Nature Deficit Disorder

morningbell

hmmmmmm
The one thing my ex and I agree on is getting out there. Ever since my son was a lil bean our family would go for hikes. As long as it wasn't torrential downpours we'd be out there.

While at Nicolet park a few weeks ago, my son pointed out a jumping spider to another little boy. The boy looked for it and then SMACK! He squashed it with his bare hand. My son just rolled his eyes, shook his head and said, "it wasn't venomous".

Nature Deficit Disorder

Ladybug76

The one thing my ex and I agree on is getting out there. Ever since my son was a lil bean our family would go for hikes. As long as it wasn't torrential downpours we'd be out there.

While at Nicolet park a few weeks ago, my son pointed out a jumping spider to another little boy. The boy looked for it and then SMACK! He squashed it with his bare hand. My son just rolled his eyes, shook his head and said, "it wasn't venomous".

Nature Deficit Disorder

:yay::yay:That's how we have always been with our boys. There is a book written by Richard Louv called Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder. Sad that someone has to write a book to tell people that their children are going to suffer because they don't get enough unstructured play time outdoors.

It just seems like common sense to us. Our boys (6 and 7) hiked the loop around St. Mary's lake this weekend. Granted, it took us a few hours, but they had a great time (OK, there was a little whining) and felt like they had accomplished something at the end.

Sorry, I just watched the video link and see that they referred to his book...Thanks for posting it.

Last edited:

Hessian

Ladybug...is right on.

Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder

Should be mandatory reading for all Educators...and Freshmen in College.
I worked on that last year at Merkle Wildlife Sanctuary...this "disorder" is very evident with the teens I teach in PG county. I've even had Volleyball athletes refuse to cut across a lawn to the gym door: (because there were bugs in the grass).

Get the message out!
Hike, explore, climb, swim, fish, camp...it is a beautiful world!

T

toppick08

Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder

Should be mandatory reading for all Educators...and Freshmen in College.
I worked on that last year at Merkle Wildlife Sanctuary...this "disorder" is very evident with the teens I teach in PG county. I've even had Volleyball athletes refuse to cut across a lawn to the gym door: (because there were bugs in the grass).

Get the message out!
Hike, explore, climb, swim, fish, camp...it is a beautiful world!

:yahoo: