Need Filter Help

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
I have a Cascade 1000 Filter for my 55 gallon tank.

The other night my filter started leaking and flooded my entire living room.

We have found the leak. Its coming from where the big clip in the front attaches the top piece, however from there we have no idea why it's leaking. Someone told me to replace the gaskets (rubber seals in the Filter itself that they wear out over time.

Has anyone had this problem and could give me some advice?

Should I buy new seals ??

TurboK9

I have a Cascade 1000 Filter for my 55 gallon tank.

The other night my filter started leaking and flooded my entire living room.

We have found the leak. Its coming from where the big clip in the front attaches the top piece, however from there we have no idea why it's leaking. Someone told me to replace the gaskets (rubber seals in the Filter itself that they wear out over time.

Has anyone had this problem and could give me some advice?

Should I buy new seals ??

Remove the oring and seals, clean them well, look for flat, crushed looking spots.

Get them really clean and dry, and then rub them down well with vasoline, let sit for an hour ot two, wipe off any excess, and reassemble. THe vasoline works wonders on 'rejuvanating' the seals. At that point, if still leaking, replace the bad ones.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Remove the oring and seals, clean them well, look for flat, crushed looking spots.

Get them really clean and dry, and then rub them down well with vasoline, let sit for an hour ot two, wipe off any excess, and reassemble. THe vasoline works wonders on 'rejuvanating' the seals. At that point, if still leaking, replace the bad ones.

Vaseline is a petroleum based product, it will ruin the seals over time and they'll suffer another leak. Petroleum and rubber usually don't go well together, nor does Petroleum do well for the fish.

Eheim rubber seals and vaseline

An answer to a similar question from Eheim.

My answer would be, get rid of the CASCADE and get an Eheim. I've used EHIM on my 49 gallon tank for about 5 years. EASY to clean, easy to use and EXCEPTIONALLY quiet.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Thanks guys....

Going home to try fix this thing..

My turtles are not happy with alf a tank of water.

TurboK9

Vaseline is a petroleum based product, it will ruin the seals over time and they'll suffer another leak. Petroleum and rubber usually don't go well together, nor does Petroleum do well for the fish.

My answer would be, get rid of the CASCADE and get an Eheim. I've used EHIM on my 49 gallon tank for about 5 years. EASY to clean, easy to use and EXCEPTIONALLY quiet.

Good catch and good point. The stuff I used was similar in appearance and viscosity to vasekine but was in fact silicone based. :yay:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Good catch and good point. The stuff I used was similar in appearance and viscosity to vasekine but was in fact silicone based. :yay:

Re-read my answer and it didn't "read well".. Hoped you weren't going to take offense.

The link even mentions the same thing above. Apparently their filters come packed with what buyers thought was Vaseline.. and same thing, silicone based.

McGee

FYI... I recently noticed Petco or Petsmart (whatever is in California) just started carrying Eheim products. I purchased an Eheim filter online a year and a half ago and haven't had any problems. They are more expensive in the pet store, so if you can wait buy them online but it's nice to know you can get some of the things I need in an emergency with a short drive.

friendtofishes

Get Rid

of the cascade. It is not a very good filter. They have by-pass problems and are prone to failing just as you described. I used to be a huge fan of cascades, had two cascade 1500's and two cascade 1000's on my 150g tank. In the space of a few months all four experienced very similar failures. I now use a Marineland C530 and a Marineland 350 to do the same job.

Ehiem's are expensive, but very good filters. A less expensive but equally good option is the Marineland 350. It hhas little to no by-passand is extremely easy to maintain.

If you do decide to recondition your cascade, bigalsonline used to sell parts kits for them as did dr fosters and smiths. I have never seen replacement parts available locally.

onebdzee

off the shelf

:yeahthat:

I have 2-75 gallon tanks and both have Eheim filters in them....very little issues since my brother bought them forever ago(he replaced the Cascade that I made the mistake of buying when I got the tank)

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
The link even mentions the same thing above. Apparently their filters come packed with what buyers thought was Vaseline.. and same thing, silicone based.
That was mentioned in one of the replies on the forum you linked to...
You might want to look into using something like KY Jelly. It is non-petroleum based.
Sanchez, you can probably ask Turbo for help here. Word is, one of the reasons he bought a van was so he could stock up on a bunch of cartons of K-Y at a time. He should be able to spare a tube; just be cautious for what he asks for in return.

:lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
FYI... I recently noticed Petco or Petsmart (whatever is in California) just started carrying Eheim products. I purchased an Eheim filter online a year and a half ago and haven't had any problems. They are more expensive in the pet store, so if you can wait buy them online but it's nice to know you can get some of the things I need in an emergency with a short drive.

I bought my Eheim at PetCO about 5 years ago, and just went in looking for replacment filters. They had moved everything around so maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find any of their products..

I'll have to go back and look again I guess.