Need a dentist, no X-rays

koolmun

I'm looking for dentist so I can get a cleaning. They all say X-rays are required. Does anyone know of a dentist that will honor my request to not have X-rays taken?

PeoplesElbow

Nope, good luck with that.

If you don't have insurance you might be able to plead that, but they want to bill your insurance for all they can.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
It is a general liability issue for the dentist. If they perform work without x-rays and a problem develops they could be held to blame.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I'm thinking they need those x-rays in case there might be some caries. Teeth cleaning can be painful or damaging if found out the hard way during a cleaning.

Bonehead

Yeah I know - but I'd still rather not.
Unless you are pregnant there is very little exposure. 1 Mrem = 10 Msv and a bite wing xray yields an exposure of .0002 Msv. Even a pregnant woman is permitted 500 Mrem exposure by federal law.

Kinnakeet

If you want the high psi water pick for the cleaning you wont get it the last couple appt I made I canceled because I did not want to set there for hours while the use a pick I guess the splashing has them scared of the kung flu??

wubbles

It is drastically more dangerous not getting dental x-rays to check for new cavities developing. You get more radiation exposure naturally every day than what dental x-rays give you. It has already been mentioned, but people in dental services do thousands of these a year and it can be done remotely from another room so there's no reason for them to get this additional minimal exposure to radiation. The lead vest is just extra protection to reduce the already minimal exposure you get. Why? Because it's cheap & easy.

Do not trust a dentist or hygienist that will work on you without doing x-rays first if you are a new customer or have outdated x-rays.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Altogether, have had close to 2 dozen x-rays (a couple dental and several medical) and CT scans (15) in the past 5 1/2 or so years.
The 1st in the series was a medical x-ray in March 2015 in the lead up to finding the pancreatic cancer.
Have had no cancer since the surgery in June 2015.

PeoplesElbow

Altogether, have had close to 2 dozen x-rays (a couple dental and several medical) and CT scans (15) in the past 5 1/2 or so years.
The 1st in the series was a medical x-ray in March 2015 in the lead up to finding the pancreatic cancer.
Have had no cancer since the surgery in June 2015.
I'm so happy for you, wish that surgery was around to get my dad's cancer.

Toxick

Splat
"Let me put this lead apron on you while I leave the room. But our lawyer tells me they are perfectly safe."

Well, I'm not gonna tell you your business, and if you don't want X-Rays, that's all there is to it. No judgement. You do you.

But as for what you're describing here, let me say this about that: I am an insulin dependent diabetic. I take a shot with a syringe about 4 times a day. Let's say that needle-poke is a metaphor for the x-ray, and me taking my normal shots is metaphor for a patient getting an x-ray done.

Using this same metaphor, a nurse/dental assistant/hygienist/dentist is a person standing in front of a dartboard at a pub. Every night.

Getting an x-ray or two every six months is safe. Getting pummeled 30 times a day, five days a week is not.

That is why they leave the room.