Need Some Advice!

sunnyAAF

Hi everyone! I need some advice concerning my 13 year old TB. Well, I had bought him last spring as a riding horse for myself. (His owner said that he can w/t/c and jump 2' 6"). Before I bought him, I rode him a couple times and he was fine. Once I purchased him, and brought him home, I rode him a few times in the ring, and he began to be skittish. I took him out of the ring one day, and he bolted and bucked and I fell off and sprained my back. After I recooped, I got back on him, but he continued to spook at everything and be very skittish. He was not at all like that when I was looking to buy him, which makes me believe that they had him doped up. I have talked to a few horse people and they said that they can remember this horse from several years ago, when he was at another farm and they said that he spooked and bolted all the time, and thats why his owner had sold him. A few friends have ridden him, and he does the same thing to them. I have no clue what to do with him. If there was some way that I could get him to stop spooking and bucking when I ride him, I would definately do it. But since he is 13 and has done this his whole life, I dont know if he can change. He also spooks when being lounged and walked by a lead. So if you guys could give me advice on what I could prolly do, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Cowgirl

It would probably be best to hire a trainer if you don't feel comfortable working on it yourself. :shrug:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I would sign him up for one of the "bomb proofing" clinics. They are great, and are helpful to both the horse and rider.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I had a young TBx very much like that, but his problem was lack of work. I started him with the help of an event trainer and he was being worked 3-5 times a week and he was perfect. After about a year I moved him to my house but continued that same work schedule. After high school I couldn't ride as often and the behaviour changed COMPLETELY. He HAD to be worked at the very least 3 times a week, this meant good, long, steady workouts. He was most comfortable when ridden 5x a week. It wasn't even that he was attempting to misbehave he just wasn't comfortable being a horse that was ridden only once a week and had so much extra energy that he was nervous.

I did not have the time to ride him as much as he needed so I ended up selling him to a grand prix jumper trainer in Middleburg who got him back in line and resold him to a lady who boards at a trainer's barn. The horse is worked daily and is safe for his novice rider.

Sparks

Agree with you guys 100% on consistent work. Also there are supplements that work on "some" horses.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I had a horse like that also that went to a new home. I got help from a couple of trainers. I also tried Quissence, which helped calm his mind some. He still bolted, so I had my trainer sell him. He is happy doing his new job.

Contact me through PM and I can refer you to a couple of trainers. Also Devine is good. I wish I had her work my old guy.

spellbound

In many cases, the behavior you are describing can be the result of pain.
I have my theories on the other causes.

I had one like this for 13 years. I don't really remember if the spooking behavior disappeared when I was working her regularly. I think it did.
Calming supplements seemed to make her act more confident and be less of a chicken, but only when she was being worked regularly.

sunnyAAF

This all sounds great. I will definately change our routine and excercise him a lot more and consistently while using the calming supplements. If that doesnt work then I will contact some trainers. Thanks for all of your advice!