Netflix - The Social Dilemma

ShyGirl

The documentary talks about social media tech companies and how the business model based on big money advertising has morphed into outright manipulation of the general public.

I knew that they were data mining but had no clue what lengths they will go to in order to get you to behave a certain way. My jaw dropped at some of the tactics that they use.

No wonder the tech bosses were called to Capitol Hill. Holy chit.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The documentary talks about social media tech companies and how the business model based on big money advertising has morphed into outright manipulation of the general public.

I knew that they were data mining but had no clue what lengths they will go to in order to get you to behave a certain way. My jaw dropped at some of the tactics that they use.

No wonder the tech bosses were called to Capitol Hill. Holy chit.

Thanks! I'm having Monello cue it up right now!

mamaof1

Seriously disturbing.
Yes, it certainly was. I can't even look at facebook without thinking how much they are selling my info for?? It makes some of the recent escalation in behavior make sense.

This seems like an apology (or a heads up) from the creators. I don't think some of them had a clue it would turn for the worst.

Louise

Seriously disturbing.
Yes, it certainly was. I can't even look at facebook without thinking how much they are selling my info for?? It makes some of the recent escalation in behavior make sense.

This seems like an apology (or a heads up) from the creators. I don't think some of them had a clue it would turn for the worst.

We watched it a few days ago. It has been said for a long time that social media would make people less social. It is happening. You see it when people are walking together on their phones, and not talking to each other; their noses are in their phones. I cancelled my Facebook account several years ago. The only social media. I do, now, is Parler, and this forum. Never partook in the rest of it all; like Instagram, etc. Our Alexa was unplugged two years ago, thrown In the trash, and Siri is blocked on my phone and computer. And, I truly think I was the last person to get a microwave. God bless the USA.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We're watching it right now. Fascinating stuff. It's not really any different than traditional advertising, just on a bigger and more pervasive scale.

I could dump Twitter pretty easily. The only thing I use it for is to see what the durhard politicians and ahole media people are lying about, which just makes me mad. I don't even use Instagram, nor do I watch a lot of YouTube videos. I don't even know what SnapChat or TikTok do.

But I'd hate to give up Facebook because that's how I share pics etc with my friends and family, and find out what everyone's up to. I don't friend people I don't know.

Louise

We're watching it right now. Fascinating stuff. It's not really any different than traditional advertising, just on a bigger and more pervasive scale.

I could dump Twitter pretty easily. The only thing I use it for is to see what the durhard politicians and ahole media people are lying about, which just makes me mad. I don't even use Instagram, nor do I watch a lot of YouTube videos. I don't even know what SnapChat or TikTok do.

But I'd hate to give up Facebook because that's how I share pics etc with my friends and family, and find out what everyone's up to. I don't friend people I don't know.

Hub still does FB because of Marine and ultra running connections. Because of that, we see fam stuff, too. But, if I had my druthers, I would go back to the good ole days of actual human connection; not the crap of social media. I understand your forum is social media, but it is different from it all. Members have the choice to meet in person. Go, somd!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

I thought it was interesting and scary at the same time how some people are so easily manipulated by the media. I do use FB and have a Twitter & Snapchat, which I never use. I think after the years on here, I have learned what is BS pretty quickly and also know how to do my own homework. I also know how to keep scrolling and not fall into the pits of ideocracy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought it was interesting and scary at the same time how some people are so easily manipulated by the media. I do use FB and have a Twitter & Snapchat, which I never use. I think after the years on here, I have learned what is BS pretty quickly and also know how to do my own homework. I also know how to keep scrolling and not fall into the pits of ideocracy.

I think it's mostly young people who live their lives on the internet and rush to look at every notification. Hell, I barely read my texts. :lol:

But I do have adult friends & family who pass around ridiculous memes that are obviously fake. Typically I'll say something, other times I'm like, "I don't care about this" and scroll on.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I think it's mostly young people who live their lives on the internet and rush to look at every notification. Hell, I barely read my texts. :lol:

But I do have adult friends & family who pass around ridiculous memes that are obviously fake. Typically I'll say something, other times I'm like, "I don't care about this" and scroll on.
I'm not so sure. Especially during this scamdemic, people who refuse to leave the house because they will die, watch all the MSNBC, et al programs and are completely ate up with this and the the TDS. Someone close to me has gone off her rocker. :lol:

I was unfriended by a cousin in 2016 because of her TDS. :lmao:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Seriously disturbing.
I watched it last night and it was disturbing to see the manipulation and knowing how much of what they are doing is affecting young people. Parents should absolutely be encouraged to watch this.

Texting is a cool tool but I am not addicted to my phone and never will be. Facebook is great for keeping up with family and friends and I, for the most part, enjoy the forums daily. Email is necessary for my business but it will go away with my business on January 31, 2021.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
'If the algorithm of the internet were a highway, the internet would think we need more car accidents,' Joe Toscano says