Naval Academy withdraws appointment over racist messages

awpitt

Main Streeter
Thoughts?

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — The U.S. Naval Academy withdrew the appointment of an incoming member of the Class of 2024 after an investigation into racist and inappropriate remarks, an academy official said Monday.

WTOP

Clem72

Thoughts?

WTOP

Why is this controversial and requiring of thought. Do you believe this person exemplifies what the Naval Academy is looking for?
The Capital Gazette reported last week that the recent high school graduate from Maryland sent messages in 2018 on a chat platform. The messages included threats of sexual violence, a transphobic statement, a racist epithet and threats of gun violence in a school. The messages were later shared on Twitter.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They didn't release those details but it had to be serious for the Academy to take this action.

Oh, you mean like Aunt Jemima syrup?

The progs bitch about so many ridiculous things I no longer just assume the offense in question is in fact offensive, I want to see what they're griping about before I form an opinion.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Oh, you mean like Aunt Jemima syrup?

The progs bitch about so many ridiculous things I no longer just assume the offense in question is in fact offensive, I want to see what they're griping about before I form an opinion.

I'd like to see it too. They have long established policies on things like this. I must admit though that I'm surprised that this is happening so late in the process. These applicants get vetted pretty thoroughly.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I'd like to see it too. They have long established policies on things like this. I must admit though that I'm surprised that this is happening so late in the process. These applicants get vetted pretty thoroughly.
One of his "buddies" ratted him out. IIRC, the kid did apologize to the members of that particular group before somebody decided to cancel him. So either the academy does not vet the candidates that well OR they did not deem it serious enough to withdraw the appointment until somebody started bitching.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm curious if a cadet were to write some song lyrics in a tweet, would that get them bounced out of ring knocker U. Say they grabbed a few lines from dr dre's bitches & hoes. Or is that considered art?

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Maybe there's something to this. Would like to know more to know context (because everything these days is being called "racist"). And as far as the "high standards" go I would be willing to bet that they are unequally applied in a variety of ways.

Until I know more, my interim take is that I call BS on the USNA. Or CYA on the USNA. Or whatever on them. If they're expecting saints out of teenagers during a time when just about every kid is on social media and has said something stupid on social media, then they're gonna get non-fighters. Or, more likely, no one.

--- End of line (MCP)

awpitt

Main Streeter
Maybe there's something to this. Would like to know more to know context (because everything these days is being called "racist"). And as far as the "high standards" go I would be willing to bet that they are unequally applied in a variety of ways.

Until I know more, my interim take is that I call BS on the USNA. Or CYA on the USNA. Or whatever on them. If they're expecting saints out of teenagers during a time when just about every kid is on social media and has said something stupid on social media, then they're gonna get non-fighters. Or, more likely, no one.

--- End of line (MCP)

I don't think the Naval Academy is in danger of not filling it's spaces. For the 2018-19 school year, they had 16,000 applicants and accepted almost 1,400.