Netflix profiles

Is anyone else taking advantage of this new feature for Netflix's streaming service yet?

For me, it's the best thing ever! Well, the best thing this year. Or the best thing this month anyway. Or, at least, the best thing this month relating to Netflix.

There are young children living in my house, so before separate profiles were implemented the suggestions from Netflix were mostly useless. It wasn't easy finding interesting stuff to watch, and I didn't have a good sense of what was available from Netflix. Everything that showed up was for young kids, because they do the great majority of the Netflix streaming on the account. So sometimes I ignored Netflix altogether for long-ish periods of time.

Now we each have our own profiles, with our own suggestions and que and viewing history. And all is well in the Netflix streaming world now. :yahoo:

Last edited:

Toxick

Splat
Is anyone else taking advantage of this new feature for Netflix's streaming service yet?

For me, it's the best thing ever! Well, the best thing this year. Or the best thing this month anyway. Or, at least, the best thing this month relating to Netflix.

There are young children living in my house, so before seperate profiles were implemented the suggestions from Netflix were mostly useless. It wasn't easy finding interesting stuff to watch, and I didn't have a good sense of what was available from Netflix. Everything that showed up was for young kids, because they do the great majority of the Netflix streaming on the account. So sometimes I ignored Netflix altogether for long-ish periods of time.

Now we each have our own profiles, with our own suggestions and que and viewing history. And all is well in the Netflix streaming world now. :yahoo:

Thanks for the tip! I haven't watched Netflix in several weeks, so I haven't seen it. I'll be setting up some profiles this evening! I have the same problem as you. I hop on there now and all I see is Zombies and Disney.

It'll be nice to see adult movies on my suggested titles again.

Not those kind of adult movies.

KDENISE977

Thanks for the tip! I haven't watched Netflix in several weeks, so I haven't seen it. I'll be setting up some profiles this evening! I have the same problem as you. I hop on there now and all I see is Zombies and Disney.

Yes, I have the same problem, when I was watching some
OITNB episodes and my kid would turn it on to "recently watched" and hit play I was like...."nooooooooo, not that one, that's NOT Barney" !! Do you set them up online?

They're rolling out the functionality over time, so it won't work on all devices yet. You should be able to go into your account from a browser and set up different profiles, and you should then be able to use whichever of those profiles you want when watching through a browser. You'll also be able to choose whichever of those profiles you want when watching through the Netflix app on an iOS device. I don't think Netflix has updated the functionality through the Android app yet though. And I'm not sure about the Windows mobile app, that was supposedly next up. I'm also not sure where they're at when it comes to various other devices - e.g. Blu-ray players that stream Netflix, Roku, smart TVs, XBox 360, Wii.

I read some comments that kind of layed out the order in which they expected to bring the functionality to different devices. I'll try to find those comments. In the meantime, if you stream stuff on a device that doesn't yet support profiles you'll be using the original profile on the account - but you can change the name of that profile if you want.

Oh, and I forgot, one other advantage of separate profiles is different settings for what can be viewed on a given profile. The profiles aren't individually password protected though, at least not yet.

Last edited:
Here's the August 1st press release from Netflix. Those aren't the comments I was referring to, they don't mention the timing for Android or Windows mobile apps. But they suggest that profiles are currently available on most smart TVs, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and iOS devices. I'm still not sure about Wii, Roku, and various other streaming devices.

Yes, I have the same problem, when I was watching some
OITNB episodes and my kid would turn it on to "recently watched" and hit play I was like...."nooooooooo, not that one, that's NOT Barney" !! Do you set them up online?

Yes, through a browser. You should see a manage profiles option when you go into the your account page.

KDENISE977

Has anyone been having trouble with Netflix? It's not loading on my television anymore. Works fine on my laptop and Iphone?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Has anyone been having trouble with Netflix? It's not loading on my television anymore. Works fine on my laptop and Iphone?

is there a firmware update for your TV ?

how the service is streamed may have changed and requires an update to the application

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I wondered if TV's need updates? How would I find this out?

my Western Digital TV Live box pops up a message at the bottom

the window shown in the attachment will have an extra Orange Box

Firmware Update

maybe google the model and 'fireware updates'

Radiant1

Soul Probe
My household now has four Netflix profiles. It's my son's account and he set them up so he didn't have to see my or his younger sister's suggestions anymore. :yay:

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I cancelled my Netflix, nothing but old movies. Maybe if they can get more current stuff then I'll renew.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Dexter S1-4 is back. Ive been wanting to watch the old ones again so that is nice. The Killing S3 is what Im watching now. Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and The League have all been great as well. If it wasn't for NF I would have never known about these shows.

KDENISE977

Dexter S1-4 is back. Ive been wanting to watch the old ones again so that is nice. The Killing S3 is what Im watching now. Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and The League have all been great as well. If it wasn't for NF I would have never known about these shows.

I love Breaking Bad and I'd have never seen it without Netflix. Orange is the New Black is awesome too. I am told that House of Cards is worthit too

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, documentaries and series, plus watching older classics with the kids as they get into an age to watch them.....