Netflix will begin charging 'extra user' fees early next year

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
We all knew it was coming. The next phase of Netflix's months-long crackdown on password sharing — which itself follows the company's first quarterly subscriber loss in a decade — is soon upon us. The company announced during its quarterly earnings call on Tuesday that it will charge customers an added monthly fee to people who share their login credentials beginning in early 2023.

This move is an expansion of a pilot program currently running in Latin America which charges extra fees for "extra user" subaccounts, users outside of your immediate household who use your login to access the service. Basically, every listing on the "Who's Watching?" screen is going to cost you extra money if they don't also live with you.

The news comes as Netflix attempts to return to growth and settle investors after confirming it lost subscribers earlier in the year. With help from Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story and Season Four of Stranger Things, the company was able to add more than 2.4 million subscribers in its third quarter.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
So what if you go to a friend's house and use your logon to watch a movie together? Or spend a night at a hotel and login? How do they differentiate between you being there or not?

glhs837

Power with Control
So what if you go to a friend's house and use your logon to watch a movie together? Or spend a night at a hotel and login? How do they differentiate between you being there or not?

Pretty sure the hotel thing will be covered, Netflix knows where those logins are happening.

My daughter lives in MA, my son just moved to GA. IMO, they should be covered. I'm willing to prove they are family.