Need a oil tank

Grumpy

My tank sprung a leak, it's underground. Any suggestions on who to put in a new one?
I replaced mine a couple years ago, used Southern MD Oil. Called around most companies were around the same price. I didn't rebury the tank as that was expensive, I just put a privacy fence around the exposed tank(back yard). Was having work done with my yard about 6 months later and the yard folks had a bobcat that was able to pop the old tank out of the ground and back fill the hole.

TPD

the poor dad
I replaced my tank myself with above ground. Bought the tank from Thomas Somerville and placed over the underground tank. I cut a hole in the top of the underground tank and filled with beach sand. Worst part was filling old tank with sand.

DaSDGuy

My tank sprung a leak, it's underground. Any suggestions on who to put in a new one?
Ask your oil delivery company. They will also give a credit for the oil still in the tank. Above ground is the way to go. You can touch up spots with a can of spray paint when needed.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I bought a new one from Home Depot and they delivered. A friend of mine installed it.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Yup. I'm with @NorthBeachPerso on this one. If you ever desire to sell your house, you must disclose that there is a now an empty, previously leaking underground oil/diesel tank still in the ground that was never remediated, and instead has been filled with sand on your property. Because the soil around that old leaky tank is still contaminated, and still is slowly continuing its seeping going deeper and deeper into the ground underneath. When an oil tank is removed, the soil is tested at a certified lab and any necessary remediation is performed such as removing the contaminated soil before back filling can occur. There is no "as-is" selling for this type of property. It must be disclosed, (aka you must inform), in the disclosures/disclaimer as it is a known latent defect of the property, (the seller has direct knowledge of latent defects and if using a real estate agent you must tell him/her of the environmental contamination), safety, environmental, issue. Failure to do so, and if/whenever the future property owner finds out, the seller will absolutely be in a serious world of financial and legal hurt, from the seller's lawsuit and from the State of Maryland. Continue to go on the cheap at your own peril. You have been warned.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If I may ...

Yup. I'm with @NorthBeachPerso on this one. If you ever desire to sell your house, you must disclose that there is a now an empty, previously leaking underground oil/diesel tank still in the ground that was never remediated, and instead has been filled with sand on your property. Because the soil around that old leaky tank is still contaminated, and still is slowly continuing its seeping going deeper and deeper into the ground underneath. When an oil tank is removed, the soil is tested at a certified lab and any necessary remediation is performed such as removing the contaminated soil before back filling can occur. There is no "as-is" selling for this type of property. It must be disclosed, (aka you must inform), in the disclosures/disclaimer as it is a known latent defect of the property, (the seller has direct knowledge of latent defects and if using a real estate agent you must tell him/her of the environmental contamination), safety, environmental, issue. Failure to do so, and if/whenever the future property owner finds out, the seller will absolutely be in a serious world of financial and legal hurt, from the seller's lawsuit and from the State of Maryland. Continue to go on the cheap at your own peril. You have been warned.
See, you and I can agree sometimes.

To follow on Light Roasted. If I remember correctly since the tank is leaking you'll have to take it out and have the soil testing and remediation done. Sooner is better than later. Decommissioning the tank tank with sand/slag is (or was if the law changed, which I don't think it has) only for tank being taken out of service and not leaking.

Did I mention taking care of this sooner rather than later is what you need to do?

Legacy

Just had an above ground tank installed by SMO. Included a $200 rebate and $100 loyalty credit. Had the tank installed next to the back of the house and under our elevated deck. Oil in original underground tank was filtered and pumped into new tank. Old tank wasn't leaking, just decided to get ahead of any possible future problems with the underground tank. Did a good job with the installation.

PeoplesElbow

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I grew up with oil heat, our tank was in the basement, right next to where the coal bunker used to be.

Kinnakeet

I think new tanks have to be double walled with a monitoring system if you are going to put it back in the ground I could be wrong

PeoplesElbow

Turns out the tank can legally be abandoned if it has less than a certain amount of water in it and it's properly filled with sand. You do have to get permission to do so though.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Turns out the tank can legally be abandoned if it has less than a certain amount of water in it and it's properly filled with sand. You do have to get permission to do so though.
Though it must be thoroughly drained prior to filling. But if it was leaking heating oil, the tank must be dug up and removed, and the soil remediated and tested clean prior to back filling.