National Parks

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“The outdoors and public lands suffer from the same systemic racism that the rest of our society does,” Joel Pannell, associate director of the Sierra Club, said in an ABC report, titled “America’s Great White Outdoors.” The report called the parks “stubborn bastions of self-segregation.”

“If we don’t address this, and we don’t see how all these things are interrelated, then we’re going to risk losing everything,” Pannell said. “You’re not going to have public lands to enjoy.”

The report is part of a wave of sometimes violent protests taking place across the nation after the death of George Floyd, a black man who was killed while being arrested by Minneapolis police on Memorial Day. All four officers involved in the arrest have been charged in the case.

ABC cited a National Park Service Study but did not link to it:

New government data, shared first with ABC News, shows the country’s premier outdoor spaces — the 419 national parks — remain overwhelmingly white. Just 23 percent of visitors to the parks were people of color, the National Park Service found in its most recent 10-year survey; 77 percent were white. Minorities make up 42 percent of the U.S. population.
The U.S. Census Bureau projects people of color will be a majority in America by 2044 — a demographic shift that will impact park attendance and finances. Community advocates say physical and mental health for minority communities is also at risk.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...t-target-of-systemic-racism-claim-in-america/

FFS people go where they want to go ....
Maybe Minorities just don't have an interest in Yellow Stone National Park

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Going to National Parks Is Racist, Declares ABC News

And we’re just getting started. Everything that white people enjoy is racist, because they’re white people. Even going to national parks is racist now, because most of the people who go to national parks are white.

Seriously.

Did you get all that? It’s racist to go to national parks, even though you’re not keeping anybody else from going there. It’s “self-segregation,” even though the parks are open to anyone who wants to go. And if you’re a white person, it’s your fault if people of color don’t want to go to the parks, especially if you’ve never done anything to hurt anybody. None of the black people interviewed by ABC News can point to any specific instance of racism, which is what’s so nefarious about white people. There’s nothing more racist than not being a racist.

The message is clear: Mother Nature is a white supremacist.

But seriously, folks. Speaking as a white person — Sorry! — I have no interest whatsoever in going to a national park. I know they’re there, and that’s fine. If other people want to go there, fine. If other black or brown people want to go there, fine. And also… it’s fine if they don’t! I really don’t understand why anybody should care about the racial breakdown of national park attendees, or what will be solved if we somehow force non-white people to go to national parks. This is just some white journos who are expected to file a story about racism, even if there’s no racism.

DaSDGuy

“The outdoors and public lands suffer from the same systemic racism that the rest of our society does,” Joel Pannell, associate director of the Sierra Club, said in an ABC report, titled “America’s Great White Outdoors.” The report called the parks “stubborn bastions of self-segregation.”

“If we don’t address this, and we don’t see how all these things are interrelated, then we’re going to risk losing everything,” Pannell said. “You’re not going to have public lands to enjoy.”

The report is part of a wave of sometimes violent protests taking place across the nation after the death of George Floyd, a black man who was killed while being arrested by Minneapolis police on Memorial Day. All four officers involved in the arrest have been charged in the case.

ABC cited a National Park Service Study but did not link to it:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...t-target-of-systemic-racism-claim-in-america/

FFS people go where they want to go ....
Maybe Minorities just don't have an interest in Yellow Stone National Park
So, who's practicing "self-segregation"? Is this tool suggesting we force people to go to the national parks?

TPD

the poor dad
Could this be why the sweet & sour sickness has a higher mortality rate among the black community- they don’t get to national parks to exercise and breathe fresh air?

Does this mean state parks are the opposite of racist because I see very few white people at Pt Lookout State Park....

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Hey Gurps. Do you read the forums or just post?

Is there some restrictions Transporter that precludes multiple posts on a similar or same topic

Kyle has repeated - several times - the same article I posted a few hours previously ...

SO WHAT ?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
1 of the more noticeable minority group I see in National Parks are Asians. Specifically Asian tourists that come to the US on vacation. Urban dwelling minorities, for some reason, don't like to venture too far from asphalt.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
1 of the more noticeable minority group I see in National Parks are Asians. Specifically Asian tourists that come to the US on vacation. Urban dwelling minorities, for some reason, don't like to venture too far from asphalt.
Exactly!

I guess there will soon be a companion book to the old 1-page-long favorite, "Black People I have Met While Yachting"...

Monello

PREMO Member
Does this mean state parks are the opposite of racist because I see very few white people at Pt Lookout State Park....
While I have no proof, this phenomenon is similar to white flight that takes place in neighborhoods.

FWIW, I fished often at Fletcher's Boat House in DC. 1 weekend there was some sort of Hispanic holiday where they all went down to the river to grill out and kick a soccer ball around. The amount of trash that was left behind was mind boggling. I'm not talking about a few aluminum cans on the ground. It looked like each picnic table dumped half a trash can of garbage around. Then the wind pushed it all over the place. It was some 3rd world shithole nonsense for sure.

Monello

PREMO Member
Exactly!

I guess there will soon be a companion book to the old 1-page-long favorite, "Black People I have Met While Yachting"...
Yet any activity that is dominated by minorities is fine. It's just when those sneaky Caucasians do something that anyone can do if the choose, do some folks lose their minds.

The campgrounds we frequent are pretty much lily white. There may be a few George Zimmerman types but they don't stand out. I do know that campground owners are very color focused. There primary color of concern is green.

Smokey1

I guess they have to forced to go since they don't seem to be interested.

Twice as many black and Hispanic Americans said they don't know what to do in national parks than whites. When asked if they share the same interests as people who visit national parks, 34% of Black respondents and 27% of Hispanics said no, compared with only 11% of whites.

Of course its ALL about "FEELINGS".

When I'm walking to work with park rangers or with other campers and hikers who treat me in some sort of way that make me feel unwelcome, that make me feel unsafe, that is startling," Tariq said. "And that goes unchecked because there's, there's just no channel for us to be able to challenge that in such remote places."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...face-existential-crisis-over-race/ar-BB16cLVL

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Exactly!

I said pretty much the same thing while sitting on my brother's boat a few weeks ago. We were all rafted up, 5 boats I looked at us and mentioned that I hadn't seen one black couple anywhere, not on a boat, not dockside at the marina.... my brother had to think very hard to remember ever having seen a black boater.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Much of this piece is an annoying lie.

The one that glared hard was "signs are in English" - that's a damn lie. Signs in national parks are in multiple languages because of all the foreign tourists they get.

They act like black people are prevented from going to the parks and that's a big fat lie. What's the percentage of white Americans who visit a national park regularly or at all? What percent of white Americans have been to Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon? Cost and travel is prohibitive for many, not just black people. Lack of interest isn't a racial thing - lots of white people have no interest in nature or history (many of them are leftwing journalists).

Monello

PREMO Member
Lack of interest isn't a racial thing - lots of white people have no interest in nature or history (many of them are leftwing journalists).
A lot of the left leaning writers have no interest in reporting facts, in addition to no interest in nature.

SamSpade

I'm wondering how it is even possible they gathered this information - I'm going to have to some research. One thing I'm pretty sure of - of the 330 million visitors to national parks each year, I know they don't fill out a form indicating all their relevant demographic information.

With such an astronomical number, I can also guess that of that 330 million, a LOT are multiple visits by the same people. UNIQUE visits are likely much smaller. My boss goes to a national park - where he has a cabin - most weekends. In summertime, we often go to a national park - many times during our stay. Persons of color have zero input on our choice - I go there because it's not as noisy and crowded. You know - the kind of place people might WANT to go, on vacation.