Need advice

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I made up a bunch of stuffed chicken breasts, more than I'll be able to eat in a reasonable time period. They are stuffed with artichoke hearts, sundried tomato, feta cheese, black olives, provolone cheese and salami.

Should I cook them first, then freeze and reheat later, or would they be okay to throw in the freezer as is?

lovinmaryland

I would freeze them raw then, thaw them out and cook them. You run the risk of over cooking them while reheating if you would cook them first.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Cool - thanks! I wasn't sure if the stuffing would make a difference or not. So freezing raw it is! :yay:

Dedee

Since they are stuffed I think you should cook them first. You run the risk of contamination if you don't. You wouldn't freeze a stuffed turkey.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Any stuffing tips?

I do a lot of stuffed boneless skinless because of low carbin' but most of the time it comes out delicious, but rather ugly. I have some great recipes I don't make for company because I like to have pretty food..lol. Usually, I just select thick chicken breasts, slice and stuff. because I don't do bread, theres no coating to keep them contained and looking pretty. I wonder if I could insert a knife through the top of the breast downward and then use a pastry gun to shoot the stuffing in across the whole thing? I might have to experiment..:killingme

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I wonder if I could insert a knife through the top of the breast downward and then use a pastry gun to shoot the stuffing in across the whole thing? I might have to experiment..:killingme

The gal on America's Test Kitchen did Chicken Cordon Bleu by cutting a little slit at the top of the breast, then working the knife down into the breast to create a pocket. She then rolled up the cheese and ham into a tube and forced it into the pocket. Pinch the slit closed, then wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for half an hour so the chicken glues itself together.

I have had some success with this but it requires a really thick breast.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
The gal on America's Test Kitchen did Chicken Cordon Bleu by cutting a little slit at the top of the breast, then working the knife down into the breast to create a pocket. She then rolled up the cheese and ham into a tube and forced it into the pocket. Pinch the slit closed, then wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for half an hour so the chicken glues itself together.

I have had some success with this but it requires a really thick breast.

Thats what I usually do as well. But I like to use cheese :killingme and when it melts it can pour out and make it unsightly..but I suppose anything would do that, really.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thats what I usually do as well. But I like to use cheese :killingme and when it melts it can pour out and make it unsightly..but I suppose anything would do that, really.

She used cheese, but the pocket and then the refrigeration kept the pocket sealed so cheese didn't run out. She made it look easy but I've had some trial and error. :lol: