Navajo Code Talkers: the unbreakable code

BOP

http://marines.dodlive.mil/2013/11/22/navajo-code-talkers-the-uncrackable-language/

It wasn’t until 2001 that the original 29 Navajo men were recognized with the Congressional Gold Medal for their invaluable contributions that helped turn the tide of World War II. The other 400 Navajo men who followed received the Congressional Silver Medal. Unfortunately, by this time, most of the Code Talkers had already died. But the recognition these men received helped educate an American people who knew very little about the small group of Navajos who had changed U.S. history.

“I am glad that my country, in a time when Native Americans could not vote in Arizona and New Mexico, gave us Navajo men a chance to prove our dedication to saving our land and our people,” Nez said. “We are citizens of the U.S., and we love our country just as other citizens do.”

Nez hopes that the recognition they have finally received will inspire young Navajo and other youth alike.

“It is important that my people take pride in their heritage, especially the young people,” Nez said. “I hope that learning about the Code Talkers will help them to do that. It is also important that non-Navajos learn how a culture so different from theirs contributed to the U.S. victory in World War II.”

b23hqb

PREMO Member
True Americans in every sense of the word, with dignity, class, and upright spirit.