Need info on Antique rifle liquidations

Ellebmd

Need info Places to liquidate Antique rifles in So. MD

Hi all,

I have no idea where to look for this, so I'm hoping someone may know of a business, appraiser etc that handles these kind of matters. I inherited 3 antique rifles and I want to have them appraised and possibly sold but I have no idea how to go about that. I'm not sure if I want to trust a couple of these brokers I've found online because they want me to send the rifles to them first. Eek!

Does anyone know of a licensed business that handles these kind of transactions? I am really lost on this one.

Thanks!

ellebmd

Last edited:

Ellebmd

I have 2 rifles and 1 shot gun. All manufactured about 1900 -1922. 1 Winchester model 1890 .22 short, 1 Remington model 12c .22 and 1 shotgun around the same period that I'm unsure of the make/model.

I have a friend who had a musket appraised a couple years ago. I'll ask who he used. 2ndAmemdment might be able to give you a name too. PM him.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Winchester M-1890 .22 Long, Second Model, Octagon

Winchester Model 1890 .22 long, second Model, Blue, Takedown. The serial number of this rifle is 17330X placing date of manufacture in 1903. The overall condition of this rifle is fine with 95+% of th..

$2000.00

And one for sale..

Ellebmd

Thanks for all the help. I've sent in pics to two appraisers and hopefully I'll get an answer this week. I was hoping of selling them locally 'cause truthfully, I am a little wary about mailing them. I don't want to get into trouble for sending them the wrong way so once I sort the buyer stuff out, I'll have to figure out how to ship them legally. Can we say Eek?

On the rifles, the 1890 octagon winchester is a 3rd model but its a tad different then the remington in appearance which also makes it more of a collector's item. The shotgun is a Winchester 12a-12 gauge. LOL, at least with everyone's help I managed to figure out a bit more info without sounding like a total idjit. :razz:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Ellebmd said:
Thanks for all the help. I've sent in pics to two appraisers and hopefully I'll get an answer this week. I was hoping of selling them locally 'cause truthfully, I am a little wary about mailing them. I don't want to get into trouble for sending them the wrong way so once I sort the buyer stuff out, I'll have to figure out how to ship them legally. Can we say Eek?

On the rifles, the 1890 octagon winchester is a 3rd model but its a tad different then the remington in appearance which also makes it more of a collector's item. The shotgun is a Winchester 12a-12 gauge. LOL, at least with everyone's help I managed to figure out a bit more info without sounding like a total idjit. :razz:
I have been told to mail a gun you have to ship it to an FFL, not 100% positive on that.

Try going to Auctionarms.com That is a neat site with tons of toys. Maybe you can find your type of gun there and see what they are going for on the auction block

T

tikipirate

Magnum said:
I have been told to mail a gun you have to ship it to an FFL, not 100% positive on that.

Interstate firearms shipments have to be made between holders of a Federal Firearms License. If I was going to have an appraisal made, I would take the weapon to my local FFL holder (in my case, the Tackle Box in LP City), pay a reasonable fee for paperwork and shipping ($30-$50?), and they would send it to the appraiser, who obviously holds a FFL.

It's expensive, but legal. Nobody wants a BATF agent knocking on their front door.

USNavyMike

Ellebmd said:
Hi all,

I have no idea where to look for this, so I'm hoping someone may know of a business, appraiser etc that handles these kind of matters. I inherited 3 antique rifles and I want to have them appraised and possibly sold but I have no idea how to go about that. I'm not sure if I want to trust a couple of these brokers I've found online because they want me to send the rifles to them first. Eek!

Does anyone know of a licensed business that handles these kind of transactions? I am really lost on this one.

Thanks!

ellebmd

A friend of mine has a small weekend business in the bargain barns in Hughsville. His shop is the Military clothing and shtuff. I am sure if you take them to him he can give you information on everything you have. Very knowledgeable and in the business for over 20 years. Think the name of his shop is Mans Stuff.

Ellebmd

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'll definitely keep it all in mind especially getting that local appraisal. Right now, I'm really leaning to selling them within Maryland. Now to find a licensed broker/auctioneer for that. More fun, whoo hoo. :p

Ellebmd

Okay back again. Now here's the second part. Anyone know any traders here that purchase vintage rifles?

Its an absolute nightmare trying to have these sent out of state and now I am to the point I'd rather get a lower value for them locally 'cause in the long run it'll still be more since all the paperwork and money to get it sent out of state is ridiculous.

Definite ARGH moment here.

Any places in Charles, Calvert or St. Mary's that you'd know would be really helpful. I've tried the internet and the yellow pages without much luck.

Thanks in advance.