Nehemiah 2 Permission

seekeroftruth

Nehemiah 2:1 In the month of Nisan in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was brought for him, I took the wine and gave it to the king. I had not been sad in his presence before, 2 so the king asked me, “Why does your face look so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart.”
I was very much afraid, 3 but I said to the king, “May the king live forever! Why should my face not look sad when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?”
4 The king said to me, “What is it you want?”
Then I prayed to the God of heaven, 5 and I answered the king, “If it pleases the king and if your servant has found favor in his sight, let him send me to the city in Judah where my ancestors are buried so that I can rebuild it.”
6 Then the king, with the queen sitting beside him, asked me, “How long will your journey take, and when will you get back?” It pleased the king to send me; so I set a time.
7 I also said to him, “If it pleases the king, may I have letters to the governors of Trans-Euphrates, so that they will provide me safe-conduct until I arrive in Judah?8 And may I have a letter to Asaph, keeper of the royal park, so he will give me timber to make beams for the gates of the citadel by the temple and for the city wall and for the residence I will occupy?” And because the gracious hand of my God was on me, the king granted my requests. 9 So I went to the governors of Trans-Euphrates and gave them the king’s letters. The king had also sent army officers and cavalry with me.
10 When Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite official heard about this, they were very much disturbed that someone had come to promote the welfare of the Israelites.
Back in my childhood.... I use to watch westerns on Saturday mornings. There were a couple of them that were serial..... they would say things like "Meanwhile..... back at the ranch"..... it was always a precursor to something to come. I feel like verse 10 is one of those "meanwhile.... back at the ranch" moments.... these two... A Hornite and an Ammonite are disturbed about this.... I think this is a "got to tune in" moment in the making.

The commentaries say that acting "sad" in the presence of the king was deeply frowned upon. Having a sad cup bearer must have been terrorizing. The cup bearer was the one who tasted the king's food to make sure it wasn't poisoned.... he should be happy.... all the time....

This is from the enduringword.com site.

I had never been sad in his presence before: On that particular day, Nehemiah noted that he had never been sad or depressed in the presence of the king, and on this day when the king took notice, Nehemiah became dreadfully afraid. As was true in the courts of many ancient kings, it was forbidden to be sad in the presence of the king. The idea was that the king was such a wonderful person that merely being in his presence was supposed to make you forget all of your problems. When Nehemiah looked sad, it could have been taken as a terrible insult to the king.​
Why should my face not be sad: Nehemiah’s answer was not only wise, it was honest. Often, when are we visibly depressed or troubled, and when someone asks us about it, we simply reply “Nothing’s wrong!” or “Oh, I’m O.K.” At those times, we aren’t honest.​
Sanballat the Horonite… Tobiah the Ammonite: At the governor’s station, Nehemiah met these two enemies of Jerusalem and anyone who cared for the welfare of the city. They were deeply disturbed that a man had come to seek the well-being of the children of Israel.​
The easy English site says that these two only represent those who were enemies of the Israelites.

Now Nehemiah had letters from the king. This would show people that the king had changed his decision about Jerusalem. People would also see the soldiers that the king sent to protect Nehemiah. Then they would know that the king was helping Nehemiah. But some of the people who lived near Judah heard about all this. They were angry. Because they were the Jews’ enemies, they did not want anyone to help the people in Israel.
Nehemiah was a cup bearer.... this is a man who was would taste the king's food or drink before it went before the king. So... he was in a position of trust. The king really trusted him..... and that might have worked in his favor as well.... wouldn't want to make the guy who tastes my food for poison sad.... that's like biting the hand that feeds you! God really put the issue of "trust" to bed early in this book. I think it's fair to say Nehemiah was a trustworthy guy.

Now... there are these two guys who want Nehemiah's mission to fail. I have a "meanwhile back at the ranch" feeling about them so I found this at biblestudytools.com.

When Sanballat the Horonite
Who either presided at Horonaim, or sprung from thence, a city of Moab, ( Isaiah 15:5 )​
and Tobiah the servant, the Ammonite;
who was formerly a slave, but now raised, from a low mean estate, to be governor in the land of Ammon, though still a vassal of the king of Persia:​
heard of it, it grieved them exceedingly that there came a man to seek
the welfare of the children of Israel
;
to which the Moabites and Ammonites were always averse, and ever bore an hatred to Israel, and envied everything that tended to their happiness.​

Old enemies.... whenever Israel raises their head..... old enemies say "hold it right there!"

☕