Need All MDers to oppose this (Gun Ban Proposal)

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281F.pdf

A quick summary for you:

Quote:
Altering the authorization for a person to wear, carry, or transport a handgun to be within specified limitations; designating specified firearms as assault weapons; prohibiting, with specified exceptions, a person from transporting an assault weapon into the State or possessing, selling, offering to sell, transferring, purchasing, or receiving an assault weapon; authorizing specified licensed firearms dealers to continue to possess, sell, offer for sale, or transfer specified weapons under specified circumstances; etc.

Highlights thus far:
1. Guns will be grandfathered, but need to be registered.
2. Magazines are the same as before, just lowered to 10rds.
3. Muzzle brakes, comps, and threaded barrels are not banned features on rifles (but you would not be able to mount a suppressor, as it's a flash hider).
4. Pump and bolt guns are exempted.
5. Threaded barrels on pistols are banned, but only if they can be used for a muzzle device (aka, doesn't ban non-threaded-barrel P22s by accident).
6. Restrictions on semi-auto shotguns are surprisingly light (folding/telescoping stock + PG is the only thing banned).
7. Everything on the current regulated long arms list is banned, including their copies.
8. Inheritance is in!
9. Rimfire rifles are not included, but rimfire pistols are included.
10. Bullet buttons seem to be addressed, but the language is bizarre and unclear.
11. Carry permits require 16h training.
12. Handgun permits require 8h training (or a carry permit), background check, and $100 every five years.
13. Much more flexibility for prohibiting individuals from ownership on mental health issues.
14. "Good and substantial reason" language for carry permits is still present.
15. Bans possession of ammunition if you would be prohibited from owning a regulated firearm (which includes people under 21).
As was stated, we need emails, calls, letters. This is a DIRECT infringement on our 2A rights....they target Assualt Weapons, but then go for everything....stop the madness and spread the word.

As well, there is a meeting on 2/8 in Annapolis to protest...looking for 100's maybe 1000's to show up. Please do your part...let's not wait until an "I told you so" thread pops up.

Please share this with people you know that are like minded

tommyjo

Number 15 basically means you can't hunt until you are 21.

Nope...that is not what it says....this is part of the current law that is not changing...it is right there in black and white...

regarding possession and subsequent ammunition section see page 24 starting at line 32 continue reading :

Unless a person is otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm, this subsection does not apply to:

the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm 1 if the person is:

1. under the supervision of another who is at least 21 years old and who is not prohibited by State or federal law from possessing a firearm; and
2. acting with the permission of the parent or legal 6 guardian of the transferee or person in possession;

MMDad

Lem Putt
Nope...that is not what it says....this is part of the current law that is not changing...it is right there in black and white...

regarding possession and subsequent ammunition section see page 24 starting at line 32 continue reading :

My god you are contrary biatch. It still says that someone under 21 cannot hunt ALONE.

MMDad

Lem Putt
This is insane. According to the Governor's own office, rifles accounted for 0.4% of murders in 2009 and 0.7% in 2010. Yet he has to jump on the "assault weapon" bandwagon.

Shotguns were used over three times as often as rifles, yet those are almost untouched.

Not much on the most widely used murder weapon - pistols. Nothing to address the people who commit the most murders either.

Guess it's just easier to jump on a bandwagon and do something, even if it does absolutely nothing about the problem.

I wish the most important numbers were available: how many murderers were legally allowed to posses the guns they used.

With the already draconian restrictions we have, would it surprise anyone to know that MD is only second to Louisiana in murders per capita? So do they emulate what safer states do? Of course not. They double down on this insanity.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
My god you are contrary biatch. It still says that someone under 21 cannot hunt ALONE.

Correct and the mention of "regulated firearm" ? I wonder why they would make it that when you have to be 21 to own a regulated firearm to begin with. I am willing to bet this language will lead to people 20 and below never being able to possess ammo to hunt on their own.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Number 15 basically means you can't hunt until you are 21

bohman

This is insane. According to the Governor's own office, rifles accounted for 0.4% of murders in 2009 and 0.7% in 2010. Yet he has to jump on the "assault weapon" bandwagon.

Shotguns were used over three times as often as rifles, yet those are almost untouched.

Not much on the most widely used murder weapon - pistols. Nothing to address the people who commit the most murders either.
Guess it's just easier to jump on a bandwagon and do something, even if it does absolutely nothing about the problem.

I wish the most important numbers were available: how many murderers were legally allowed to posses the guns they used.

With the already draconian restrictions we have, would it surprise anyone to know that MD is only second to Louisiana in murders per capita? So do they emulate what safer states do? Of course not. They double down on this insanity.

And here is the clearest indication that those who support this bill are either horrendously misguided, or they are simply interested in demonstrating control over the masses. This crap does nothing to protect people from criminal behavior.

bcp

In My Opinion
Number 15 basically means you can't hunt until you are 21
Not at all what it says.
You can still hunt if you are under 21, you just have to sneak up on your prey and smack it with the blunt end of the unloaded rifle.

People like you always try to jump the gun (pun) in order to make something look worse than it is.

grow up.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not at all what it says.
You can still hunt if you are under 21, you just have to sneak up on your prey and smack it with the blunt end of the unloaded rifle.

People like you always try to jump the gun (pun) in order to make something look worse than it is.

grow up.

Sawy.