Navy pulls plug on Patuxent River Naval Air Museum

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Navy pulls plug on Patuxent River Naval Air Museum - Southern Maryland News

The Navy has pulled the plug on the Patuxent River Naval Air Museum. With only a week’s notice the Navy in a letter dated September 24 informed the association that operates the museum that they were revoking a U.S. Government License that allowed the Navy to maintain the three buildings that constitute the museum. The effective date of the revocations was October 1. The Navy has also halted paying for the museum’s annual utility bill of $40,000.

In a letter to the county commissioners, Patuxent River Naval Air Museum Association (PRNAMA) President Arvid “Ed’ Forsman, Capt. USN (Ret) wrote: “The letter comes as no surprise to our Museum Association as they notified us approximately two years ago that this may eventually happen due to continued cutbacks to the DOD and Navy Budgets. Funding of other small Navy museums at other Navy sites has been terminated as well due to budget considerations.”

Forsman told the commissioners the Navy’s decision may have a silver lining. “While it is disappointing that they have terminated their relationship as a formal Navy museum, this decision will provide us with new opportunities that were not possible before this decision was made. We now have the flexibility to charge fees for the use of our museum for meetings and conferences, which we were not allowed to do previously according to Navy rules,” he wrote.

Forsman said charging rentals for events such as Change of Commands, Navy Retirement functions and community events could allow the museum to offset the lost Navy revenue. He wrote, additionally, “We will also be able to charge a small admission fee to visit the museum should it be necessary in the future.”

The lost $40,000 revenue amounts to 20 percent of the museum annual operating expenses of $180,000.

Caution

So the Museum is on Private Land? OK I thought that was Govt. Property. Looks like they are hoping to keep it open though.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Wow. Just like Ft Meade/NSA, being split by different counties One that observe Inaugratiojn Day and one that does not.

The left, and you obamaites, it is on you..

Vince

40k is a drop in the bucket. Obamy spends more than that on fuel for just one of his vacations.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I think it's time for some fundraising activities to cover the costs of keeping the museum operating. I've never been there myself, but my son has on a school trip. From his report back after his trip, it definitely gave him a better understanding of the awesomeness of our War Fighters.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
40k is a drop in the bucket. Obamy spends more than that on fuel for just one of his many, many, many undeserved vacations, as he flushes our country down the toilet, trying to get us on the same playing field as his native country.

:editedformoreaccuracy:

[RANT]A village in Kenya is surely missing an idiot and more than a few of his relatives (illegally living off of our tax dollars).

I for one, say, "Please take this piece of shiite and his illegal relatives back!".

I can only hope he chokes to death on his Kobe beef, as we eat cake.[/RANT]

:dye:

Caution

I think it's time for some fundraising activities to cover the costs of keeping the museum operating. I've never been there myself, but my son has on a school trip. From his report back after his trip, it definitely gave him a better understanding of the awesomeness of our War Fighters.

Ya this is a shame. I hope they can keep it open.

Working on the base for years as a contractor I was able to get my boys on station a few times and was able to get them out to our flightline, put cranials on their little noggins and let them stand about 200' away from an Osprey as it was turning rotors getting ready to roll out.

Now with them doing away with many airshows, we need things like the museum to give kids a bit of an appreciation for such things. Adults as well.

MarieB

It is great

My son asks us to take him there often.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Ya this is a shame. I hope they can keep it open.

Working on the base for years as a contractor I was able to get my boys on station a few times and was able to get them out to our flightline, put cranials on their little noggins and let them stand about 200' away from an Osprey as it was turning rotors getting ready to roll out.

Now with them doing away with many airshows, we need things like the museum to give kids a bit of an appreciation for such things. Adults as well.

Awesome. One of the memories they'll cherish, I'm sure. I'm sure dad will, too.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Just saw one of the ladies who run the Museum's events the other night at OUR event. Our students did a "Meet the Airplane Event"a couple of months ago. Great museum!!

Glad to see they can charge and maybe even make a big profit now! :yay:

Disco Stu

Shut Up Little Man!!!!
$5 says if it were some museum to "Celebrate Sexual Diversity" it would get millions in funding. I mean, what is more culturally signifigant to Democrats - naval history or the invention of the butt plug? :coffee: