Necropsy/Disposal Fees

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Cross-post from my Equisense board from the lady who used to be at Days End Farm, so sorry if it was already discussed here...
~AMP

Posted Jan. 11, 2006 03:50 PM

Yesterday at the Maryland Horse Industry Board Meeting, we received a copy of a memo from the MDA Animal Health Laboratory (specifically from the state veterinarian, Dr. Guy S. Hohenhause and that Assistant State Veterinarian, Dr. Thomas Jacobs) to all of the State Lab Directors. Effective January 5, there is a new price structure for Equine Necropsy,
Cremation and Disposal. The price increase is a result of a meeting in which it was determined that horses were "recreation" and should no longer be considered for necropsy, etc. as "livestock." Because of this change, prices have increased drastically. Cows, sheep, pigs, etc. will
not increase like the horses. This concerns me greatly ecause if you have horses on a farm that suffer from an unknown neurological disease and/or reportable disease and the state imposes a quarantine, then ALL horses that die of said disease have to be processed through the state labs. I worry that diseases may not be reported, horses may be moved
to other facilities and/or people will dispose of their animals without proper authority to do so (can lead to problems with groundwater contamination, etc.). This will NOT be helpful in events such as what is occuring at Pimlico now and similar situations such as Columbia Horse Center last summer! Kathy Schwartz of Days End Farm also pointed out that, if they receive an impounded horse that they determine needs to
be euthanized, they will have a VERY hard time coming up with the money to do it.

Just as an interesting point, according to state code, horses are listed along with cattle, sheep and pigs as "livestock." If this change in fees worries you, PLEASE contact the State Veterinarian's office and the Office of the Secretary of Agriculture, Lewis Riley, and let them know WHY.

Service:
Necropsy - $950 (in-state), $1100 (out-of-state)
Disposal only - $600 (in state), $700 (out-of-state)
Generic Ash Return $650 (in state), $750 (out-of-state)
Specific Ash Return $700 (in state), $800 (out-of-state).

Up until now, the prices have been:
Necropsy - $125 (IS), $200 (OS)
Disposal - $100 (IS), $150 (OS)
Generic Ash Return - $250 (IS), $300 (OS)
Specific Ash Return - $425 (IS), $475 (OS)

Contact Information:

http://www.mda.state.md.us/

Lewis R. Riley, Secretary of Agriculture
Maryland Department of Agriculture
50 Harry S. Truman Parkway
Annapolis, MD 21401

Dr. Guy S. Hohenhause
same address as above
http://www.mda.state.md.us/animal_health/

I think LETTERS work better than phone calls - put
something in their hands....

http://www.equinestudies.umd.edu

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Holy Cow!!!!!!! How the heck do they expect people to pay that much!!!! People really need to get loud over this - how about it horse forumites?

W

WildHorses

HorseLady said:
Holy Cow!!!!!!! How the heck do they expect people to pay that much!!!! People really need to get loud over this - how about it horse forumites?

Agreed, really don't know what they hope to accomplish by the increase (other than the obvious, of course). Bottom line they probably will have less reporting of illnesses because no one is going to want to pay the attendant fees. I for one will be researching this. :howdy: