Need to sell my Mom's van, get it inspected

luvscats

I need to sell my Mom's 02 minivan. I was thinking I'd have it inspected before I actually sold it. The person wanting to buy it is low on funds and I don't want to sell him something that's going to eat up what little money he has left after he pays for the van. So where in Calvert can I get it inspected by someone honest??

thank you.

dave1959

Calvert is pretty big area, could you narrow it down a little. Most places that work on cars can do inspections but they do have to be licensed by the state.

Forkian

Just stay away from Mr Tire in PF. They use the inspection to hit you up to fix things that may not really be needed. I would call Coastal Car Care (across from Bowling Alley)or another small local shop. They are usually more honest.

Last edited:

luvscats

Well I've been reading up on selling a used car in Maryland and it seems I am required to get it inspected to sell it. I didn't know that was a requirement. So I think I'll just keep the darn van. If it fails inspection then the buyer won't want to buy it and I will have to put money into it to get it repaired even to drive it myself.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Well I've been reading up on selling a used car in Maryland and it seems I am required to get it inspected to sell it. I didn't know that was a requirement. So I think I'll just keep the darn van. If it fails inspection then the buyer won't want to buy it and I will have to put money into it to get it repaired even to drive it myself.

That's a new one to me. I recently bought a vehicle, private sale, and there was no inspection. The guy who sells on St. Andrews Church Rd, Car Match or whatever, doesn't offer the inspection either, you have to pay for it. Cars are sold, "as is".

luvscats

well I don't know diddly about selling a car. I just wanted to sell Mom's van so she'd have a little more money in her account. Here's what I read about the inspection:

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/INFO/58000ASE/58000-01T.htm

Vehicle Safety Inspection - Most used vehicles are required by Maryland Law to undergo a safety inspection prior to its sale or transfer. Generally, the seller or transferor of the vehicle is required to obtain the inspection certificate. However, for class E trucks (exceeding ¾ ton manufacturer’s rated capacity), class F truck tractors, and class G freight trailers, semi-trailers and dump service semi-trailers, either the seller/transferor or the purchaser/transferee may obtain the inspection certificate. The purchaser/transferee then submits the inspection certificate to the MVA in order to register the vehicle.

How do I obtain a Maryland Inspection Certificate for my vehicle? - To obtain an inspection certificate, you must have your vehicle inspected at an authorized safety inspection station in Maryland.

It's required to have the car inspected before you can register it. It's a common practice to have the car inspected before sale to tell the buyer it's ok, but it isn't mandatory. You can sell the car 'as is' and it is the buyer's responsibility to inspect it before the buyer registers it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It's required to have the car inspected before you can register it. It's a common practice to have the car inspected before sale to tell the buyer it's ok, but it isn't mandatory. You can sell the car 'as is' and it is the buyer's responsibility to inspect it before the buyer registers it.

:yay: Indeed, however in the general scheme of things, if a vehicle passes inspection you can ask more .....

ok, thanks. I'll be glad when this is done. :)

what are you asking ?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The current law is that, "... if any other person transfers a used vehicle, the person shall obtain an inspection certificate from an inspection station." (section 23-106b(2) of the Transportation Article)

Interesting to note is that effective June 30, 2017 the inspection certificate shall be issued without charge and attached to a window of the vehicle.

The current law is that, "... if any other person transfers a used vehicle, the person shall obtain an inspection certificate from an inspection station." (section 23-106b(2) of the Transportation Article)

Interesting to note is that effective June 30, 2017 the inspection certificate shall be issued without charge and attached to a window of the vehicle.
Ok, thanx. In every transaction I've dealt with, the MVA only cared there was an inspection, not who obtained it.

SoMDGirl42

Ok, thanx. In every transaction I've dealt with, the MVA only cared there was an inspection, not who obtained it.

"either the seller/transferor or the purchaser/transferee may obtain the inspection certificate"

I thought so as well. I thought you could sell any vehicle in "as is" condition without the inspection certificate.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

Yep, the MVA doesn't care who obtained the certificate only that there is one. And I have bought many vehicles "as is", prepped them and obtained the certificate on my own, but the law is rather clear if the issue were to be ever enforced.

With the change to the law coming in 2017, I wonder who will cover the labor costs for inspections in the future?

Smith

Just stay away from Mr Tire in PF. They use the inspection to hit you up to fix things that may not really be needed. I would call Coastal Car Care (across from Bowling Alley)or another small local shop. They are usually more honest.

This has not been my experience with MD State Inspections at Mr Tire. I have had 3 vehicles inspected there in the last 10 years and never once did they even mention that anything was needed. They didn't even charge for the headlight adjustment, which is often on of the things cars are dinged for.

Smith

Of the 30 cars I have owned over the years, the only ones that came inspected were the ones that I bought at a Maryland dealer. The rest were my responsibility, including the 2 that I purchased from dealers in Virginia (those came with VA inspections, but I had to get MD inspection prior to tag/title work completion).

Keep in mind an inspection certificate is only good for 30 days, and sometimes it takes longer than that to sell a car.