Need suggestions

Kirsten

I think our older cat may have arthritis in the spine or at least his back hips. He has lost a lot of weight recently, his spine is nearly always arched to a greater or lesser degree and he walks with his back legs not fully extended and one of them he gimps, VERY MINOR.

He doesn't seem to be in pain, though definitely not as agile as he used to be. He is 13 or 14, my husband got him from a shelter as an adult cat and before we got together which is why I am a little unclear on his age, but very much qualifies as a senior citizen kitty. I guess I am looking for suggestions on what we could do to try to get the legs working better, and does anyone know if they have something along the lines of ibuprofen for kitties? I know veterinary science has come up with one for dogs but have no clue about cats.

D

dems4me

I'm not sure, but I do recall that either asprin, antibiotic or ibuprofene can kill a cat (I'm not sure which one though). In the meantime, maybe he'd like to sleep on a heating pad during the cold days? That might help?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
We've had this discussion before on here, but it was about dogs. Click here for the thread.

I've not had an arthritic cat, so I can't vouch for using the glucosamine for them. But according to the link for Arthrix in the thread, it's supposed to help them, too.

Good luck!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Hyperthyroidism is very common in older cats. They lose weight and tend to look very unkempt. Mine limps and we've never been able to figure out why. He takes thyroid meds and has for about 2 years. He could have kidney problems. He really should be worked up by a vet.

Kirsten

Thank you all for the suggestions. I don't think it is diabetes, he hasn't had an episode like what archi described. Hadn't thought about hyperthyroidism in him. I have gotten a couple of good suggestions for vets and I think I will go to Breton Animal Hospital. I need to convince the hubby to take him in since I still am on driving restrictions. I think he is afraid because this is his cat, had him longer than we have been together and I think he is afraid with him being so old that it maybe something untreatable.

We just had to put one of our cats down a couple of years ago, heart problems that we knew was possible flared up and took him rather quickly. It was a very hard time since we had lost my dog a year before. All of our pets were close to the same age so it is going to be a rough road ahead in the next few years. The remaining two cats are qualifying as senior citizens. The young ones now are the dog, got him two years ago, almost three, and the bird.