Need a smile Southern MD?

PJay

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Miss Phoenix made it almost all the way downstairs early this afternoon.
Right here, she's peeking around the corner at Buff (our ginger boy cat) asleep in his kitty bush by the base of the stairs.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
7 years ago today was a very proud day for me. I walked across the stage at Norwich University in Vermont, receiving my degree 38 years after the rest of my class. I was not ready when I attended from 75 - 79, left with a 1.88 GPA.

They accepted me back in the spring of 2012 as a nontraditional, long distance completion student, the 1st ever after that length of time. I earned a 4.0 GPA in the 2 summer semesters (2012 and 2013) it took to complete. The gap was due to my wife getting the job at Pax River and all the move entailed.

Best of all, my mom was able to attend graduation. It was an early (by a month) 80th birthday present for her.
Yesterday was our 1st Mother's Day without her.

1stGenSMIB

7 years ago today was a very proud day for me. I walked across the stage at Norwich University in Vermont, receiving my degree 38 years after the rest of my class. I was not ready when I attended from 75 - 79, left with a 1.88 GPA.

They accepted me back in the spring of 2012 as a nontraditional, long distance completion student, the 1st ever after that length of time. I earned a 4.0 GPA in the 2 summer semesters (2012 and 2013) it took to complete. The gap was due to my wife getting the job at Pax River and all the move entailed.

Best of all, my mom was able to attend graduation. It was an early (by a month) 80th birthday present for her.
Yesterday was our 1st Mother's Day without her.
View attachment 156842
Stephen, Congrats on this. That is really cool and so nice your Mom got to be there for it!
My mother (lost her at 74, to Dementia in 2017) went back to school and got her Bachelor's degree in her 50's, after supporting my father's education, his career, raising me and my sister, & going back to work. She inspired me to go back to school too while my daughter was attending Towson. My first wife and I were pretty young when we had my daughter, which derailed my post secondary schooling after just a few semesters. My daughter graduated one semester before I did, when I was 43. The last thing my Mom, daughter and I talked about was the inspiration she was to us to finish our degrees. In hindsight, my Mom probably already had some dementia related problems while pursuing that degree..I am not sure how she managed, but I am proud of her. Your story reminded me of my Mom's perseverance, and gave me a smile. 👍

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Stephen, Congrats on this. That is really cool and so nice your Mom got to be there for it!
My mother (lost her at 74, to Dementia in 2017) went back to school and got her Bachelor's degree in her 50's, after supporting my father's education, his career, raising me and my sister, & going back to work. She inspired me to go back to school too while my daughter was attending Towson. My first wife and I were pretty young when we had my daughter, which derailed my post secondary schooling after just a few semesters. My daughter graduated one semester before I did, when I was 43. The last thing my Mom, daughter and I talked about was the inspiration she was to us to finish our degrees. In hindsight, my Mom probably already had some dementia related problems while pursuing that degree..I am not sure how she managed, but I am proud of her. Your story reminded me of my Mom's perseverance, and gave me a smile. 👍
Thank you for the story and I am happy it raised good memories and a smile for you.