Need opinions on grills

limblips

PREMO Member
I will probably regret opening this thread since men haven't agreed about grilling since the days of Alley Oop but I need help. My 15 year old Huntington gas grill needs work and parts. The parts are expensive and I will still have a 15 YO grill. I need a new one. My question is whether I should get a gas, charcoal, or pellet grill. I like the idea of the smoking and grilling ability of a pellet but I also like the ease of a gas and I love the flavor from a charcoal grill. I can afford a quality grill but not three of them! TIA for inputs.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I had this same dilemma a few years back, so I ended up getting a hybrid where it's propane on one side and charcoal on the other.

You know I did not use that charcoal side one single time. It's just too easy to go out and turn on the gas, wait a couple minutes fo it to heat up, and throw the goodies on.

If you like smoke, you can wrap soaked wood chips in heavy foil, like a packet, and poke holes in it. Or you can just get a bottle of Liquid Smoke and rub it on your steaks before you season them.

But if you want to check out the hybrid, I got it at Lowes.

All I'm gonna say is: my neighbor has a pellet smoker. Every time he runs it, I smell nothing but burning paper. I can only imagine the food picks up that smell.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Buy two of the three.
I have the same problem.
Would love to start trying to do the smoking stuff.

BernieP

Resident PIA
7473070a7cb7e917ff0de9c0917906249eec4142_2.png
$299

4.6 (67)

Enjoy a classic smoking experience with the heavy-duty Oklahoma Joe's® Highland Offset Smoker. High-temperature, heavy-gauge steel construction offers durability while a convenient fire access door and multiple dampers give you more control over your smoking experience.

There is a fire grate in the barrel so you can lay down a bed of coals for direct heat if you want.
Or you can crank the puppy up with some hot smoke, or low and slow.

I use hardwood charcoal, a chimney fire starter and to help I found these wax and straw fire starters.
Don't use the lighter fluid unless it's a massive fire failure.
I found that all the gas grills just died after a couple of years (I cook outside all year round, weather permitting.)
Had it on the deck but I didn't want to worry about dropping a hot coal.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Pellet grill....for smoking and roasting.....don’t buy cheap pellets,
Hybrid gas and charcoal......

You’re in grilling heaven

JMHO

Grumpy

I'd go with what Bernie suggested, paying heed to his recommendation of using hardwood charcoal.

General Lee

If you want something that will easily last you as long as your Huntington then get a Weber. None of those above will last. Weber will.

General Lee

If I may ...

OMG! Trying to re-invent the mouse trap. Just get a simple grill and cook some meat. How frigging hard it it? It's not rocket science ya know?

Some people would rather buy once, cry once and get something that is quality. Whether its a grill or something else. I've been through them all, just like everything else, some are better than others. He asked for opinions.....just because you might prefer a 39.99 grill doesn't mean the OP does.

Whatever you get, quality stainless steel is worth the money.
It's tough to actually determine what kind of stainless they use, but a simple test can help. Get a magnet and test it on various places on the grill. If it attaches, they are using a ferrous stainless. If it doesn't attach, it's better quality stainless. However, based on costs, you'll probably find most grills are ferrous stainless.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Some people would rather buy once, cry once and get something that is quality. Whether its a grill or something else. I've been through them all, just like everything else, some are better than others. He asked for opinions.....just because you might prefer a 39.99 grill doesn't mean the OP does.
Yeah yeah. I get it. What I don't get is spending hundreds, if not over a thousand, or more, for something to cook some steak on. Hey OP. If the body of your Huntington gas grill is fine, then just replace the worn out parts. The gas burner, heat plates, etc. Look online for the least expensive.

