Need opinions on grills

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Those big egg grills look like they would hold up as well.
We've got one of those out at the island club. Great for roasts and the like...not for grilling steaks or burgers so much. And HEAVY!...hoowee I hate moving that thing. We've got two Webers for regular grilling.

Clem72

Those big egg grills look like they would hold up as well.

I have waffled on getting one (or a Kamado Joe) for years. I just don't grill enough to justify the cost and it would always be a hassle to setup as I wouldn't have the process or materials optimized for frequent use.

In the end I just use my old as dirt propane grill with a silicone mat (because the grills "fins" are a royal PITA to clean)

Biggest waste of money I've seen was the Charbroil Infrared grill....worst design ever, IMO.
Yeah, my dad got one. Worked pretty well, but you HAD to clean it .every.single.use. Cleaning it required taking 2 layers of grills off, the grate and the infrared screen. Got to be a real PITA.

I got a Weber gas and pretty happy with it, not as hot as I'd like it to be. Had it for about 3 years now, and the drip baffles are rusted thru and need replacing. I seem to remember something about lifetime warranty.... have to look at the manual and see about that.

Grumpy

We've got one of those out at the island club. Great for roasts and the like...not for grilling steaks or burgers so much. And HEAVY!...hoowee I hate moving that thing. We've got two Webers for regular grilling.
Agreed, I have 1, great for slow cooking and smoking ribs, pork butts, briskets,etc..but have it at the beach and have to put it away before we leave for the week..1) takes forever to cool down and 2) heavy as hell, I struggle big time wheeling it thru the grass to the shed I store it in. This was given to me by a woman that used it once and said it was a pain in the azz, I would have never shelled out the dollars to buy one outright.

Clem72

Ahh, makes me feel better about not getting one. Steaks and burgers are literally all I grill.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yeah, my dad got one. Worked pretty well, but you HAD to clean it .every.single.use. Cleaning it required taking 2 layers of grills off, the grate and the infrared screen. Got to be a real PITA.

I got a Weber gas and pretty happy with it, not as hot as I'd like it to be. Had it for about 3 years now, and the drip baffles are rusted thru and need replacing. I seem to remember something about lifetime warranty.... have to look at the manual and see about that.
I managed to "salvage" my Charbroil by buying a set of grates from Grill Grates. I really like them, but now they are sagging in the middle pretty noticeably....something I didn't expect for what they cost. Going to go plain and simple next time...a plain easy to clean stainless grate.

I checked my warranty, the parts that are rusted thru ("flavorizer bars") are warrantied for 3 years, and I'm past that. Went to the Weber site, replacement steel/porcelain parts are $45, in stainless over $100. :yikes:

Went to Amazon, found a set of stainless for $22 shipped. Be here Friday. In the meantime, the rest of the grill needs a serious cleaning.... ew. That chicken grease really messes things up.

General Lee

If I may ...What I don't get is spending hundreds, if not over a thousand, or more, for something to cook some steak on.

I can understand that as well. I have have bought cheap grills in the past. Never lasted. Grilling and smoking food is a hobby of mine. I even did competitions. Everyone's needs are different. I have several grills/smokers, all for different things.

General Lee

Rusted already?? They aren't supposed to do that this early. What model is it?

nutz

We've got one of those out at the island club. Great for roasts and the like...not for grilling steaks or burgers so much. .
Have you tried cranking the heat up to 550-600 F then throw a steak on? They can do a pretty respectable job.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Have you tried cranking the heat up to 550-600 F then throw a steak on? They can do a pretty respectable job.

Nope, never have. ...It's too easy and fast to fire up a regular grill and that's my preferred method for cooking steaks, burgers and for finishing ribs anyway. I'm sure I'd be more inclined to try the egg for cooking other stuff if it were not surrounded by two gas grills, a charcoal grill and a sidebox smoker..LOL

I learned not to drop that big center chunk of concrete whatever it is...plopped it on the ground to clean the egg out and it broke clean in two just like that. Almost $300 for a new one !! ;-(

Nope, never have. ...It's too easy and fast to fire up a regular grill and that's my preferred method for cooking steaks, burgers and for finishing ribs anyway. I'm sure I'd be more inclined to try the egg for cooking other stuff if it were not surrounded by two gas grills, a charcoal grill and a sidebox smoker..LOL
omg .... between the gas grills, burning charcol and meat eating, you have one helluva carbon footprint, buddy. Don't you feel guilty? I'm gonna get Ms. Milano after you.