New Army Reserve center opens in White Plains

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Photo By Staff Sgt. Shawn Morris | Maj. Gen. Mark Palzer, commanding general of the U.S. Army Reserve’s 99th Readiness Division, cuts the ribbon Aug. 22 for the new Army Reserve center in Charles County, Maryland. Among those joining him are: U.S. Congressman Steny Hoyer, who represents Maryland’s Fifth Congressional District; Maryland State Senator Arthur Ellis; Delegate Edith Patterson, chair of the Charles County Delegation to the Maryland General Assembly; Charles County Delegate Debra Davis; Charles County Commissioner President Reuben Collins; Charles County Commissioner Thomasina Coates; and Gretchen Hardman, Intergovernmental Affairs Southern Maryland liaison for Maryland Governor Larry Hogan. The $22 million project features an 80,000-square-foot training facility, a 5,700-squre-foot maintenance shop and a 5,200-squre-foot storage building. The energy-efficient, environmentally friendly center is designed to serve Maryland’s Army Reserve Soldiers for decades to come.

Photo By Staff Sgt. Shawn Morris | Maj. Gen. Mark Palzer, commanding general of the U.S. Army Reserve’s 99th Readiness Division, cuts the ribbon Aug. 22 for the new Army Reserve center in Charles County, Maryland. Among those joining him are: U.S. Congressman Steny Hoyer, who represents Maryland’s Fifth Congressional District; Maryland State Senator Arthur Ellis; Delegate Edith Patterson, chair of the Charles County Delegation to the Maryland General Assembly; Charles County Delegate Debra Davis; Charles County Commissioner President Reuben Collins; Charles County Commissioner Thomasina Coates; and Gretchen Hardman, Intergovernmental Affairs Southern Maryland liaison for Maryland Governor Larry Hogan. The $22 million project features an 80,000-square-foot training facility, a 5,700-squre-foot maintenance shop and a 5,200-squre-foot storage building. The energy-efficient, environmentally friendly center is designed to serve Maryland’s Army Reserve Soldiers for decades to come.

CHARLES COUNTY, Md. – The U.S. Army Reserve hosted a ribbon-cutting ceremony Aug. 22 at its new training facility here.

Maj. Gen. Mark Palzer, commanding general of the Army Reserve's 99th Readiness Division, hosted the event.

"This new facility enhances readiness," Palzer said. "It's a state-of-the-art facility that provides 80,000 square feet in which over 600 Soldiers can train and prepare to train."

The $22 million project was designed by Frankfurt Short Bruza Associates and built by Sheffield Korte Joint Venture. It consists of the main training facility, as well as a 5,700-squre-foot maintenance shop and 5,200-squre-foot storage building.

"It's all about taking care of our Soldiers so they can take care of our nation," Palzer added. "Our greatest resource is our men and women in uniform."

Also speaking during the event was U.S. Congressman Steny Hoyer, who represents Maryland's Fifth Congressional District.

"It is the people that make this investment worthwhile, because without you, building this building would be a waste – it would have no purpose," Hoyer said. "It's those of you who bring your talents, and your courage, and your commitment to this building that make it significant and worthwhile to the taxpayer.

"This building is part of the means to achieve the security that we need as a nation," he continued. "This ribbon-cutting ceremony is a symbol of what happens when federal, state, local, and military stakeholders all work together for a common goal. I was proud to work closely with the county commissioners, with the Army Reserve center."

Delegate Edith Patterson, chair of the Charles County Delegation to the Maryland General Assembly, presented a citation to Palzer on behalf of State Senator Arthur Ellis and Delegate Debra Davis.

"We recognize and appreciate the crucial role this center plays in providing safety and risk-management policies to our defense agencies," Patterson read from the citation.

Presenting a framed Charles County Seal to the new facility were Charles County Commissioner President Reuben Collins and Commissioner Thomasina Coates.

"We're grateful that the Army Reserve chose our community as its new center's home," Collins said. "The Army Reserve center is an asset to our community."

Palzer added that the energy-efficient, environmentally friendly center would serve Maryland's Army Reserve Soldiers for decades to come.

"This facility will help ensure our Army Reserve remains the most capable, combat-ready and lethal federal reserve force in the nation's history," he said.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
I was out there on site many times during construction, it gave me a good excuse to have lunch at the Prime Street Grille, and never saw one of these holes out there once.

Lying bass-turds.

officeguy

What facility did they build at 225 and Rose Hill? Didn’t they change their mission and relocate them there?

That's the one I mean. I would like to know how much it cost that on a per square foot basis (and how much per sf for operations) vs. the reserve center that was built on an industrial parcel with water and sewer.

nutz

That's the one I mean. I would like to know how much it cost that on a per square foot basis (and how much per sf for operations) vs. the reserve center that was built on an industrial parcel with water and sewer.
part of it, One is Army Reserve and one is Army National Guard and never the two shall meet. The Guard facility $9.932 million in construction costs. I cant get the data for the Bowie Center, the site is down https://www.acq.osd.mil/asda-redirect/redirect.htm