
    jr.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
crabcake said:
There's not mention on the article (on Nascar.com) about owner points being docked ... :confused:

But, that aside ... last night, on Dave Despain's show on SpeedTv, they were talking about this, and a caller suggested that instead of docking points for profanity, "violators" serve community service time, and I agree with that. A $10K fine doesn't hurt someone who rakes in a few million a year. The points can/can't do much depending on where the person sits in the chase. The article on Nascar makes a good point, in that this is the only sport where a team is docked points after they are scored for an infraction. Also, you can tune your tv to any prime-time show and see the same if not worse being said than S#it. :shrug: So personally, I don't see what he said and the manner in which he said it as that big deal. People can't shelter their kids from EVERYTHING; the DQ knows what is/is not a word she's allowed to repeat. This begs the question: who's parenting your kids: NBC or You? :shrug:

Another "issue" here is that drivers have come under fire lately for NOT talking to the media when they exit the car. They've been called rude and said to be turning their backs on their fans and the media for doing this. Well, now it's a catch-22 ... if you jump outta your car after winning one of the biggest races of the year and you're in victory lane, and you tell the dude there to call your PR person to schedule an "on-air" interview, you can bet Nascar and the sponsors are gonna be pizzed! Granted, the driver blurts the word out ... BUT, his job is to drive and win; not ensure that some network weenie shoving a mike in his face follows the "delay" rule to prevent something like this from airing, which I thought became a requirement after Janet exposed her nip at the Superbowl show. :confused:

So, the overall decision gets :boo::boo: from me.

And I would tell drivers who enter victory lane to refer the dude with the microphone to his PR person to arrange for an interview when he's more "calm, cool and collected" vs. elated and excited for possibly winning one of the highlight races of his career so he doesn't -- in his excitedment -- have a slip of the tongue again.

Dear Ms. Cake,
As much as I hate to, I agree with you 100%....
Du.

crabcake

Didn't know where else to post this ...

and while it's from the situation in Illinois ... it just seems to fit here too. :shrug:

Attachments

• Jesse_racism.jpg
    Jesse_racism.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 130

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
That cartoon is accurate. There still are some whites who believe that all blacks are lazy and whiny. They see Jesse and Reverend Al and see more justification for their beliefs. And whites who aren't racist are insulted when Jesse and Al imply that all whites want to see a return to segregation and lynching. When will the madness end?

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
The madness will end when "segregation" is really not an issue- which may be never. Although there have been so many steps taken to help blacks and minorities, some people (whites included) continue to want more. The United Negro College fund is a topic of contention, it is legal and promotes segregation.
Social segregation is the most powerful form of "racism" in this country and it's not even necessarily a bad form of racism. Black people feel more comfortable around people who are like them (other black people)- and the same can be said for white people. We do come across others that are "culturally" different and we feel comfortable with them, but that's not very common.
We all want to feel accepted, safe and comfortable- so we choose friends that we have things in common with.
The cartoon just shows that when people "fight" for civil rights, they create more problems for civil rights. Jesse Jackson is exploiting "civil rights" to make money off of the people who he is supposedly trying to help.

Tonio said:
That cartoon is accurate. There still are some whites who believe that all blacks are lazy and whiny. They see Jesse and Reverend Al and see more justification for their beliefs. And whites who aren't racist are insulted when Jesse and Al imply that all whites want to see a return to segregation and lynching. When will the madness end?

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
Sorry, this conversation may not be apppropriate for this thread- but oh well, this is where it started...
To get back to the topic at hand, Nascar---thanks to JJ for dropping to 9th in the chase, and letting Flyin' Ryan pass him and move up a notch!! If he could just move up a few more...:cheers:

pvineswinger said:
The madness will end when "segregation" is really not an issue- which may be never. Although there have been so many steps taken to help blacks and minorities, some people (whites included) continue to want more. The United Negro College fund is a topic of contention, it is legal and promotes segregation.
Social segregation is the most powerful form of "racism" in this country and it's not even necessarily a bad form of racism. Black people feel more comfortable around people who are like them (other black people)- and the same can be said for white people. We do come across others that are "culturally" different and we feel comfortable with them, but that's not very common.
We all want to feel accepted, safe and comfortable- so we choose friends that we have things in common with.
The cartoon just shows that when people "fight" for civil rights, they create more problems for civil rights. Jesse Jackson is exploiting "civil rights" to make money off of the people who he is supposedly trying to help.
:cheers:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
pvineswinger said:
I can appreciate that. Still, I think there's a difference between feeling comfortable with people who look like ourselves, and deliberately teaching one's children that people who don't look like us are different inside as well as outside. That's not necessarily racism, it's just a nutured fear. When I was about 8 or 9, I asked my parents why some people called blacks "spooks," and he said, "Well, they are kind of spooky." That was a preview of how he and my mother would treat my future sister-in-law.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
Sorry but you are a Duponster...you are beyond help. :razz:
J/K
Here's an explanation:

If Nascar doesn't implement a "diversity" effort- someone will complain, and whine- and will create all sorts of drama. Then the minority drivers will have to get "handicap" points, because they are "disadvantaged." :duh:

Dupontster said:
I really don't understand ...Please help me.. :confused:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
pvineswinger said:
Sorry but you are a Duponster...you are beyond help. :razz:
J/K
Here's an explanation:

If Nascar doesn't implement a "diversity" effort- someone will complain, and whine- and will create all sorts of drama. Then the minority drivers will have to get "handicap" points, because they are "disadvantaged." :duh:
How am I the Duponster? I think NASCAR should stand firm. Besides, no one has tried to pressure the other sports into granting minorities handicap points, like giving an automatic single to black batters in baseball.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
Tonio said:
How am I the Duponster? I think NASCAR should stand firm. Besides, no one has tried to pressure the other sports into granting minorities handicap points, like giving an automatic single to black batters in baseball.
I was answering Duponster Tonio.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
When it comes to "diversity" such as in college applications and hiring practices, minorities are given "handicaps" of some sort to "promote diversity." That's all I'm saying. I think it just promotes segregation to be honest.

Tonio said: