National Debt Increased by $3 Trillion under Trump

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Yet you and all the trump cult he slammed Obama for it, .... again the trump hypocrites come out big time!

look in the mirror at YOUR Own Hypocrisy

I complained and was told sit down and shut up, we are in charge now by Obama .... so why should I now be concerned now that someone else is in the White House .....

:sshrug:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Greetings:

I saw earlier today a piece where Trump was indicating he might be willing to entertain cuts to social security and Medicare.

No reference handy, I’m sure it will show up in your headline scans soon enough. This is based on some comments he made at Davos yesterday.

This is going to be a great campaign season!
Not what he said.. though I've seen this same lie repeated on Hoyer's site..

Barabbas

Greetings:

I saw earlier today a piece where Trump was indicating he might be willing to entertain cuts to social security and Medicare.

No reference handy, I’m sure it will show up in your headline scans soon enough. This is based on some comments he made at Davos yesterday.

This is going to be a great campaign season!
Here it is:
JOE KERNEN: [Will] Entitlements ever be on your plate?​
PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: At some point they will be. We have tremendous growth. We’re going to have tremendous growth. This next year I– it’ll be toward the end of the year. The growth is going to be incredible. And at the right time, we will take a look at that. You know, that’s actually the easiest of all things, if you look, cause it’s such a–​
KERNEN: If you’re willing—​
TRUMP: —big percentage.​
KERNEN: —to do some of the things that you said you wouldn’t do in the past, though, in terms of Medicare—​
TRUMP: Well, we’re going—we’re going look. We also have– assets that we’ve never had. I mean we’ve never had growth like this. We never had a consumer that was taking in, through—different means, over $10,000 a family. We never had the kind of—the kind of things that we have. Look, our country is the hottest in the world. We have the hottest economy in the world. We have the best unemployment numbers we’ve ever had. African American, Asian American. Hispanics are doing so incredibly. Best they’ve ever done. Black. Best they’ve ever done. African American. The numbers are incredible. The poverty numbers. The unemployment and the employment. There’s― there is a difference, actually. But the unemployment and employment numbers for African Americans are the best we’ve ever had. You know, we just― came up with a chart, and it was a very important to number to me. African American youth has the highest, by far, unemployment. The best unemployment numbers that they’ve ever had. And the best employment numbers. Right now we have almost 160 million people working in the United States, and we’ve never even been close to that, Joe.​

If and when he's ready to roll out the elimination of Social Security, paying back people who have paid into it in some manner, and reduce Medicare to catastrophic emergency care, then I will be on board. Until then, it's rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

But, it does seem pretty clear that what he's saying is that the programs are increasingly unnecessary (seems to be forgetting "unconstitutional") due to the drastic improvements in the workforce and median income levels, so they should be considered overall (entitlements in general) in helping reduce the drastic debt/deficit.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Here it is:
JOE KERNEN: [Will] Entitlements ever be on your plate?​
PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: At some point they will be. We have tremendous growth. We’re going to have tremendous growth. This next year I– it’ll be toward the end of the year. The growth is going to be incredible. And at the right time, we will take a look at that. You know, that’s actually the easiest of all things, if you look, cause it’s such a–​
KERNEN: If you’re willing—​
TRUMP: —big percentage.​
KERNEN: —to do some of the things that you said you wouldn’t do in the past, though, in terms of Medicare—​
TRUMP: Well, we’re going—we’re going look. We also have– assets that we’ve never had. I mean we’ve never had growth like this. We never had a consumer that was taking in, through—different means, over $10,000 a family. We never had the kind of—the kind of things that we have. Look, our country is the hottest in the world. We have the hottest economy in the world. We have the best unemployment numbers we’ve ever had. African American, Asian American. Hispanics are doing so incredibly. Best they’ve ever done. Black. Best they’ve ever done. African American. The numbers are incredible. The poverty numbers. The unemployment and the employment. There’s― there is a difference, actually. But the unemployment and employment numbers for African Americans are the best we’ve ever had. You know, we just― came up with a chart, and it was a very important to number to me. African American youth has the highest, by far, unemployment. The best unemployment numbers that they’ve ever had. And the best employment numbers. Right now we have almost 160 million people working in the United States, and we’ve never even been close to that, Joe.​

If and when he's ready to roll out the elimination of Social Security, paying back people who have paid into it in some manner, and reduce Medicare to catastrophic emergency care, then I will be on board. Until then, it's rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

But, it does seem pretty clear that what he's saying is that the programs are increasingly unnecessary (seems to be forgetting "unconstitutional") due to the drastic improvements in the workforce and median income levels, so they should be considered overall (entitlements in general) in helping reduce the drastic debt/deficit.
And not once did he say he was going to cut Social Security OR Medicare...

