NBA PLAYOFFS RATINGS ON ESPN DOWN 40%

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

“This is what happens when you embrace far-left wing politics instead of just playing basketball,” he continued. “This is what happens when you kneel for the national anthem, when you put social justice warrior slogans on the back of jerseys, and what happens when you put Black Lives Matter on the court.”

https://www.outkick.com/nba-playoffs-on-espn-down-40/

Sources: Players association in active talks with players about logistics of potentially boycotting games

Players began reaching out to the committee in recent days, sharing that they’re not in the right frame of mind to play basketball, sources said.

Sources said there is a sizable faction of players who are psychologically distraught by the video of Jacob Blake, a 29-year-old Black man who was shot in the back multiple times by police in Kenosha, Wisconsin, as he tried to get into his vehicle. His family’s attorney said three of his children — sons ages 3, 5 and 8 — were in the vehicle during the incident. Blake is hospitalized and underwent surgery Tuesday afternoon.

There have since been protests and unrest in Kenosha, which has led to two fatalities.

The union’s approach is to educate players on the pros and cons of boycotting games and reassuring them that they would be supported regardless of whatever they decide to do, sources said.

There is ongoing dialogue on what more could be done inside the bubble to raise awareness of racial injustice in an effort to enact change and thwart police brutality toward people of color, sources said.

The hearts of players are heavy, with some feeling intense guilt for playing and that they’re providing entertainment that is drowning out the injustices that are plaguing this country, sources said.

[clip]

Multiple players stated publicly that kneeling during the anthem and everyone on campus wearing “Black Lives Matter” T-shirts in the bubble isn’t sending a strong enough message about the seriousness of society’s ills.

WTF Tramatized .... they get paid millions of dollars a year to play a game ..... living a soft and cushy life

Clem72

Is Boycotting because you are not in the right frame of mind the same as taking a sick day for mental health? Even if certain forms of boycotting were protected, i'm pretty sure "because i'm upset at the world" isn't one of them.

But they won't get fired of course.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I couldn't care less if they never play again. Lebron James is on Twitter acting like he's King Sh^t, and I'm like - dude, if it weren't for basketball you'd be just another thug knocking over liquor stores and eventually get your own chalk outline.

glhs837

Power with Control
YEah, not that I'm an NBA guy, but my son just mentioned this to me and I'm like WTF, we have no real idea what happened yet.

limblips

PREMO Member
Well, when your fan base is out rioting, burning and looting they aren't going to be able to watch your playoffs.