Need Some Help

watercolor

yeah yeah
We have a 20-Something group at my church that I am involved in...and we are getting ready to do the fall planning stuff. We have all of our bible study's picked out, and we have all the events picked out- be we also need to incoorperate(sp) Mercy Stuff. such as helping people less fortunate, or organizations, etc.

We will do the food drive stuff and all...but- we also have the need to do something more out of the oridinary. I was given the idea of calling hospice...and such...which I will do....but we are looking for more idea's also. If people can just start throwing out ideas, I would be appreciative. :smile:

Any idea's are helpful.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
With the holidays approaching, you could look into the Angel Tree Program which I think is put on by the Salvation Army. You pick children/families and buy Christmas gifts for them. You can also get families from your local county social service office. What about food baskets for Thanksgiving??

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Nursing homes are a good bet. As would be checking into mentoring /after school programs since school is starting back up.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by cattitude
With the holidays approaching, you could look into the Angel Tree Program which I think is put on by the Salvation Army. You pick children/families and buy Christmas gifts for them. You can also get families from your local county social service office. What about food baskets for Thanksgiving??

Yea we are going to be calling (or I should say I will be calling) social services and getting the names of 5 families and making up thanksgiving food baskets. (I was just discussing this with the salesman here.. he works for the american leigion and was giving me ideas also)

So I will be calling social services on those...:smile: We are also doing alot of dinner theatre's come the start of october, and will be having some of them as donation nights...for hospice, and the childrens cancer fund, and for Out of the Darkness

Last edited:

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by migtig
Nursing homes are a good bet. As would be checking into mentoring /after school programs since school is starting back up.

Ok. I know you have done some work with going and visiting shut-ins and nursing homes right? How would you suggest I go about this? I am interested...and maybe we could do some things like caroling and such... :smile:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Originally posted by watercolor23
Ok. I know you have done some work with going and visiting shut-ins and nursing homes right? How would you suggest I go about this? I am interested...and maybe we could do some things like caroling and such... :smile:
Number one look in the phone book - seriously, and call the nursing homes and or hospitals in your area and ask to speak to the shift supervisor. Then explain who you are, what group ya represent and exactly what you are looking at doing. They will tell you if it is even feasible for that particular home, and let you know what hours they like "company". Then you continue from there. However, do not make plans for such and such date and time and not show. It's the worst. Some of the residents are aware and look forward to their "company" coming to visit them and will wait all day. :frown:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by migtig
However, do not make plans for such and such date and time and not show. It's the worst. Some of the residents are aware and look forward to their "company" coming to visit them and will wait all day. :frown:

:yeahthat:

I used to volunteer at St. Mary's Nursing Center and really enjoyed it. I took our Boston Terrier in on many occasions and they LOVED seeing him. It was great!

watercolor

yeah yeah
Thanks mig! I will most definate call the ones in the area. :smile: Have y hear anything about bayside??? J/C. Cause I have a couple contacts there