NBA "Lottery" Draft - Bogus!

MoparRacer896

Pure Bred & Bottle Fed
I think it's time for the NBA to look at this lottery style draft. Crazy how one of the worst, if not the worst team in the league (W.Wizards) end up with the #5 pick. They need to look at the NFL's draft procedure and take notes.

donbarzini

They used to use the record-based system that the other leagues used. But quite awhile ago, some moron(can't remember who)officially affiliated with a team as an executive actually came out and said he had advised the players that losing the rest of their games wouldn't be a bad idea. Instead of slapping the sh!t out of this fool; they decided on this method so that teams wouldn't "tank" the rest of the season.

Peter Forsberg

I think it's time for the NBA to look at this lottery style draft. Crazy how one of the worst, if not the worst team in the league (W.Wizards) end up with the #5 pick. They need to look at the NFL's draft procedure and take notes.

Wizards need more then 1 player to help that crew.

MoparRacer896

Pure Bred & Bottle Fed
Wizards need more then 1 player to help that crew.

Can't disagree with ya there Pete.. And a good proven head coach would help tremendously. Love to see Flip Saunders get the job. Abe needs to get off some of that coin, and instead of paying his players big dollars, pay the coaching staff. If they pick anyone but a center will be a mistake. They need a big man inside.. Just my 2 cents.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
They used to use the record-based system that the other leagues used. But quite awhile ago, some moron(can't remember who)officially affiliated with a team as an executive actually came out and said he had advised the players that losing the rest of their games wouldn't be a bad idea. Instead of slapping the sh!t out of this fool; they decided on this method so that teams wouldn't "tank" the rest of the season.

There was no 'this fool'; everyone was doing it. The tipping point was a Rockets game leading up to getting Ralph Sampson, if I recall, where both teams looked like the Washington Generals absent the Globetrotters; just comedic play at the end of the season.

This 'fool' was at least being honest about what teams were doing, for years.

The fundamental problem with the NBA is far, far too much emphasis on the individual and too little emphasis on the team. If LaBron James and Kobe and Shaq and Wade and Arenas et al are fouling out of games commensurate with the fouls they commit, suddenly having the best 8-10 players is more important than having THE ONE with his helpers.

In the NFL, getting the #1 pick is nowhere near as critical. There are no Tom Brady's in basketball to be picked up in the latter rounds.

So, I say call the damn game. Make teams protect the stars by having depth. David Stern and company decided in the Bird/Magic era that the league would do best promoting individuals over team. It's the antithesis of why college ball is so great; team matters.

donbarzini

Make no mistake Larry, I'm not a starry-eyed virgin. It's just that this dumbass actually turned his common sense filter off and actually came out and said it. So The Commish had to make it look like he was "solving" the problem of the perception. Did you ever read Bill Simmons' take on how they've fixed a few of the lotteries so certain players would go to the "right" teams? It's both hilarious and thought-provoking at the same time.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Make no mistake Larry, I'm not a starry-eyed virgin. It's just that this dumbass actually turned his common sense filter off and actually came out and said it. So The Commish had to make it look like he was "solving" the problem of the perception. Did you ever read Bill Simmons' take on how they've fixed a few of the lotteries so certain players would go to the "right" teams? It's both hilarious and thought-provoking at the same time.

No. I'd be interested in that!

Larry Gude

Strung Out

FWIW, I love it when people break ranks and say "yeah, the bottom teams are trying to lose to get the best pick" instead of the "What? I don't know what you are talking about routine."

Everyone wants the truth until they are part of the in crowd. Then, they don't want the outsiders to know :lol:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Can't disagree with ya there Pete.. And a good proven head coach would help tremendously. Love to see Flip Saunders get the job. Abe needs to get off some of that coin, and instead of paying his players big dollars, pay the coaching staff. If they pick anyone but a center will be a mistake. They need a big man inside.. Just my 2 cents.

They made a scapegoat of Eddie Jordan, they don't deserve to have a proven head coach.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
They made a scapegoat of Eddie Jordan, they don't deserve to have a proven head coach.

Yup. But, again, it's a 'star' league and not a 'team' league and the Bulle...err...Wiz are invested in their star at the wrong position; Arenas.

Teams whose strength is at point guard don't much win in the playoffs. The closest we've gotten to that was Iverson and that was when the East was catatonic and any number of teams in the West would have dominated Philly in the finals.