Need advice

frequentflier

happy to be living
This petite and heavy lady needs to buy dark clothes; either pants and jacket or heavy dress. The last few times I shopped for clothes, after covid, stores were bare and I know it is after the holidays so store may be low again (if they ever restocked). I also understand clothing choices may have changed since so many people are working from home and I need something along the "professional" line (though it is for a funeral). I do not have time to shop online but I have not had good luck with that, anyways.
Have any of you petite and heavy set ladies bought clothes recently and please share where?
Or would it be considered tacky to wear dark jeans if I hit several places that don't have what I need?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
This petite and heavy lady needs to buy dark clothes; either pants and jacket or heavy dress. The last few times I shopped for clothes, after covid, stores were bare and I know it is after the holidays so store may be low again (if they ever restocked). I also understand clothing choices may have changed since so many people are working from home and I need something along the "professional" line (though it is for a funeral). I do not have time to shop online but I have not had good luck with that, anyways.
Have any of you petite and heavy set ladies bought clothes recently and please share where?
Or would it be considered tacky to wear dark jeans if I hit several places that don't have what I need?
What stores do you have choices of? Are you going across the bridge into STM? Belk's should have outfits that have dark pants and some kind of dark top/sweater jacket type of garment that might be along the lines of what you're looking for.

frequentflier

happy to be living
What stores do you have choices of? Are you going across the bridge into STM? Belk's should have outfits that have dark pants and some kind of dark top/sweater jacket type of garment that might be along the lines of what you're looking for.
Belks was one of the places I went to after covid and they had NOTHING. A girl asked me when I exited the store (empty handed) if I found what I wanted and said they'd have clothes in "soon"
I just don't want to waste my time running from store to store.

Bann

PREMO Member

Something like any of these jackets - and you may already have a top that will work with any of them! Paired with a top and black pants - they are perfect for what you are looking for, I think

frequentflier

happy to be living

Something like any of these jackets - and you may already have a top that will work with any of them! Paired with a top and black pants - they are perfect for what you are looking for, I think
The biggest concren is my petite and fat status LOL

Bann

PREMO Member

Bann

PREMO Member
The biggest concren is my petite and fat status LOL
But these are the types of "jackets" or blazers that you can layer over a top. The tops I linked to are very lightweight and sleeveless, so that you can layer effortlessly and still breath. Yet, they look finished. They will work well over pants with any type of waistband, as well.

Not those exact items -but similar items to look for. I think any of them would look very nice on you!

frequentflier

happy to be living
Have you tried Old Navy? I just looked on their website and they have blazers and long cardigan type sweaters. They also have several swing style dresses and the beauty of a swing dress is that they float away from the body, not cling to it. They had a variety of sizes listed and I've found if they say it's in stock in the store; it's in stock in the store. You can even pick up curbside - don't recommend it - Old Navy cuts their clothes generously - I can never tell what size I should get w/o trying it on first from them. Some of the swing dresses were a little shorter but some dark tights will fix that. If you're concerned about slight bulging under the dress - look for lighter weight sweater so you're not adding to the problem or if you want to go longer they had floral dresses there, small flower print, muted colors - that and a nice jean jacket works. You can wear decent jeans but dress up the top a lot - white blouse and jacket is pretty much a classic look that works on everyone.

Macys also has a ton of blazers, longer sweaters, and dressier blouses and they're great when you use the fastest delivery option.

Best of luck - went through the same thing when my dad died and it was the last thing in the world I needed or wanted to do.
Are places letting you try on clothes in the dressing rooms?

frequentflier

happy to be living
I really don't know - haven't been OUT shopping in a good while. Let me see if I can find out for you. You know I can picture you in one of those swing dresses, black tights, black ballet type flats would work with it. Simple necklace - that would look good on you, easy dressing, not frumpy - I think that's the worse part is looking frumpy. Or decent jeans or slacks, plain white shirt or blouse with or without a jacket - simple, clean, classy.

You mentioned your family - they sound a bit like mine - it's almost like you have to dress for them isn't it? I least that's the way I felt - they can be so judgmental.
Certain members of my family will critisize anything and everything I do anyways. I guess I am going with "tradition."
My step sister asked if I wanted to buy flowers from me and my husband and I said no, I will contribute because I know they are expensive. Personally, I think they are a waste of money but it is "tradition". My step Mom was stressing about the cost and I will give her some money towards them.
I have never shopped at Old Navy - I always thought they were geared for the younger set. I just don't want to spend hours going to all the stores in St Mary's and Calvert and hit zero. Not everyone carries petite. And it is going to suck if I cannot try something on. Once in awhile I could find clothes at Penneys but the last few times I was there, nada.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I just glanced at Belks. I saw a few petite items that I would consider looking at (ie not girly or grandmotherly looking) and the website will tell you if the item is in stock in the store or not. I'm with you on the trying things on thing but I was just thinking - you can try sweaters and jackets on right on the floor and as far as slacks - maybe bring slacks that fit you right now and see if they match up with something you find in the store? Stores shouldn't be very crowded on a Monday so not a lot of people looking at you thinking you're wackadoodle or something. I did that when I was shopping for petites for my mother - got a few wackadoodle looks when I did it) (I may have been talking to myself out loud though)
Good advice though I have very few pants that actually fit me LOL I may try to get over there later.

Bobwhite

What Vrai said. I always keep a neutral colored jacket on hand that will pair with most things. If you put on dark/black jeans and a white tee shirt, you won't believe how dressed up you look by just putting a jacket/blazer over it. I, too, am short and fat.

luvmygdaughters

Have you tried Ross or Marshalls? I know its the luck of the draw going to those places, but, sometimes you can find some deals. Other than that, all I have is Penny's.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
FF we have similar body types and I feel for ya. I need petite items and they're so hard to come by. I usually find decent items at LOFT by Ann Taylor, although right now it looks like we're only stuck ordering online...so for the future maybe? I always try and keep a wrap dress on hand...helps when I'm constantly fluctuating in sizes. I think I grabbed my last 2 wrap dresses (both plain black) at Burlington Coat Factory (yes, in Waldorf).

I haven't been in our Marshall's in a couple weeks, but honestly it's been over a year since I've bought myself clothing there. Nothing has fit right from them lately.