Netflix (or Amazon Prime) and chill

Chris0nllyn

Almost forgot Shameless (the US version). If you can handle a show about a family full of debauchery, nudity, and chock full of bad decisions, it's good.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I LOVE British shows. Considering subscribing to the Acorn App so I can get even more. Have you seen Broadchurch? It's really good.

Now that I think of it, I've seen Acorn App on my Roku in the kitchen...I've never even bothered to open it :lol: guess I'll have to, see if I'm missing anything! I watched the series on Netflix, Very British Problems, and it made me realize why I'm so awkward and quirky and ... basically British! I blame it on the 3 years I lived there. Just nice to know I'm not alone :lol:

Netflix has also suggested Broadchurch to me (I wonder why :lol:) I'll have to check it out, thanks!

Hannibal

If we're sticking to Netflix shows (available), I will offer up (and endorse) the following:

1. Breaking Bad - right now I am hardcore into this. I avoided it for so long and finally gave it a go about two weeks ago. I'm officially hooked. Definitely not what I thought it would be and I am very glad I gave it a shot. So well done. I am trying to watch an episode or two a night as time allows.

2. The Good Place - a new show we found on Netflix. Season 1 is there and Season 2 is still being played out on NBC I believe. Wife and I love it.

3. Arrow / Flash - My 9 year old watches this whenever he can get to a TV. I will admit, I find myself checking it out when it's on. Generally not a comic book guy but it's entertaining.

4. Grand Tour / Top Gear - I binge watch this often rewatching old episodes. I just love the hosts. Grand Tour Season 2 is out with new shows on Friday nights. GT isn't as good as Top Gear was before they left but it's a work in progress and has its moments. I am a car guy but I watch this show more for the hosts and their interactions. Some of their challenges are great. And their specials are a blast to watch.

Bonus - I can use "Netflix and Chill" as a means of gauging the wife's interest in "other things" and am happy regardless of the response.

Me: "Hey babe, how about we Netflix and Chill tonight?"
Her: "No, you disgust me."
Me: "Sweet, I get to catch up on some Breaking Bad!"

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I'll give an upvote to Dope, the second episode about Baltimore was pretty good. Although both episodes I watched used a hook where they make it sound like the cops they are with are closing in on the doper they are engaged with. A bit of a cheap shot.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I've noticed Netflix is slowly turning into a clearing house of poorly made B movies and documentaries to fee the masses of the left. That's not to say there isn't still some good programming for people who want to forget about their day, and be entertained. There are a few "planet" docs that are very good, and the occasional decent movie accidentally finds it's way in, but I think the meat of Netflix is it's series programming. That's my opinion, of course, so you trolls who want to make a mountain out of a mole hill, forget it.

One of my favorites is Turn: Washingtons Spies.
I'm trying to watch Peaky Blinders, but have to be in the mood for it. Frontier just rubbed me the wrong way right off the bat, but I need to go back and try again. The violence right of the bat kind of caught me off guard.

I'm mostly a period piece kind of viewer, so anything with a more modern setting will probably not keep my attention. I can check out the news and social media for that crap.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I'll give an upvote to Dope, the second episode about Baltimore was pretty good. Although both episodes I watched used a hook where they make it sound like the cops they are with are closing in on the doper they are engaged with. A bit of a cheap shot.

Yes, I have watched all 4 episodes. Very good but obviously dramatized for the viewer.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Call the Midwife is really good. I just finished all 6 Seasons and am anxiously awaiting the 7th. It's one of those shows that just makes you feel good (mostly, there are some sad episodes).

Black Mirror is really good if you like Twilight Zone type stuff. Very clever (and disturbing).

I'm looking forward to S7. Good series. I like a lot of british tv, too. Loved Doc Martin and Murder in Paradise.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I'm looking forward to S7. Good series. I like a lot of british tv, too. Loved Doc Martin and Murder in Paradise.

I think you would like 'The Crown' about the life of the current queen Elizabeth. Very lushly done and well acted. I find it fascinating, especially how she and the Churchill interacted.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I think you would like 'The Crown' about the life of the current queen Elizabeth. Very lushly done and well acted. I find it fascinating, especially how she and the Churchill interacted.

I'm actually up to date on The Crown, I just didn't feel the need to list everything I've watched. B and I both like it. We binged on it last time he was home, and got caught up. I try to save some things to watch with him when he's home.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Do NOT - under any circumstances - watch 'Sandy Wexler' with Adam Sandler on Netflix. It is totally unwatchable and I will guarantee you will want to throw your TV out the window after 10 minutes. :lol: It started autoplaying after another movie and I curiously watched about 10 minutes :twitch: then turned it off before I DID throw the TV out the window.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Started watching 'Black Mirror' and it is very good. :yay: I didn't realize I started with season 4 so I am working my way backwards. :lol:

The only episode that really disturbed me so far was the one with the robot dogs. Wow. Very intense and suspenseful. :twitch:

Chris0nllyn

Started watching 'Black Mirror' and it is very good. :yay: I didn't realize I started with season 4 so I am working my way backwards. :lol:

The only episode that really disturbed me so far was the one with the robot dogs. Wow. Very intense and suspenseful. :twitch:

Oh, they get better. :lol:

Starman

Just wait until you reach the first episode of the first season!

Chris0nllyn

:yikes: :lol: I shall make sure I watch this show earlier in the day as the dreams I have had afterwards were insane! :jameo:

They all aren't quite the same (nail-biting, edge of your seat, nightmare material) as some are more focused (especially in the earlier seasons) on the technology and how it affects people in less, um, life threatening ways. :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
They all aren't quite the same (nail-biting, edge of your seat, nightmare material) as some are more focused (especially in the earlier seasons) on the technology and how it affects people in less, um, life threatening ways. :lol:

Yes, I know that - now. :lmao: Since I started watching Season 4 first, the first one I watched was "USS Callister” aka the Star Trek episode. So far it is my favorite. About two episodes into season 3 now.

But each episode is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're going to get. And I really like that about the series.

Chris0nllyn

Yes, I know that - now. :lmao: Since I started watching Season 4 first, the first one I watched was "USS Callister” aka the Star Trek episode. So far it is my favorite. About two episodes into season 3 now.

But each episode is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're going to get. And I really like that about the series.

That's my draw to it as well. When I started the Callister episode, I was thinking, "WTF is this?" but the draw is finding out the plot half way in.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
That's my draw to it as well. When I started the Callister episode, I was thinking, "WTF is this?" but the draw is finding out the plot half way in.

Well, considering that was my very first impression of the series, "WTF is this?" is quite an understatement. :lol:

I also watched a movie that pairs Robert Redford and Jane Fonda again called "Our Souls at Night." Very watchable and sweet. :yay:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Amazon Prime has "Electric Dreams" streaming now. It is very similar to Black Mirror. Some are good, some are disappointing. But if you are into the Black Mirror stuff, this will fill the void once you run out of those episodes.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Back in the day...

FB_IMG_1516885401897.jpg