Need help with saddles

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
ok I tried a saddle on my horse and it was to narrow and seemed to dig in on his withers.. :bawl:

Question: What is the difference between semi-quarter and full quarter bars ??? :confused:

Does anyone know the measurements on the different bars ???

the saddle I am using now is about 7" and fits him good not great ...

thanks TC

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Not many horses need full quarter bars. From what i've seen i don't think Your horse needs a full QB saddle either, with his withers and back.

All saddles are not created equal, nor are all pads. It's probably best to scout out auctions or classifieds to purchase a higher quality used saddle, if you can't afford or don't want to pay top dollar. Personally I use treeless, Barefoot, as you've seen, and I have a wetern version of that one too, if you'd like to try it. Having said that i've had terrific luck with Circle Y saddles by Yokum.

RC uses one, and I have a nice synthetic Circle Y that my little one is currently using that only cost about 350.00 from Chicks Saddlry and has fit every horse we use it on. MorganLover has the exact same model and also loves hers. There is a Chicks in Harrington DE (about 2 hours from here) and they're online too.

Saddle pads are also important, and There is an awesome article on saddle pads in one of the current horse and rider magazines, which rates several types of high and low end pads, and believe it or not the most expensive didn't win out! It's a good read, and if i can put my hands on it, I'll turn it into a .pdf and post.

You can tell if your saddle fits your horse if the entire area under the saddle is equally wet, with no dry spots. This also tells you if the pad works well with the saddle.

Last edited:

MorganLover

maybe you can find someone that has LOTS of different saddles and try them and see what works best before you buy. I know Happy has lots of saddles or has HAD lots of saddles hehe aussie, circle y western, barefoot, barrel saddles you name it i think she has had it lol. I don't know who else could help you in that area (i mean go over for a day or a few hours and work with saddles on your horse.) is your horse with persimmon? she might have lots there (i thought i saw you and your daughter riding there a while ago when happy had danni there to foal her baby.) anyway not sure what she has to see what works best for your guy. I do have a synthetic mine is the full quater horse though happy's is the semi quater and you can tell b/c the tree is a lot slimmer underneath mine is almost flat while happy's has more of an arch look to it. i guess that is the best discription i can give of it without you looking at the 2 to compare them.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
TotalControl said:
I am getting this...Welcome to silver-and-leather.c

I found a saddle I like and it comes either in a full or semi .. when I tried that saddle on him last night it was realy pushing on his wither you could fit your hand under (the horn area ??) but could not put your hand futher down it was like a lump pushing in on him to I wouldn' t even try to ride in it .

OHHHHH I got Wheels ....Going Monday toget it registered and inspected.. :thewave: :yahoo Now I have to learn hoe to haul.. :yikes:

Happy Frog did not freak out about the tattoo he likes what I have picked out .. he just said the way you hate pain?? :razz:

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
fredsaid2 said:
Must have copied the wrong link, let's try again : )

Today's Horse

Thanks Fred , I just saw it and the information was great I am going to try this before I buy my saddle here is a picture of the saddle I want..

Attachments

• buckstitchtooledsaddle.jpg
    buckstitchtooledsaddle.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 75
  • buckstichtooledsaddlenbridel.jpg
    buckstichtooledsaddlenbridel.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 64

fredsaid2

TotalControl said:
Thanks Fred , I just saw it and the information was great I am going to try this before I buy my saddle here is a picture of the saddle I want..

Getting the size right is never as easy as it seems it should be! Hope this one turns out to be a nice fit for your boy.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
fredsaid2 said:
Getting the size right is never as easy as it seems it should be! Hope this one turns out to be a nice fit for your boy.

With my luck I dought it but there are always Tack Swaps :lmao:

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
TotalControl said:
With my luck I dought it but there are always Tack Swaps :lmao:
true but did you ever look into going to geyers(sp?) saddlery? He was at hss last year, for the career thing... They can fit a saddle for you and y=they have tons of saddles, like 200 western ones all makes and models. I can dig up the number if you need it...

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
flarenuphope said:
true but did you ever look into going to geyers(sp?) saddlery? He was at hss last year, for the career thing... They can fit a saddle for you and y=they have tons of saddles, like 200 western ones all makes and models. I can dig up the number if you need it...

It's funny you mentioned him I was down at guy's getting my truck inspected and someone put his business card on my windshield :elaine: so I walk in ask Ronny if he knew who put it there and some guy said me it was him from gayers so we sat and talk about saddles for about an half hour . Pretty neat
He said when I was ready he would come to the farm and fit Rocky but the saddle I want (design) is hard to find so he said he woould start looking around .. TC

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Oh got my trailer inspected today now I have to figure out where the $$$$ is comming from to register it . I had to take one of my dogs to the vet today $211.00 there goes registering the trail maybe thursday...If I did have bad luck I wouldn't have any at all ...