I have an over 20 year old something, forget the name, body of grill is still in good shape, and when necessary, replace the gas burner, heat plate, and those hard briquette things. Still going strong. Sits outside without any cover too.

nutz

I will probably regret opening this thread since men haven't agreed about grilling since the days of Alley Oop but I need help. My 15 year old Huntington gas grill needs work and parts. The parts are expensive and I will still have a 15 YO grill. I need a new one. My question is whether I should get a gas, charcoal, or pellet grill. I like the idea of the smoking and grilling ability of a pellet but I also like the ease of a gas and I love the flavor from a charcoal grill. I can afford a quality grill but not three of them! TIA for inputs.
Part of the answer is ....it depends on what you are cooking and your own personal expectations. Gas is the quickest for getting up to temp and holding temp, last in the flavor dept. And if you have a gas stove in the house, why bother going outside. Pellets, I’m not sold on the idea of using them outside because it seems too easy for the pellets in the grill to collect moisture and become some kind of mess to deal with (IMO).
Charcoal (hardwood fan) and wood (hickory, apple, cherry, oak) take a little time, effort and forethought. You cant come home from work and have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. You can setup the grill, light the fire (chimney starter or fat wood, no liquids), then go do chores or meal prep and come pretty close though.

A pretty good all purpose grill is the Weber Kettle and they make a “pizza oven” kit for them. Make your own pizza parties can be a blast.

For me, I have a green egg that I am very pleased with but vision grills makes a pretty nice very similar one for a lot less (check Sams club/HD).
I also have a Brazilian style grill that I made which is the go to for searing steaks and grilling oysters. The kettle grill I use for pizza and quick night meals like wings. Now making plans to build a pizza/bread oven in the spring.

nutz

If I may ...

Yeah yeah. I get it. What I don't get is spending hundreds, if not over a thousand, or more, for something to cook some steak on. Hey OP. If the body of your Huntington gas grill is fine, then just replace the worn out parts. The gas burner, heat plates, etc. Look online for the least expensive.

I have an over 20 year old something, forget the name, body of grill is still in good shape, and when necessary, replace the gas burner, heat plate, and those hard briquette things. Still going strong. Sits outside without any cover too.
Thats just where you are wrong. Its not just food, its one of the best times of the day. Relaxing, having a favorite beverage, talking and joking with family/friends trying different foods/recipes. Sharing a meal at the end of the day (even just a grilled cheese sammy) should be a highlight, not just some routine to endure before the next TV program comes on.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Thats just where you are wrong. Its not just food, its one of the best times of the day. Relaxing, having a favorite beverage, talking and joking with family/friends trying different foods/recipes. Sharing a meal at the end of the day (even just a grilled cheese sammy) should be a highlight, not just some routine to endure before the next TV program comes on.
I agree 100%. And my grill is always up to the task when family and friends are over. Some, even marvel at how I've been able to maintain and keep that old grill going for so long. Cooking anything other than steak, like chicken, (though not always), or fish, crisping vegetables? I'll lay down some aluminum foil. For kabobs? Right on the grill plate, and sometimes larger cut vegetables. When it comes time to service again? Complete disassembly. Soak, scrub, and wash out the entire interior, scrub that grill plate all shinny new looking again, then install the new parts. And wallah. A near new looking 20 year old grill fit for another good 2 - 3 years of excellent service, maybe even more, before the next service.

Also, I am not "wrong". I just have a different mindset when it comes to either buying new, way over-priced Chinese made crap, or even worse, now cheaply American made trying to compete, crap. When I have a still serviceable grill, and the ability to perform that service myself. When it comes right down to it, in a nutshell? It's just a grill to cook outside with. I the past, with many friends and family over, I only had one of those cheap ass charcoal briquette grills that sat on top of a picnic table. Handled everything we put on it. All still had a good time. I'm not out to impress with a shinny newfangled grill. I just want to eat. And have fun when guests are over.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Whatever you get, quality stainless steel is worth the money.
That can is heavy. When you drop the lid, it drops, All steel with an anodized coating, I think it weighs in empty at like 250lbs.
My problem with the gas grills wasn't the outside, but the guts. Hard to get replacement parts for older (one year) models.
But even if you can, the mounts for some of the components are eaten up. They don't make them out of very heavy gauge stainless steel.
The ledge where the grills sat were gone, can't replace those, but the outside was fine.