Need To Turn Tags In

direxpgw

?? Hoops to jump through? Maryland just has a very firm and verifiable requirement for insurance coverage. No insurance...no tags/registration. It is true that other states are more lax....I didn't have to worry about returning the Virginia tags or registration off the Cherokee I recently acquired from family member in Virginia. In fact, they are keeping the tags and putting on the garage wall because they were personalized... Can't do that here in MD unfortunately.

Semi untrue. While MD would like to have you believe that, in reality you only have to write a company and policy # down on your application in order to get tags. You could make it up out of thin air if you wanted to. Maryland has no verification of insurance in order to initially acquire tags and registration. It is only when you cancel said insurance that the respective company informs MVA, who cross checks it to see if you still have valid tags. So if you still have tags and your insurance company says you've cancelled, MVA assumes you are driving uninsured and fines you. The system is plagued with so many glaring errors its astonishing. For example, no FR-19 or verification is required to initially get tags, so Jose Rodriguez buys a 1989 Toyota and just writes down that he has State Farm insurance, policy ABC123 that he just made up. MVA gladly takes his money and gives him tags. He is now driving uninsured because he never had a real policy to start with. And of course State Farm never notifies MVA of any cancellation, because Jose never existed with them in the first place. Such a joke.

And you don't have to turn in tags that are expired. No need. Only tags with active stickers. If you have a personalized tag and want to mount on your wall, turn in the back one with the stickers and keep the front one. The rear stickered tag is sufficient to kill the registration in the MVA system.

vince77

car insurance in Maryland is mandatory. Sure you can make it all up and may get away with it for a while, but it's illegal. Would it make sense to do that?

glhs837

Power with Control
car insurance in Maryland is mandatory. Sure you can make it all up and may get away with it for a while, but it's illegal. Would it make sense to do that?

Sure, if you are willing to enter the country and live illegally, why wouldn't you also drive illegally?

officeguy

Semi untrue. While MD would like to have you believe that, in reality you only have to write a company and policy # down on your application in order to get tags. You could make it up out of thin air if you wanted to. Maryland has no verification of insurance in order to initially acquire tags and registration.

The insurance companies report insuring a car to MVA if it has a maryland address on the policy. I have a car that has out of state plates but seasonally carries maryland insurance. Every time I insure the car in MD, I get letters from the MVA inquiring about that car that I have 'garaged' in the state but not registered here.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And you don't have to turn in tags that are expired. No need. Only tags with active stickers. If you have a personalized tag and want to mount on your wall, turn in the back one with the stickers and keep the front one. The rear stickered tag is sufficient to kill the registration in the MVA system.

Odd..that's not what their web site says.

Maryland law requires you to return your license plates to the MVA when your vehicle's insurance is cancelled, when you move out of Maryland, or when you no longer need the license plates. Under certain circumstances you may be eligible for a partial refund of your registration fee.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/27300/27300-04T.htm

vince77

image.jpeg [SUB]Or[/SUB] steal a banana out of WaWa. You can basically break any law you want, some without any real consequences, insurance fraud has consequences, kinda like running red lights at photo enforcement intersections.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
View attachment 111652 [SUB]Or[/SUB] steal a banana out of WaWa. You can basically break any law you want, some without any real consequences, insurance fraud has consequences, kinda like running red lights at photo enforcement intersections.

My point is that there is, barring accidents, no consequence if you are not a legal person. Illegal with a fake address? Where's the consequence of not having insurance?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Turned tags in a couple months ago in Waldorf, took 5 minutes, fill out a one page form, wrap a rubber band around tags and form, drop in slot. No human contact necessary.

that may be Waldorf, but not everyone is driving thru Waldorf and wants to spend t time to drive up and back.
Typical of the MVA you have to stand on line to get a number and lane. I think there is only one lane for Tag returns, but you need the paper first.
Then you stand on line again so they can take your tag.

Not sure why I opted for the MVA, I used the tag and title place to get the tags. It could be that they charge OR they could have warned me that it would take several days to go thru them.
IDK, I just remember I made a choice to go there.

glhs837

Power with Control
Actually turned in a set of tags on Friday mid morning I just got the emailed receipt for them today. And that was using the Dropbox no line required walk in fill out the form wrapping film in the box

Last edited:
You can also drop them in an envelope and send them via mail to Glen Burnie. No need to go anywhere.

direxpgw

The insurance companies report insuring a car to MVA if it has a maryland address on the policy. I have a car that has out of state plates but seasonally carries maryland insurance. Every time I insure the car in MD, I get letters from the MVA inquiring about that car that I have 'garaged' in the state but not registered here.

That is a different situation. Insurance companies are only mandated to notify the state when insurance is cancelled, not added. So if you never had it to start with, there would be no notification of cancellation. MVA does check randomly, but this is few and far between. And yes, car insur is expensive so there are many people, illegals included, that figure out ways around the system. If there weren't so many uninsured people, your UM (uninsured motorist) premiums wouldn't be so high.

And dead tags don't need to be turned in. If stickers are expired, you shouldn't be driving on them and the MVA cant fine you for not having insurance on a set of dead tags. Its only good tags and no insurance that triggers the flag/fine. Rear tag carries stickers and is trigger for cancellation.

mitzi

No, but people drive on revoked and suspended licenses, keep the tags on the car if insurance is dropped, etc. People do stupid things hoping they don't get caught.