Barabbas

And not once did he say he was going to cut Social Security OR Medicare...
Nor did Spitfire say he would cut it. Spitfire said "entertain cuts to social security and Medicare", and Trump said, "we're going to look" when asked about "things you wouldn't do in the past, in terms of Medicare".

Every presidential candidate before 2016 said the programs are in trouble. Every look into Medicare has shown multi-billion dollar fraud and abuse. Al Gore had as one of his larger platform planks protecting the money that's supposed to be in social security but isn't. Virtually every presidential candidate that had a chance to win, before Bernie Sanders in 2016, has talked about "looking into" these programs. Hillary Clinton talked about "looking into" both programs to make them "better" as well.

There's absolutely no news in this snippet of the interview, except to have folks misleadingly word their characterization of it to make it sound like something it wasn't.

Spitfire

Greetings:

Yea OK, what do you think entitlements are? What components of the federal budget are "entitlements"?

Social Security is an entitlement, despite protestations to the contrary (I paid in!!!). That doesn't make it not an entitlement.
Medicare is an entitlement, despite protestations to the contrary (I paid in!!!). That doesn't make it not an entitlement.

Come on people.

saddlemount

Mudslinger
So libs - the national debt increased from $11 to nearly $20 trillion under Obama. I'm curious - where was your indignant outrage then? Your hypo-criticism never ceases to amaze me.

Barabbas

Greetings:

Yea OK, what do you think entitlements are? What components of the federal budget are "entitlements"?

Social Security is an entitlement, despite protestations to the contrary (I paid in!!!). That doesn't make it not an entitlement.
Medicare is an entitlement, despite protestations to the contrary (I paid in!!!). That doesn't make it not an entitlement.

Come on people.
I think entitlements are "a government program that provides benefits to any individual meeting certain eligibility requirements" (in this context).

Based on the above, "entitlements" are no less than 58% of the total outlay of government. And, yet, not a one of them are constitutional.

In 2018, as shown above, entitlements ate up 71% of the revenue. Defense, on the other hand, was just over 18% of total revenue. In fact, defense plus non-defense (including veterans programs) only account for 46% of the total revenue. Subtract "payroll taxes" (social security and medicare taxes) and all other portions of the budget (non-entitlement) still account for only 71% of the non-entitlement tax revenue.

We do not have a tax problem. We do not have an uncontrollable budget problem. We have an uncontrollable, un-tax-supported entitlement problem.

(Note, in the non-defense portion of the budget there are entitlements like SNAP, and non-constitutional programs like the Dept of Education, HUD, TSA, etc. These things are still exceptionally problematic, but very controllable.)

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Greetings:

Come on people.

I'm going to stop listening to you here, if you bought it (SS/Medicare/VA) it is not an entitlement.

Spitfire

Bought and paid for service

Greetings:

This is not a voluntary transaction; therefore nothing can sold/purchased.

SS/Medi* are like any government program, they can be canceled at any time for any reason, with zero recompense for the “purchaser”. We as taxpayers into these systems are guaranteed zero in return. Our ability to “collect” in the future is only guaranteed by future generations willingness to accept such a high government overhead on our human right to generate an income for ourselves and our families. These monies are not deposited into a numbered account with our name on it.

But I understand the larger point, I’d like to get back what I paid in too. I just know there is not a legal requirement to pay a red cent back to the “purchaser”.

The Boss

One of our biggest expenses is entitlements.
The Democrats running for President want Free health care, Free college, open Borders Money spoent on Green windmills and solar panels.

Go ahead elect the Democrats who are running and they will a 3 trillion dollar raise look like peanuts.
Not true but don't let a good lie spoil your story!

The Boss

So, we're told throughout the impeachment process that spending, the power of the purse, is specifically the purview of Congress.

We can therefore fully and exclusively blame Congress for the spending.

We know that the tax revenue is at a record high.

This is clearly a Pelosi/McConnell problem.
Only until the republicans take charge and then you'll just blame all democrats.