Netflix fights attempt to make streaming firms pay for ISP network upgrades

Clem72

No, they don't. Sorry, try again.

It also doesn't cost us more when we have more traffic.

So let me get this straight. You can think for yourself, but you can't follow a simple example? Yes, my assumption about how you fund your site was incorrect. It was also completely irrelevant to the point being made.

It must be absolutely exhausting to live with you, kudos to monello he is either a saint or on some powerful tranquilizers.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So let me get this straight. You can think for yourself, but you can't follow a simple example? Yes, my assumption about how you fund your site was incorrect. It was also completely irrelevant to the point being made.

It must be absolutely exhausting to live with you, kudos to monello he is either a saint or on some powerful tranquilizers.

Monello isn't an insulting little bitch who likes to pick fights, so we get along just fine. Thanks for your concern.

DaSDGuy

No, they don't. Sorry, try again.

It also doesn't cost us more when we have more traffic.
Isn't that the Netflix response? They have more traffic and the ISP's want to charge them more to upgrade their own infrastructure.

Last edited:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Starlink promised high data rates and unlimited usage. As time goes on, they've severely reduced data rates and if you now use more than a new limit, you get throttled. And then raised monthly rates anyway. 2nd price increase in a year.

From a user's perspective, I'm being charged more because they oversold and underestimated the resources. Not my problem. Well, ok, it is because I'm not getting what I was promised, but not my problem that the resources were oversold, and I should be getting a reduction in rate for the cutback in services.

Very close to ditching it and going with 5G cell service. Lots of decent plans/rates out there.

Clem72

Starlink promised high data rates and unlimited usage. As time goes on, they've severely reduced data rates and if you now use more than a new limit, you get throttled. And then raised monthly rates anyway. 2nd price increase in a year.

From a user's perspective, I'm being charged more because they oversold and underestimated the resources. Not my problem. Well, ok, it is because I'm not getting what I was promised, but not my problem that the resources were oversold, and I should be getting a reduction in rate for the cutback in services.

Very close to ditching it and going with 5G cell service. Lots of decent plans/rates out there.
All very valid, what's that got to do with this issue though? Do you think Starlink should charge netflix to upgrade their satellites since they can't provide you the speed they promised (maybe because your neighbor is watching a 2mbit/s netflix video)?

The ISPs sell everyone multiple-hundred megabit per second connections, but say streaming services are the reason they can't deliver those speeds. It's patently ridiculous. Even if every single subscriber of their basic 100mbit service was watching 3 HD streams from Netflix at the same time (which would be about 10mbit total) it wouldn't take 1/10th of their supposed alotted bandwidth, probably far far less if many subscribers have above the basic tier service. That tells me they way way way oversubscribed and it's somehow the streamers fault and not theirs for failure to deliver.

Even Breezeline does this. Go look at their packages. Do you read e-mail and occasionally check recipe websites? You need 100mbit service. Want to watch youtube, you need 200mbit service. Want you video game systems to work, better get gigabit. (slight exaggeration, but not much. Any and all of the uses they identify for their highest tier service should be completely usable simultaneously by their lowest tier).

PeoplesElbow

Hate to say I told you it sounded too good to be true....

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Hate to say I told you it sounded too good to be true....
I'm the kind of person to take a chance on leading edge/new tech. Tried it, may not work out. No biggie, on to the next new toy.

It would be a lot better if Musk got the full compliment of satellites in orbit.

PeoplesElbow

I'm the kind of person to take a chance on leading edge/new tech. Tried it, may not work out. No biggie, on to the next new toy.

It would be a lot better if Musk got the full compliment of satellites in orbit.
He has a track record of over promising and backtracking IMHO. Not unjustified, but still.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Meta slams telco fee proposal, says ISPs should pay their own network costs

Internet service providers in the EU argue that Big Tech companies should pay a "fair share" toward network-building costs. In the US, Federal Communications Commission Republican Brendan Carr claims that "Big Tech has been enjoying a free ride on our Internet infrastructure while skipping out on the billions of dollars in costs needed to maintain and build that network."

Big Tech companies don't actually get free access to the Internet, though. Anyone distributing content over the Internet pays their own providers, builds their own network infrastructure, or does some combination of the two.

For extremely large companies like Netflix and Meta, investments include building their own content-delivery networks. "Over the last decade, CAPs have collectively invested over $880 billion in global digital infrastructure, including approximately $120 billion a year from 2018 to 2021," Meta's blog post today said. "These infrastructure contributions made by technology companies save telecom operators around $6 billion per year."

Network Fee Proposals Are Based on a False Premise

• Network fee proposals do not recognise that our investments in content drive the business model of telecom operators.
  • We and others see no credible evidence of an investment gap in either fixed network capacity or mobile coverage.
  • Meta is investing to build a more reliable and efficient internet. We welcome working with telecom operators to achieve this goal – but this must be based on evidence.