Need some assistance.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
I recently inherited an old boat from a family member. I was wondering if there was anyone local that worked on outboards and/or anyone on here that would be willing to talk with me about what I might need to do to get it up and running. Thanks!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
The only local place I know of is Newburg Marine in Charles County, though I'm sure there are more places to choose from.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
What year, make and horsepower motor?

Guy Brothers in Clements - Evinrude/Johnson
Cather Marine - Coltons Point - Yamaha
Place in Tall Timbers - Mercury/Force

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What year, make and horsepower motor?

Guy Brothers in Clements - Evinrude/Johnson
Cather Marine - Coltons Point - Yamaha
Place in Tall Timbers - Mercury/Force

What Baja said....except ...who is the Merc/Force person in Tall Timbers?

Cather is probably the best shop to get work done on any old motor because they have been a dealer and repair facility for every brand at one time or another and have a lot of older parts inventory up in the loft. Guy Brothers has been wrenching on OMC outboards almost since Henry Ford was a kid. That said...be prepared for the fact that marina shop repair rates are in the $100/hour neighborhood..give or take.

I've been restoring/repairing/operating old Mercurys and Johnson/Evinrudes for a good 35 years (and have a pile of them..running and not).....and maintaining Yamahas for some of the local waterman for the last 15 or so. So if your outboard is one of those, feel free to shoot me a PM; advice is always free.

glhs837

Power with Control
Hey, Gilligan, while you are here talking old boats, I"m thinking of talking to my neighbor lady about a boat her late husband, a notorious collector of many mysterious things, has in back of the house. Appears to be a 68 or 69 Evinrude Sportsman 155, last registration sticker is from 98. Hull looks flawless, no growth or even stains, engine looks to be the nailhead Buick, heads and valve covers are in the seats, interior hard to say, tonneau cover is shot, upholstery in front is gone, the other seats, while worn, look serviceable. Has the original tilt trailer. From what I read, these can be cool little runabouts, might be an inexpensive way to play around with powerboating. Say the motor is shot, needs pulled and rebuilt, getting the motor out isnt that hard correct? What other potential pitfalls might be lurking?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Dennis Point. They did at one time decades ago. I guess that's Drayden, not TT.

ah..right..and no, they've not really been doing any outboard repair since Gardiners sold it. Fuzzy Norris is still there and does a little outboard repair...but its not his speciality, for sure.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Hey, Gilligan, while you are here talking old boats, I"m thinking of talking to my neighbor lady about a boat her late husband, a notorious collector of many mysterious things, has in back of the house. Appears to be a 68 or 69 Evinrude Sportsman 155, last registration sticker is from 98. Hull looks flawless, no growth or even stains, engine looks to be the nailhead Buick, heads and valve covers are in the seats, interior hard to say, tonneau cover is shot, upholstery in front is gone, the other seats, while worn, look serviceable. Has the original tilt trailer. From what I read, these can be cool little runabouts, might be an inexpensive way to play around with powerboating. Say the motor is shot, needs pulled and rebuilt, getting the motor out isnt that hard correct? What other potential pitfalls might be lurking?

That should be a Buick 225 V-6 and the original (crap) OMC outdrive setup. Though cool little boats, IMO, they aren't worth much $$ even in really nice condition. So if you wanted to save it and use it, your best bet would be to buy a Merc V-6 repower package and replace everything. (they are not as expensive as you might think..3.8L EFI V-6 and outdrive, harness, guage/control package..). The job is fairly easy as long as you have an overhead hoist available (although I did one using a stout tree branch once).

Parts can be found for both the old Buick V-6 and that hateful old OMC outdrive design, but...

Otherwise...check the transom for interior wood rot and the entire floor/deck for same. I think that those were made same as the Glastrons, with a raised ply floor over the glass hull. I'm replacing the floor and engine bed stringers in an early CV-16 Carlson as we speak...and did that for my '68 Woodson trihull two years ago.

Last edited:

limblips

PREMO Member
Hey Gilligan,

You have any '58 Super Seahorse 35 stuff? I have a runner and a parts motor. Always checking for more. Rebuilt carb, fuel pump, starter, and new water pump and thermostat. Fired up and runs great. Smokes a bit but I mixed rich for initial runs. This is the original motor that came on the '57 Duracraft Duraflite I am restoring. I also have a '59 Lonestar Malibu with the original 28 Super Hurricane. Dropped a '03 Mercury 40 on it for the kiddos to use tubing.

Attachments

• 1959Duracraft.jpg
    1959Duracraft.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 105
  • img_15714095_01.jpg
    img_15714095_01.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 102

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Hey Gilligan,

You have any '58 Super Seahorse 35 stuff? I have a runner and a parts motor. Always checking for more. Rebuilt carb, fuel pump, starter, and new water pump and thermostat. Fired up and runs great. Smokes a bit but I mixed rich for initial runs. This is the original motor that came on the '57 Duracraft Duraflite I am restoring. I also have a '59 Lonestar Malibu with the original 28 Super Hurricane. Dropped a '03 Mercury 40 on it for the kiddos to use tubing.

nossir...the only 35 I have is a lot newer..a '76. I have only some 7.5-15 HP twin-cyl engines and parts circa '58 including one '62 10HP Evinrude that runs like a top..

Great looking runabouts you got there!

glitch

Devil's Advocate
It's an older 28hp Evinrude SPL(1995). Guy that had it before said something about a shifting rod having sheared off. I don't know a thing about them. All I know is, he attempted to take it apart to repair it and it's still in pieces.

I'm actually thinking now that I might just buy a new one. I'd like to get the boat in the water this summer and it's not looking like I'll have much luck getting it fixed before then. Was also told that if the part did actually shear off, the motor might not be worth fixing.

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
What Baja said....except ...who is the Merc/Force person in Tall Timbers?

Cather is probably the best shop to get work done on any old motor because they have been a dealer and repair facility for every brand at one time or another and have a lot of older parts inventory up in the loft. Guy Brothers has been wrenching on OMC outboards almost since Henry Ford was a kid. That said...be prepared for the fact that marina shop repair rates are in the $100/hour neighborhood..give or take.

I've been restoring/repairing/operating old Mercurys and Johnson/Evinrudes for a good 35 years (and have a pile of them..running and not).....and maintaining Yamahas for some of the local waterman for the last 15 or so. So if your outboard is one of those, feel free to shoot me a PM; advice is always free.

What ever happened to Loffler, locked up somewhere