NBC News/Wall Street Journal Poll

demsformd

"Which ONE or TWO of the following issues and problems do you think should be the top priorities for the President and Congress to address this year?" Read list. Accept up to two responses. If "All," ask: "If you absolutely had to choose, which ONE or TWO issues would you say are the biggest priorities?"
%
Strengthening the economy 57
Fighting terrorism 36
Dealing with health care costs 25
Protecting Social Security 15
Protecting the environment 6
Passing tax cuts 5
Dealing with Iraq 5
All equally important (vol.) 10
None/Other (vol.) 1
Not sure 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Democrats are favored in three of the top four priorities. Explain to me again how Bush is invulnerable and any Democrat will be handidly beaten.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by demsformd
The Democrats are favored in three of the top four priorities. Explain to me again how Bush is invulnerable and any Democrat will be handidly beaten.
What do you mean by, “ The Democrats are favored in three of the top four priorities.”? Where is the Democrats plan for strengthening the economy? I haven’t seen one. What are they going to do? How about fighting terrorism? Is this one of the areas where they show strength? What are their plans for dealing with health care? How about protecting Social Security? What are they doing here?

While they are significant issues for anyone seeking the office I don't see anything to make me believe that they will be better dealt with by the Democratic party.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Why do you...

...do this to yourself???

The economy: Clintons decade of greed featuring an awesome, overheated stock market charge to riches fueled by lying about profits, Enron, Global Crossing et al, is now going through the inevitable re-alignment. People's trust in the market was abused. Most prominent among democrats fighting reforms that would have exposed the cheating throughout the 90's was Joe Lieberman, a stout accounting industry guy.

Terrorism: First Trade Center attack, the embassy attacks, the USS Cole? Passing on getting Osama? Thanks Bill! Democratic Senators?

Health Care costs: Why look! They went up, on average almost 20% EVERY year throughout the 90's.

Protecting SS: And Bill and the Dems did...??? Eight wasted years. Even had TOTAL control of the government for two of them.

Protecting the Environment: Record forest fires, both in the east and west, due to lack of national forest management planning throughout the 90's. The woods that were to be "protected" from logging...burned to the ground. Brilliant. Brought to you by a Democratic administration.

Passing tax cuts: The federal governmental take rose to over 23% of GDP in the 90's. I guess the hope was that the stock market would hide it all? Stock market as cure all? How "liberal".

Dealing with Iraq: If the Democratic President had simply followed the rules as the existed when he got the job, for 8 years, the war would most likely not have been necessary.

Bush may lose this time. However, it would be difficult to get a smaller leader than the last Democratic President.

B

Bruzilla

Hmmm...

Strengthening the economy? Politicians can talk about making the economy better, but they really can't do much about it except waste money. Clinton lucked out with the technology boom, so unless there's a "Next New Thing" boom, the economy will have to fix itself (like it always has.) I'll pass.

Fighting terrorism? I don't see terrorism as a major threat, so I'll say pass on this one too.

Dealing with health care costs? Again, another area where pols can only waste money, make things worse, or both. I'm against national healthcare, so I'll pass on this one too.

Protecting Social Security? Why protect Social Security? It's already dead and just doesn't know to fall over already. I'll pass but I would vote for someone who would scrap the program and replace it with something better.

Protecting the environment? You can't drill, build, or spit in about 95% of the country without violating some environmental law. Why do we need more? Just to waste more time and money? I'll pass.

Passing tax cuts? I'm all for it. Put me down for this one.

Dealing with Iraq? Done deal. Now it's just a case of breaking the backs of the miscreants and we're back to cheap oil. I'll pass on this one too.

All equally important (vol.) 10? Pass

None/Other (vol.) 1? Here's my second vote, and my "other" is getting some common sense gun control laws in place.