NASCAR fuel

MMDad

Lem Putt
Nascar plans to move to unleaded fuel eventually. At all of the NASCAR events I've been to, I always thought the crowd was due to inbreeding, but now I wonder if the lead might have something to do with it.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I believe I read they're shooting for 2007 to roll that out. :yay:

Personally, I LOVE the smell of the fuel at races. I'll miss it. :frown:

MMDad

Lem Putt
crabcake said:
I believe I read they're shooting for 2007 to roll that out. :yay:

Personally, I LOVE the smell of the fuel at races. I'll miss it. :frown:

Don't worry, it will still smell the same, it just won't produce as many retarded Earnhardt and Gordon fans.

F

faststrat02

MMDad said:
Don't worry, it will still smell the same, it just won't produce as many retarded Earnhardt and Gordon fans.

LOL...good one... Nascar fuel rocks...something about F1 fuel too...went to my 1st race in 2001... talk about rich people mixed with crazy drunks...

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
faststrat02 said:
LOL...good one... Nascar fuel rocks...something about F1 fuel too...went to my 1st race in 2001... talk about rich people mixed with crazy drunks...
I can't wait for the F1 season to start. :yay:

Mikeinsmd

Bustem' Down said:
I can't wait for the F1 season to start. :yay:
The cars are super fast & the crashes spectacular but I have issues with the pansy drivers having umbrella's held over them.... :killingme

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
So, I'm reading where Toyota is going to enter the NASCAR racing circuit with their Camrys in 2007. I haven't seen what they're going to be using for an engine yet.

Are they going to be competitve enough with the big V-8 motors GM, Ford and Chrysler bring to the field?

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Mikeinsmd said:
The cars are super fast & the crashes spectacular but I have issues with the pansy drivers having umbrella's held over them.... :killingme
Well, would you want to sit in a hot car in a wet racing suit? If I made as much money as them, I'd have foot massages before the races...even if I was in NASCAR.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Penn said:
So, I'm reading where Toyota is going to enter the NASCAR racing circuit with their Camrys in 2007. I haven't seen what they're going to be using for an engine yet.

Are they going to be competitve enough with the big V-8 motors GM, Ford and Chrysler bring to the field?
I think if they can built big enough V-8's to compete in the truck world, they'll probably figure something out.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Penn said:

It's not like they use stock motors on the american cars anyway. There's very little on a Cup car that's is actually made by the manufacturer.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
MMDad said:
It's not like they use stock motors on the american cars anyway. There's very little on a Cup car that's is actually made by the manufacturer.
I understand the body/chassis is no where near, or approaches stock form, but I thought the engines had very real restrictions placed on them?

MMDad

Lem Putt
Penn said:
I understand the body/chassis is no where near, or approaches stock form, but I thought the engines had very real restrictions placed on them?

I hoped to find the rules, but they aren't released to the public.

"NASCAR Winston Cup engines today generally use pistons manufactured by J&E, Wiseco, Ross and a couple of others. There are usually very few factory (i.e. Ford or Chevy) parts used in/on the entire car, although quite a few of the engine components are from the manufacturers. For most parts, any supplier could be used — even Mercedes produced pistons could be used in either a Ford or Chevy given the correct bore diameter and wrist pin placement, rod length and crankshaft stroke."

"The engine block and head castings are usually bought in rough form to conform to the casting number rules required by NASCAR. The blocks are special alloy materials such as higher than normal tin content and extra webbing area for strength around the main bearings. The heads are aluminum alloy and also much different than any production heads. Extra material is generally available for various teams to port them in different ways and to bore the valve guides just the way they want them. The engines also are always 358 c.i. (bore x bore x 0.07854 x stroke x 8) and 12:1 compression."

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
MMDad said:
I hoped to find the rules, but they aren't released to the public.

"NASCAR Winston Cup engines today generally use pistons manufactured by J&E, Wiseco, Ross and a couple of others. There are usually very few factory (i.e. Ford or Chevy) parts used in/on the entire car, although quite a few of the engine components are from the manufacturers. For most parts, any supplier could be used — even Mercedes produced pistons could be used in either a Ford or Chevy given the correct bore diameter and wrist pin placement, rod length and crankshaft stroke."

"The engine block and head castings are usually bought in rough form to conform to the casting number rules required by NASCAR. The blocks are special alloy materials such as higher than normal tin content and extra webbing area for strength around the main bearings. The heads are aluminum alloy and also much different than any production heads. Extra material is generally available for various teams to port them in different ways and to bore the valve guides just the way they want them. The engines also are always 358 c.i. (bore x bore x 0.07854 x stroke x 8) and 12:1 compression."
So in other words it's not really "Stock Car" racing anymore. :lmao:

F

faststrat02

Mikeinsmd said:

LOL..reminds me of Gordon and the nascar boys when it "rains" lol... but you 'gotta' love the grid girls of F1..
:yay: :yay:

F

faststrat02

Bustem' Down said:

exactly...been this way the past few yrs...I mean, is there really a 2-door dodge intrepid or a 2-door ford taurus??
:shocking: :shocking:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Bustem' Down said:
So, they start with a heavy duty block and heads, and then each team's engine builder customizes the components to their liking, eh?

It will be interesting to see what Toyota comes up with. I was perusing this site:

http://jayski.com/cupnews.htm

It has some neat pics, schedules, etc. I think I read where one of the Waltrip brothers is going to be involved with a Camry team.