Need opinions on grills

Goldenhawk

Genesis E330. It's just the porcelain-coated steel drip bars. Everything else is fine.
Any porcelain-coated anything will not last very long. I learned that on my first couple of grills. A few cycles of use, and the ceramic coating develops micro cracks, and pretty soon the interior non-stainless steel rusts out and it all falls apart fairly quickly. Solid stainless (good quality stainless) is the only way to go, especially for the grates. They'll last for years, and be cheaper in the long run.

Hannibal

It's all about preference and use. If you're the occasional griller, you should consider low end. For the most part, grills don't last unless you are highly diligent about maintenance and protection. Yes, the higher end grills tend to last long than the lesser models (better parts, etc.) but weather and such will ultimately eat them all up without specific maintenance and protection.

If you're a person with little time - a gas grill is the way to go.
If you like the charcoal taste and have time - go with the charcoal model.
If you fall in the middle (some days are better than other) - go with the hybrid.

If you grill more and like to do the occasional smoked meat - buy two different units. Go with the gas grill and then find yourself a basic gas or charcoal smoker. You can go budget with both and do quite well.

Someone knocked the Charbroil infrared and I will defend it. I own one and love it. It fires up quick, gets REAL hot and is easy to maintain especially with the clean function (pull the tray and dump the ash). It's easy to control temps and zones, etc. For the price, I thought it was a decent product. I've had it for 5 years and will admit, this is about its end. But I am/was happy and would buy another. The added rotisserie is a nice touch to it as well for those in the market.

Also have myself a cheapo charcoal smoker (basic offset). Probably cost $200. There are certainly better but it served the need at a good price point for use (and my skill level). A few extra bucks in touch up (gaskets to seal better, etc.) and she does quite well. Unfortunately, I don't use it much as I don't have the patience or time to smoke meat with charcoal. It really is a labor of love (and quite the skill).

My substitution was an electric smoker and I LOVE it. You really do "set it and forget it". Long smokes (for Boston butts, etc.) are a breeze and make the best pulled pork. Briskets, etc. All easy. Nothing better than setting the meat in one evening and then pulling it out the next AM to toss it into a cooler so it can just sit and breakdown. MMMMMMMM.

Next up will be a pellet grill. I have several neighbors with them and they all rave about them. Produces great food/flavor. Easy to run/manage. You can do virtually everything on them (traditional grilling, smoking, rotisserie and even smoked pizzas). When the infrared craps out, that will replace it.

Goldenhawk

Someone knocked the Charbroil infrared and I will defend it. I own one and love it. It fires up quick, gets REAL hot and is easy to maintain especially with the clean function (pull the tray and dump the ash). It's easy to control temps and zones, etc. For the price, I thought it was a decent product. I've had it for 5 years and will admit, this is about its end. But I am/was happy and would buy another. The added rotisserie is a nice touch to it as well for those in the market.
Five years and you're happy? Oh my. My previous stainless steel grill lasted nearly 10 years and I replaced it mainly because I couldn't get a proper new burner for such an old grill, but the frame and exterior and everything else was in nearly perfect condition. If you are happy spending that kind of money every five years, more power to you, but I hate the waste of money and time and having to add stuff to a landfill and most of all having to shop for something new of sufficient quality.

Hannibal

Five years and you're happy? Oh my. My previous stainless steel grill lasted nearly 10 years and I replaced it mainly because I couldn't get a proper new burner for such an old grill, but the frame and exterior and everything else was in nearly perfect condition. If you are happy spending that kind of money every five years, more power to you, but I hate the waste of money and time and having to add stuff to a landfill and most of all having to shop for something new of sufficient quality.

I am. It wasn't very expensive and my experience with grills is that they simply don't last. So it's worked well in that time and I feel I got decent value for it (where other grills have not). I believe I could invest in some repair parts to extend the life, and I still might, but my interests have led me to obtaining a pellet grill/smoker so change in the patio centerpiece is forthcoming.

Makavide

Not too talkative
decided to try a pellet grill this summer - loving it! Spent last Friday putzing around the yard with a brisket smoking away at 225 degrees for 10 hours. pulled it off and wrapped it, then knocked up the temp to 375 and threw on some chicken breasts that had been soaking all day. flipped them over after 15 minutes and then tossed on the dogs. Everyone was happy with their choice!!

will probably be getting rid of the gas grill and the charcoal grill sometime soon :)

Or one $350 stainless.
I'm not sold on stainless grills. My $700 Weber bought in 2014 has stainless gas burner tubes. When I was cleaning it 2 days ago, discovered 2 of the 4 tubes were rusted thru, the others were suspect. I've gotten 5 years out of regular steel grills.

Goldenhawk

I'm not sold on stainless grills. My $700 Weber bought in 2014 has stainless gas burner tubes. When I was cleaning it 2 days ago, discovered 2 of the 4 tubes were rusted thru, the others were suspect. I've gotten 5 years out of regular steel grills.
Any thin metal won't do well for burner tubes, since the heat cycling damages the metallic structure. Still, the stainless burner tubes on mine last a few years, about twice as long as non-stainless. If you got 5 years out of them, that's superb.

The best burner lifespan I ever had was with super thick, solid brass burner tubes on my first grill. I think I got 7 or so years out of them. But I never could find replacements. The solid cast iron bars that fit the grill were junk, and only lasted 2 years.

Dukesdad

I have an Oklahoma Joe combo gas charcoal and side box for indirect smoking. I like the charcoal taste when I have time and like burning propane when in a hurry.. I like tending to the stick burner when smoking.
Pellet grills are easy bake ovens for adults.

jiimi626

I'd recommend checking out FB marketplace or craigslist and find a used Weber propane. People let the $500-1,000 models go pretty cheap ($100-300). It's even worth a short drive if you can make it. There are plenty of reputable sellers on Ebay and Amazon that sell stainless replacement parts if anything needs fixing, but those things last. I'm still cooking on a 2001 model.

Then I'd get a regular old Weber kettle grill for your smoking and charcoal grilling. It can handle both easily and there are plenty of online resources to help get you going. If smoking is really your thing, then you can invest in a better smoker down the road (I'd recommend WSM). While I have never used a pellet smoker, I know a lot of people who have and they are great when they work, and useless when they don't.

Just my 2cents.

Goldenhawk

Pellet grills are easy bake ovens for adults.
Compared to the pioneer world of hunting and kill fresh meat and making your own fire with a few sticks, ANY grill is an easy bake oven for adults. I'll take easy bake over that any day. Weber or pellet stove is just degrees of simplicity and personal preference.