Nebraska got screwed!

Animal

I eat red meat
Under what authority did the replay officials have for putting one second back on the clock. During the live play, and then every time I viewed the replay, the whistle wasn't heard until the clock showed 0:00. According to the Big 12 replay rules I don't see how time could have been placed back on the clock as there was no reversal of the pass being incomplete.

Did they do it so that a Big 12 team would make it to the BCS championship game and earn the conference millions of dollars?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I ddn't care which team won, but I'd have to say that the Huskers have a right to complain after getting shafted. Funny thing was if they just let the QB run around a little more then the time would have expired without needing the replay. Just as long as he didn't go into the end zone. Run another 10, 15 yards then tackle him, then it's game over.

The only question I have is this. Is they play over once the pass goes out of bounds or the ball strikes the ground out of bounds?

Either way it was exciting especially watching the seconds tick down on the next to last play. I was sitting there saying out loud 'the game is over."

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Under what authority did the replay officials have for putting one second back on the clock. During the live play, and then every time I viewed the replay, the whistle wasn't heard until the clock showed 0:00. According to the Big 12 replay rules I don't see how time could have been placed back on the clock as there was no reversal of the pass being incomplete.

Did they do it so that a Big 12 team would make it to the BCS championship game and earn the conference millions of dollars?

Someone decided a Alabama-Texas championship was wanted.

Last edited:

Beta84

They're out to get us

Your conspiracy theory would work better if the conference made more money from Texas winning. In fact, they would have made more money with NEBRASKA winning. Why? All BCS games generate basically the same revenue for payout. Had Texas lost, Nebraska would have landed in the Fiesta bowl and Texas would have been guaranteed an at large spot, generating a second BCS bowl and an additional payout that's far more than whatever the Big 12 will get for their whogivesacrap.com that the bottom bowl eligible team will play in.

As for the play in question, I think it was pretty lame but I don't know if the call was wrong. The whistle doesn't really matter for plays that go out of bounds, because the clock technically is supposed to stop the instant the ball hits the ground or a player steps out. While that is the ideal, humans obviously are slow to react and usually a second or two runs off (such as in this situation). I think it's hypocritical for this play, of all plays in the game, to be reviewed since it happens in basically every play over the course of the game and bleeds countless seconds off the clock. So while I think the replay was correctly overturned (the ball hit the ground with 1 second remaining), I think it was kinda lame to replay it. Then again, if Nebraska hadn't screwed up the kickoff and tacked on 15 with the horse collar, this wouldn't be in question anyway.

D

dems4me

Not a screwing.

I agree, and I was pulling for Nebraska too. They were outplayed but got some good breaks, unfortunately their was still one second left on the clock. I just feel badly that one team went onto think they won only to have the rug pulled out from underthem, but it was fair :shrug:

Animal

I eat red meat
Well I guess they weren't screwed after all, I never knew that the clock was reviewable without a play being reversed, but it seems it is.
NCAA Rule 12-3 said:
Limitations on Reviewable Plays
ARTICLE 6. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable. However, the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those involving the game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable. This excludes fouls that are not specifically reviewable (Reviewable fouls: Rules 12-3-2-c and d, 12-3-4-b and 12-3-5-a).

Beta84

They're out to get us
Well I guess they weren't screwed after all, I never knew that the clock was reviewable without a play being reversed, but it seems it is.

i could have saved you time and told you that :razz:

but they should probably review every play, since basically every play has clock errors. I guess that while a 1 second tickoff isn't an "egregious" error, they defined it as such in this circumstance since it was the different between game over or a FG try.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I agree, and I was pulling for Nebraska too. They were outplayed but got some good breaks, unfortunately their was still one second left on the clock. I just feel badly that one team went onto think they won only to have the rug pulled out from underthem, but it was fair :shrug:

I was totally pulling for them. It's arguable that they got screwed and it would be interesting in an alternate universe what woulda happened had the roles been reversed but, I think the refs did the right thing. :buddies:

Otter

Nothing to see here
I was totally pulling for them. It's arguable that they got screwed and it would be interesting in an alternate universe what woulda happened had the roles been reversed but, I think the refs did the right thing. :buddies:

Just saw the replay and it was the correct call, IMO.